Welcome to Thailand 1st 3 taxi not want to use meter!!

Elkski

On December 28, 2019 at 11:56 AM, Elkski said:

siatique and 3 taxi say 300.  Refuse to use  meter.  One guy I explained I can turn his number into tourist police he say I not care. 

I sometimes think my life is pretty boring. Then I read a few posts in some threads on TV and realize, comparatively speaking, how fascinating it really must be.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/28/2019 at 1:07 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed... And even when flagging down a taxi, if they pull up with locked doors and just open the window to hear your destination I just ignore them and move on to the next taxi as a high percentage of these guys will refuse you. 

Outside of the central area's getting a taxi is ok. In the popular, busier areas getting a taxi can be a pain in the backside with repeated (i.e. 6 rejections) in a row before a taxi driver will agree to your destination. 

Grab is much much better and I'm happy to pay a little more for the knowledge that there is a level of mutual accountability as both accounts are digitally registered. 

In my experience: 

Taxi's in the Tourist areas: Mostly want a fixed fare

Taxi's in the Tourist areas: Most (6 out of 7) Reject the ride when I speak Thai

Taxi's outside the Tourist areas: Rarely want a fixed fare

Taxi's outside the Tourist areas: Rarely if ever Reject the ride when I speak Thai

Agree with everything. From home I usually take meter taxi, rarely ever refused. On the way back it’s always grab, often at rush hour when sitting in a meter taxi can end up costing a lot more. Using Grab frequently also gets you more promos.

On 12/29/2019 at 10:48 AM, Isaanbiker said:

Guy took a shower today and not look like a crook.  

I've mostly had Isaan cabbies who were very polite to me and always used the meter.

And all of them had taken a shower, none of them smelled bad. 

It's true that IME most of the taxi drivers who come from Isaan seem friendliest, most talkative, and most honest. 

The problems I get are usually the newer looking vehicles with smartly dressed drivers I flag down in Bangkok. Either want fixed price (usually 2 to 3 times meter) or don't want to go distance. 

Locally, most are really good and helpful.

I had to many bags   (4 )for bts as I  had daily cold food bag and gifts plus my clothes.  3 free check on bags on delta  but I only used  2 and no where near the max size or weight. I was not going to actual asiatique  but a condo  nearby.  As it was I walked a long distance.   I bet I've put 20 km on the Costco carry on luggage.   Usually with a 2nd bag on top.   I thought I read where the government  stated  that taxi's  must accept a rider if they choose to stop and encouraged tourists to report taxis who would not take a  fare or use the meter. 

Edited by Elkski

On 12/29/2019 at 10:04 PM, steven100 said:

I guess this type of action only adds fuel to the fire as to why Thais hate farang coming here.

I don't consider your actions to be correct.

Although the driver should use the meter, there are more civil ways to handle such a situation.

Why not just ask and if he says no … just get another  

I hate taxis that don't use the meter , could care less if they hate me .

Grab price today with bonus in effect was 560 from  iconsiam to asoke.   Private driver hotel called quoted 260.   It was nice 26 min ride.  Dont tell me these taxi types dont make enough money.   

On 12/29/2019 at 10:48 AM, Isaanbiker said:

Guy took a shower today and not look like a crook.  

I've mostly had Isaan cabbies who were very polite to me and always used the meter.

And all of them had taken a shower, none of them smelled bad. 

There are many taxi drivers who come from Isaan; when we chat with them, which is easy given the time passing in their taxi, it suffices to say where we come from and all of a sudden the conversation starts;
I like the smell of cow dung or the smell of raw rubber balls; it reminds me of a good Camembert ;

see photo below 

828484187_camembertcoulant.jpg.21cb49d9014efdcbaee1e72bceb15832.jpg

On 12/28/2019 at 5:30 AM, lopburi3 said:

Were these parked taxi or did you flag them down?  The gamers normally park at busy/tourist locations and may ask extra.  Thai normally ask as drivers do have issues if not a private owned vehicle and have to return cars at a set time.  Very seldom have had any issues flagging down (although one or two may not want to travel to a distant destination another is normally only a few seconds wait).  Have been using taxi service here for more than 50 years and find almost all to be hard workers and honest.  Since taxi meter became law it is even better.  Yes perhaps would expect more if paying New York City prices - but at the low cost here consider it very good.

