Welcome to Thailand 1st 3 taxi not want to use meter!!

Elkski

10 hours ago, Number 6 said:

No actually you don't.

I can go across town from Thai Cultural Center to Sai Tai Mai on 330pm Friday, in traffic for some ridiculous price of b225. Its taken 2.5hrs sometimes. What sort of profit and motivation is in that?

And yes, I think a cake shop can sell to whomever they wish, or not. But that is beside the point.

Soon all those Grab morons will wake up and realize their time + wear on auto and costs is not worth driving. It's Uber, a race to the bottom.

It doesn't even matter if you see it. It doesn't even matter if it's a bad choice they're making. It's their choice, not yours. If the rates were double or triple one could argue that they are being paid reasonable wages and with their public licence comes responsibility. But these guys hot seat the cab in 12 hour shifts, sleep in their cars, live in their cars. You're not entitled to anything in Asia, especially a foreigner. Come down off your high horse.

On that trip to Sai Tai Mai I usually tip b50 btw. Chatuchak mrt to chaeng wattana I tip 20.

cheap charlie

• Thanks 1

Welcome to thailand, it's just the way it is here, I/we guarantee you will not be able to change, though we all wish you luck and would be ingratiated if you did.  Otherwise, enjoy the country, and assume you will die near or on a road here.  Google "Thailand road deaths stats" if you don't believe me...

Was in BKK for a few days over the new year.

No issues getting taxi to turn on the meter  (told them my destination in Thai).

I was testing out Grab (I used it for the airport runs) and was generally showing up 2x the meter price (ie. Thong Lo to Chinatown, 211THB Grab / 95THB meter)

6 hours ago, mike787 said:

Otherwise, enjoy the country, and assume you will die near or on a road here.  Google "Thailand road deaths stats" if you don't believe me...

I don't believe you.  Have been on the roads of Thailand using most local transportation for more than 50 years and have never been involved in an accident greater than fender bender.  If you avoid motorcycles there is only a normal small chance of death on highway here.  Use motorcycle and your odds greatly increase (almost all road deaths are motorcycle riders).  

Only 12 percent of Thailand's road traffic deaths involved occupants of cars or other light vehicles

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/19/world/asia/thailand-inequality-road-fatalities.html

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I don't believe you.  Have been on the roads of Thailand using most local transportation for more than 50 years and have never been involved in an accident greater than fender bender.  If you avoid motorcycles there is only a normal small chance of death on highway here.  Use motorcycle and your odds greatly increase (almost all road deaths are motorcycle riders).  

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/19/world/asia/thailand-inequality-road-fatalities.html

You don't believe me - DON"T! I/we don't believe you.  You have a choice to live your life as you see fit.  In the end maybe you are right.  We should all follow your advice, throw all caution to the wind.  WHy not?  Thai roads are safe.  Ok everyone, did you all read that, "THai roads are safe" it's official. 

I try to be open-minded but I'm at a loss to know what kind of Live's some of you guys have lived or where you grew up at that allows you accept this Behavior?  Even deny that it happens to som ed of  us or how can you  be cheerleaders for taxi service in Thailand?  But with the complacent attitude of some of you people  its no Wonder Thailand is the way it is today

3 hours ago, Elkski said:

I try to be open-minded but I'm at a loss to know what kind of Live's some of you guys have lived or where you grew up at that allows you accept this Behavior?  Even deny that it happens to som ed of  us or how can you  be cheerleaders for taxi service in Thailand?  But with the complacent attitude of some of you people  its no Wonder Thailand is the way it is today

Perhaps you could try a bit harder.

If Utah standards fits you that is fine.  But many of us have lived in the world outside and have very different opinions and would appreciate not being told we are wrong if they are different than yours and somehow we are the cause of what you seem to dislike about Thailand.  We are just trying to explain that the price paid does not justify the higher standards you so desire and with the lower wage here people would not be able to pay for such.