Welcome to Thailand 1st 3 taxi not want to use meter!!

Elkski

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Actually a good thing when the taxi-driver turns you down, as you are dealing with a non-honest one.

So just turn him down and ask the next one.

When the cab-driver looks OK and quotes a fare (instead of using the meter), that's OK for me too when I am knowledgeable about the regular meter-fare for the trip and it's approx same.  Additional advantage would be that they will take shortest route in that case.

Just bear in mind that if you do get into a taxi that quoted a fare (even if you're happy with it) you are accepting a ride from a dishonest driver (no meter) and the agreed fare could alter if he wanted it to.  

Also remember that if a non-metered trip is agreed to, and it does go tits-up, there'd be no justification to complain about it later.  There's thousands of other taxis that will use the meter.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Thanks 1

I've been to Asiatique a few times and I always took the free boat from Saphan Taksin. 

Once I tried to take a Taxi home, as one of my wife's Thai friend was not comfortable going on the boat.  Two taxis refused to use their meters.  The guy who ran the Taxi queue apologized and told us that it would not be possible to find a taxi there who would turn on their meter, especially for a foreigner.

Rather than be trapped in a taxi with an angry husband and a crooked taxi driver, my wife forced her nervous friend back onto the boat!

BTW, why would you take a taxi from Tong lor to Asiatique anyway?  BTS to Saphan Taksin and free boat to Asiatique would be faster and cheaper.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mas4568 said:

No meter = a free ride. Everytime.

There's someone else whose "advice" should be ignored.

How many times has the free ride experience happened to you in Bangkok, then?

Does that mean that you only get into one of the few taxis that don't use the meter?

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:
18 minutes ago, Just Weird said:
1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

ask a taxi driver to do the job he is paid for

No taxi drivers are "paid to do the job", they are all self-employed and choose where their pay comes from.

They are (supposed to be) licensed taxi drivers - the licensing part is them agreeing to provide a service to the public within set guidelines. 

I'm aware of that but my point was that it's useless indignantly demanding that taxi drivers "do the job they're paid to do" as another poster did as they are all self-employed.

I was self-employed for the last 30-odd years of my working life and in that time I was never in the position of, not voluntarily, having to "do the job I was paid to do".

• Sad 1

Christmas night, flagged down 6 taxis to take us from Khaosan Rd Area home to Nonthaburi, every single one wanted 400 baht, and would not use the meter.  I have lived here for over 10 years, and this is I can say the first time I have had this issue.  Finally, found a taxi that took us home, and it was 11pm, meter on cost was 172 THB.  I think with the tourist season supposedly in high gear the drivers, who quote a price and not using a meter, are hungry because there are not as many people here as the claim has been made.

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

In my experience about the only trips that smelled bad were those visa runs vans - and it was not the Thai driver.  Of course an exception might be a ripe durian shopper being a previous taxi customer.   

The Moto mob is often a smelly bunch.  Saw a Chinese eating durian in the IO this month...smelled like rotten garbage, but not as bad as backpacker body odor in Chiang Mai.

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Christmas night, flagged down 6 taxis to take us from Khaosan Rd Area home to Nonthaburi, every single one wanted 400 baht, and would not use the meter.  I have lived here for over 10 years, and this is I can say the first time I have had this issue.  Finally, found a taxi that took us home, and it was 11pm, meter on cost was 172 THB.  I think with the tourist season supposedly in high gear the drivers, who quote a price and not using a meter, are hungry because there are not as many people here as the claim has been made.

32 and 64 busses go along the river to Major Cineplex...and do not get stopped at checkpoints, which are often leaving the KSR area.  Bang Pho MRT is on their routes, too, but won't be running late until April.  

I used to suffer the same problems in Bangkok. The only solution was to buy my own car and drive. Now I don't have to suffer smelly drivers, waiting in taxi queues and crazy off meter quotes. Now I can be stuck in traffic with the air con set at the temperature I want, listening to the music I want and relaxed knowing that my kids are strapped safely into their car/booster seats instead of being at the mercy of our maniac taxi driver weaving in and out of traffic. 

4 hours ago, moontang said:

32 and 64 busses go along the river to Major Cineplex...and do not get stopped at checkpoints, which are often leaving the KSR area.  Bang Pho MRT is on their routes, too, but won't be running late until April.  

Thanks Moontang, for the bus update, and yes if only MRT and BTS ran late it would be nice.  When we get caught out late its always fun to try and find a ride, most times I stand back and let the wife flag them down.  Somedays I wish I had a car down here instead of it being in Udon, but then I would be in a non moving parking lot most of the time.  I only use the taxis when all else is not possible.  It really pisses them off when I start to speak thai when they roll the window down, they then just roll it up and drive away.  It makes my wife laugh, and that's why I am relegated to the curb most times.  I actually had a Tuk Tuk driver take us home one night, he was cheap, and friendly.  We call him when we need help sometimes, and if he is available.

• Like 1

I will be a first time visitor come April.