Correct, I always noticed that, less likely to have problems when you flag down a moving taxi.

Another thing being, the flag fall on taxi meters is the same as it was 20+ years ago, 35 Baht. I'm not surprised that this is a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had 6 taxis in a row at terminal 21 refuse us.    Going to  thonglor soi 6.   I know  economics  but there is a law and I assure you I was irate.   I videoed a few of them.  Good thing was they lost their place in the taxi  line and had to exit out onto Suk.  Hopefully they understand " tourist police "  and worry for a second  about a ticket.   I may actually file a complaint Saturday.   If no one ever complains this <deleted> will continue.  I will also post about taxis and the bad air on every social and Thailand  board I am on.  This is with a thai person doing all the talking. 

Edited by Elkski

On 1/1/2020 at 2:53 PM, Nyezhov said:

Even I, with my rudimentary Thai, end up in pidgen chats with the cab drivers

Where you come from?

America!

Oooooohhhhh America! OK, ok! (he knows hes getting tipped)

Where you come from?

Loi et.

Oooooh, LA! Isaan people jai dee. Mor Lam, ganghza, Laab!

Oooooh, good, good, you have Isaan Lady?

etc

I did not repost the pic of the cheese because I will just reflexively lick the screen.

Yup, that's pre-school English and Thai conversation alright.

Next time do a recording and post onto Youtube.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Elkski said:

This was at the terminal 21 official taxi station facing  Suk

Which does help explain it - they felt they had paid their dues waiting in queue for a piece of the foreigner pie that is Sukhumvit Road.  Most queue make no attempt to control vehicles so as is so often advised stopping a moving vehicle is usually the best choice.  

I don't know why this is such a problem for people. It's their taxi. They don't want the fare! How many times I driver turned me down in NYC? Many. It's their business, up to them.

They fancied not sitting in two hours of traffic for 100b

Of course you flagged the taxi down right?

Typical tourist whine.

• Sad 4

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

I don't know why this is such a problem for people. It's their taxi. They don't want the fare! How many times I driver turned me down in NYC? Many. It's their business, up to them.

They fancied not sitting in two hours of traffic for 100b

Of course you flagged the taxi down right?

Typical tourist whine.

Stupidly on display or satire?

So there is no rule that a taxi must take the fare? Within reason.    And use the meter?  I thought I read where the government wants people to report if a taxi wont use the meter. 

The ride was only 20 mins not 2 hours.

The fact is this is a black eye on Thailand.   Sorry if you think it's ok for a taxi to refuse  to do his job.  Maybe you feel the same way about your doctor, masseuse,  or the diner?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Stupidly on display or satire?

So there is no rule that a taxi must take the fare? Within reason.    And use the meter?  I thought I read where the government wants people to report if a taxi wont use the meter. 

The ride was only 20 mins not 2 hours.

The fact is this is a black eye on Thailand.   Sorry if you think it's ok for a taxi to refuse  to do his job.  Maybe you feel the same way about your doctor, masseuse,  or the diner?

Black eye on Thailand - couldn't get a lift in the middle of a traffic jam. Good laff thar

Yes, I do. People offer services under whatever conditions they choose. I have the option to use or reject the services.

I realize I may be in the minority but I wholly side with the taxi drivers regardless of any stupid law which they blatantly disregard because there's no way a poor person is going to act to actively lose himself money. Wake up and stop acting so entitled.

Moreover, anyone not on life support would know not to try and get a standing taxi anywhere, but especially Sukhumvhit. Then you complain about it.

Arguably, the taxi is sitting and not looking for fares.

Sukhumvhit is very crowded and a bone creaking slow go. I have every sympathy for the driver.

Take a motorcycle.

Edited by Number 6
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Black eye on Thailand - couldn't get a lift in the middle of a traffic jam. Good laff thar

Yes, I do. People offer services under whatever conditions they choose. I have the option to use or reject the services.

I realize I may be in the minority but I wholly side with the taxi drivers regardless of any stupid law which they blatantly disregard because there's no way a poor person is going to act to actively lose himself money. Wake up and stop acting so entitled.

Moreover, anyone not on life support would know not to try and get a standing taxi anywhere, but especially Sukhumvhit. Then you complain about it.

Arguably, the taxi is sitting and not looking for fares.

Sukhumvhit is very crowded and a bone creaking slow go. I have every sympathy for the driver.

Take a motorcycle.

How long have you enabled this behavior?  So you cant complain but I can.   There is always traffic in BKK.  They were taxis in the pickup lane of terminal 21.  Oh I guess that means they didnt want work?  Means  they can refuse fares?    Let's just see how this concept goes over with the real World. 

• Like 2

I would love to see some real data on this, or even a realistic simulation: is it actually more profitable to hang around Sukhumvit all day and deny fares or is it better to take any fare, even if it’s across the river to an estate where it is “unlikely” they’ll get a return fare? The drivers around Sukhumvit all hope for the “big one”, the stupid rookie foreigner or a western family in town for the first time wanting to “see the sights”. These customers still exist, but with Grab and the Internet they must be getting as rare as white rhinos. So it would be interesting to play out which strategy is the most lucrative one. Saying no to a fare because Sukhumvit is jammed is just silly. It’s jammed from 7 am - 10 pm. At least. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, androokery said:

Saying no to a fare because Sukhumvit is jammed is just silly. It’s jammed from 7 am - 10 pm. At least. 

But the time change here is 120 baht per hour - in Utah that would average about $35 per hour.  Remember the drivers are making very little after they expense rental/car payments/tax/maintenance/repairs/equipment as only their labor is cheap here - other items are often close or even more than in other countries.  But as said there normally is a choice here with the many taxi available so one can be found fairly quickly to accept meter fare.  As they supposed to do so?  Yes.  But is it really worth getting a stroke over?  It is our choice to take or not.  

• Thanks 1

I understand there are business costs.  By this same  assumption you agree a taxi is a business.   So fo you think it's ok for a cake shop to refuse to bake for a same sex couple or fat farang? I dont set the cab time and mileage fees.  Evidently they cab driver was aware of these rates.  It was close to 100 baht for the 15 min ride.  It seems they like airport runs but that is usually less than 300 baht from asoke.  And maybe would have been  45 mins.  I just dont see how refusing  a fare  is a good economic choice.     I was firing up grab when  we got a taxi.  Taxis cant cry losing revenue to grab imho

4 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Taxis cant cry losing revenue to grab imho

Why not?  Unless they are actually a taxi (which many are) they are registered as private vehicles.  In the old days private vehicle 'taxi' was the only type taxi allowed on Don Muang Airport (cars of officers mostly) and we would play cat and mouse getting into town avoiding police checkpoints.  In more than one police chase (expecting gun shots but police calmly took DL from driver each time - he would then have to go to station an pay fine).  Private vehicles are not allowed by law to carry paying passengers. 

11 minutes ago, Elkski said:

So fo you think it's ok for a cake shop to refuse to bake for a same sex couple or fat farang?

Got no issue with same sex but fat farang perhaps.  ????

Perhaps better that we lean to live with the different norms around this world rather than telling everyone we are right and they are wrong (even if we my be right part of the time).  And yes I had issues with taxi drivers here when you had to negotiate price for all rides and I was much younger.  But the sums are so small as to make it really foolish.

17 minutes ago, Elkski said:

It was close to 100 baht for the 15 min ride.