While planning my itinerary I have created a destination sheet of paper with the location printed in English and Thai plus the phrase "Meter Only Please." I plan to show it to the driver when they stop.

It worked well in Vietnam when I did the same.

Hopefully it will help in Thailand.

56 minutes ago, theequalizer said:

While planning my itinerary I have created a destination sheet of paper with the location printed in English and Thai plus the phrase "Meter Only Please." I plan to show it to the driver when they stop.

When I caught a taxi in Hanoi, I was pleased when the driver readily agreed to use the meter. This meter then proceeded to spin around like a time lapse video of a clock face.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2019 at 12:43 PM, moe666 said:

Yes, flag your ride down to walk up to a parked taxi will result with a no meter response at least 90 percent of the time

yes, yes,  yes, avoid any taxi that is hanging around, especially at a tourist place, don't look or act like a tourist and flag a taxi down, common sense. i very rarely have any problems getting a taxi or with taxi drivers.

• Like 2

On 12/28/2019 at 1:07 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Taxi's in the Tourist areas: Mostly want a fixed fare

Taxi's in the Tourist areas: Most (6 out of 7) Reject the ride when I speak Thai

Taxi's outside the Tourist areas: Rarely want a fixed fare

Taxi's outside the Tourist areas: Rarely if ever Reject the ride when I speak Thai

What has speaking Thai got to do with rejection rate? ???

On 12/28/2019 at 12:51 PM, CNXexpat said:

You had more bad luck in one single day than me in many years. I never made this experience at the airport. 2 times I entered a taxi in the city, the driver didn´t turn on the meter, I said "meter please" and he turned it on. 

I  open the back door and say no meter no go  then walk away leaving the door open .????

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 12/28/2019 at 12:58 PM, Elkski said:

Flagged down all 3 taxis.  My thai friend  expects  70% rejection.   They dont even want to take her.  This has been my experience  7 trips  6 months  total.   

Well clearly you are doing something wwrong because I have 100s of trips in just the past 18 months and only one problem (that I took care of to my satisfaction) .....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, theequalizer said:

I will be a first time visitor come April.

Hopefully it will help in Thailand.

Dont overthing it dude and dont pay attention to the whingers who complain about taxis all the time. Most of us never have any problem. Just use google maps. Know your route and your distance and keep maps running while riding (even I do that if I dont know where I am going 100%). Always try to plan your trip around a major landmark or BTS or MRT. Always flag one down, dont use the parked ones. Walk away from tourist venues before hailing one. Open back door, say, for example, On Nut BTS. Wat Po. Hyatt Erewan. MBK. etc You dont need to even say meter if they say yes to the ride. If they say X baht, say thanks and close the door and look for the next one.

Basically every where you would go as a visitor if you are staying in central BKK is 100-150 baht on the meter depending on traffic.

Edited by Nyezhov

9 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Refusing a fare is illegal - not that anything being illegal has any relevance in Thailand - and the authorities obviously are aware of the problem. It is equally obvious that they don't care. They do a token 'crackdown' for a few hours outside a Bangkok shopping centre once a year, and that's it.

If they were serious they would get dozens of soldiers out of a barracks where they do who-knows-what all day, all week, all year, and get then to go out in civvies and ask a taxi driver to do the job he is paid for - the only job he has to do - and take them somewhere. And if they refuse or won't use the meter then arrest them. And do it day after day, all over Bangkok, until the message gets out that every driver who breaks the law will not be driving anywhere.

Outside of Bangkok, especially at the resorts where every driver does their best to give out a negative impression to tourists who expect to receive the same kind of service they get at home and then discover Thailand isn't like back home, arrest them all. If the local police chief refuses, jail him too for dereliction of duty and at the same time examine his bank accounts and then charge him as well with corruption.

But none of this will happen, because those who would instigate such measures don't take taxis, so they don't care.

At best, I think it may be technically written up somewhere that it is illegal for taxis to refuse. It is actually against the law to have oral/anal sex in many states too. 

Let's just say that is the law that is written somewhere "taxis cannot refuse fares". Ok... still does not work. 

Most taxis are rented. What if the taxi needs to be back and the fare is going to make him hours late to return it?

How are you going to enforce it?

What if a fare is from Pattaya to Ubon Ratchatani (or any distance in between)? He is compelled to take the trip? Nonsense. 

The "illegal to refuse a fare" thing is a myth and it needs to die. Effectively it is nonsense and telling people this does them and the taxis drivers a disservice. 

Edited by utalkin2me
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The taxi concept is outdated and inefficient. The traffic jams in central Bangkok after midnight comprise 90% empty taxi's cruising for a fare.  Taxi ranks would help, but on-line ride hailing with apps like Grab are more efficient and so are also better for the environment.

As the taxi trade reduces the bad practices are likely to increase, hastening the death of a concept that has exceeded its useful life.

Then in the longer term I reckon self driving cabs will replace Grab/Uber drivers.  Perhaps the self drivng tuk-tuks of the future could add a few random diversions to gem stores, tailors and bars for the sake of tradition, but cab driving is a doomed profession.