It must have been major stop time as I normally pay about that price for about 30-40 minute trip on very slow moving Lat Phao Road.  But we are only talking about $3 fare point to point (which is probably close to the walk to/from bus in USA).

4 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

But the time change here is 120 baht per hour - in Utah that would average about $35 per hour.  Remember the drivers are making very little after they expense rental/car payments/tax/maintenance/repairs/equipment as only their labor is cheap here - other items are often close or even more than in other countries.  But as said there normally is a choice here with the many taxi available so one can be found fairly quickly to accept meter fare.  As they supposed to do so?  Yes.  But is it really worth getting a stroke over?  It is our choice to take or not.  

My point is more around the fact that the drivers are sitting in their taxis ON or NEAR Sukhumvit and not accepting fares ON Sukhumvit because the traffic is too slow. It is an everyday occurrence. We would all be better off if they were somewhere else. 

9 hours ago, androokery said:

My point is more around the fact that the drivers are sitting in their taxis ON or NEAR Sukhumvit and not accepting fares ON Sukhumvit because the traffic is too slow. It is an everyday occurrence. We would all be better off if they were somewhere else. 

Lower Sukhumvit has been the tourist honey hole for the 50 years I have been coming to Bangkok - always the chance of making good money on private trips/hire/kickbacks from customers/destinations there so popular with some groups of drivers who stick like glue.  But as anywhere there will be a good percentage of the moving drivers not out for the quick baht and willing to accept meter paying pax and thankful for any small tip above the meter price.  Normally tips are not asked or expected here - so would avoid giving much (less then to next 10 baht) but if they stuck in traffic and provide good service a bit more might be reasonable.  But would give to friendly driver rather than any that suggest you should (that normally does not happen here as in other countries but there are a few bad apples in every city).  

12 hours ago, Elkski said:

I understand there are business costs.  By this same  assumption you agree a taxi is a business.   So fo you think it's ok for a cake shop to refuse to bake for a same sex couple or fat farang? I dont set the cab time and mileage fees.  Evidently they cab driver was aware of these rates.  It was close to 100 baht for the 15 min ride.  It seems they like airport runs but that is usually less than 300 baht from asoke.  And maybe would have been  45 mins.  I just dont see how refusing  a fare  is a good economic choice.     I was firing up grab when  we got a taxi.  Taxis cant cry losing revenue to grab imho

No actually you don't.

I can go across town from Thai Cultural Center to Sai Tai Mai on 330pm Friday, in traffic for some ridiculous price of b225. Its taken 2.5hrs sometimes. What sort of profit and motivation is in that?

And yes, I think a cake shop can sell to whomever they wish, or not. But that is beside the point.

Soon all those Grab morons will wake up and realize their time + wear on auto and costs is not worth driving. It's Uber, a race to the bottom.

It doesn't even matter if you see it. It doesn't even matter if it's a bad choice they're making. It's their choice, not yours. If the rates were double or triple one could argue that they are being paid reasonable wages and with their public licence comes responsibility. But these guys hot seat the cab in 12 hour shifts, sleep in their cars, live in their cars. You're not entitled to anything in Asia, especially a foreigner. Come down off your high horse.

On that trip to Sai Tai Mai I usually tip b50 btw. Chatuchak mrt to chaeng wattana I tip 20.

• Sad 1

On 1/17/2020 at 3:57 PM, Elkski said:

Just had 6 taxis in a row at terminal 21 refuse us.    Going to  thonglor soi 6.   I know  economics  but there is a law and I assure you I was irate.   I videoed a few of them.  Good thing was they lost their place in the taxi  line and had to exit out onto Suk.  Hopefully they understand " tourist police "  and worry for a second  about a ticket.   I may actually file a complaint Saturday.   If no one ever complains this <deleted> will continue.  I will also post about taxis and the bad air on every social and Thailand  board I am on.  This is with a thai person doing all the talking. 

Why not use the BTS ?

• Like 2