Anyone have Personal Accident Insurance

scubascuba3

I've been thinking about this for ages, it's to cover medical expenses for an accident incl motorbike.

Axa has these up to age 65

200k per accident 6,300 baht year

500k per accident 15,000 baht per year

625k per accident 15,000 baht per year. Slightly different cover.

Thoughts on that? or experience of trying to claim?

It's either an alternative to health insurance or as well as, to be decided

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

isn't that offered \ compulsory when opening certain bank accounts? you'll probably find the cover per accident is very low like 20k

You may well be rght, never looked that closely at it, but know its there and widely available as "basic cover" to many.

Just now, Pattaya46 said:

Uh? I saw that Thai banks have indeed offers for accident insurances, but don't remind any of them being free !

Well as we all know nothing is really free with these type of things, but yes, dependent on which Card you BUY there is a level of insurance included with that card and the fee is payable annually for that card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

// dependent on which Card you BUY there is a level of insurance included with that card and the fee is payable annually for that card.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

reports of people being charged 6k for this very poor cover

Ok. My card cost me 200 B per year,

so I doubt there is any insurance included in that price :wink:

Just now, Pattaya46 said:

Ok. My card cost me 200 B per year,

so I doubt there is any insurance included in that price :wink:

As a comparison mine and the wife is 800 baht yr, so 1600 for us and I know its included but cant remember the actual level but at that price it wont be much. ????

but something is better than nothing.

It is something that I have always been going to take out but never got around to it or the wife wanted to use a broker that she never found.

On paper they are sensible policies, but how good they are at paying out I do not know. As far as your bike is concerned you are probably covered by the compulsory insurance. I had a small accident and it paid for my hospital visit, including xrays and many dressing changes at the local clinic.

3 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

It is something that I have always been going to take out but never got around to it or the wife wanted to use a broker that she never found.

On paper they are sensible policies, but how good they are at paying out I do not know. As far as your bike is concerned you are probably covered by the compulsory insurance. I had a small accident and it paid for my hospital visit, including xrays and many dressing changes at the local clinic.

Yes the compulsory covers 30k of medical costs, 80k if not your fault (i imagine proving that is unlikely).

I'm thinking now maybe just opt for health insurance with no deductible then personal accident insurance isn't needed

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm thinking now maybe just opt for health insurance with no deductible then personal accident insurance isn't needed

Depending on your age if you include out patient (so covers GreasyFngers type issue above) then it will be relatively expensive. For that reason many over 60's on here seem to have In patient only. From memory many Pacific Cross policies offer something like a 25% discount if you don't have out patient cover.

I think @Sheryl (apologies if taking your name in vain) said she had PA cover in addition to her International health insurance policy. 

Yes I do. It is pretty affordable and unlike my main health indurance covers outpatient.  The total cover is low, past around 60-65 the most you can get is 200k baht but this came in handy this year as it covered the USD 500 deductible on my main insurance when I tequired hospitaluzation after an accident. And the year prior I used it to cover extended outpatient treatment for a cat bite that led to cellulitis.

After I think age 80 or 85 you can no longer get meaningful medical cover in a PA policy.

12 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

I have personal accident insurance; cost: 5,000 baht/year; coverage: 1,000,000 baht

If that is a Thai policy it is almost certianly not 1 million in medical costs.

Mine is a 1 million polucy too but that is the death benefit. The way these things are set up the emphasis is on payment for death or dismemberment not medical care.

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Mine is a 1 million polucy too but that is the death benefit. The way these things are set up the emphasis is on payment for death or dismemberment not medical care.

I'll have to check on that and get back to you. When I asked about it last night, I was told the coverage was 1 million.

What company is your policy with, Sheryl?  Three years ago, I fell getting off of a motorcycle taxi and split open the skin on my elbow.  The total care, including stitches cost me 15,000.  The 20,000 would have covered me and so I'd like to buy a policy now.  The coverage from BKK Bank, as I remember, wasn't adequate so I didn't buy it.  20,000 seems adequate for cuts and scrapes but not, of course, for broken bones.

50 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It's always tricky selecting the cover you want vs premium, with the Axa mentioned it's 200k medical cover for 6.5k or 625k cover for 15k. Why did you go for the 200k?

16 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

What company is your policy with, Sheryl?  Three years ago, I fell getting off of a motorcycle taxi and split open the skin on my elbow.  The total care, including stitches cost me 15,000.  The 20,000 would have covered me and so I'd like to buy a policy now.  The coverage from BKK Bank, as I remember, wasn't adequate so I didn't buy it.  20,000 seems adequate for cuts and scrapes but not, of course, for broken bones.

My limit is 200k not 20k. Bangkok Insurance Co and I selected it because it was the highest medical cover acailable amonf lical PA policies. Cost a little ovet 6000 a year. Strongly tecommend getting through a broker. Can be hard to deal with the company.

If under I think 65 I think you can get much higher cover through Siam City.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's always tricky selecting the cover you want vs premium, with the Axa mentioned it's 200k medical cover for 6.5k or 625k cover for 15k. Why did you go for the 200k?

That was the highest cover I could get at my age. Costs about 6.5k. 

In the end i went for the Axa 6,900 baht per year option which covers 650k baht medical cover per accident.

I went to AA Brokers, but you generally get the office junior in the first desk whose knowledge is skin deep and asking questions doesn't get you very far. If i buy again I'll just go to the Axa office on Sukhumvit, might speed up the processing also

Edited by scubascuba3

6 hours ago, kiever said:

axa accident insurance doesntr coverage motobike accidents . do you know a good accident insurance that covers also motobike accidents ?

qq.jpg

It is covered if endorsed which my policy is

IMG_20191230_182410353.jpg

Edited by scubascuba3

11 hours ago, kiever said:

axa accident insurance doesntr coverage motobike accidents . do you know a good accident insurance that covers also motobike accidents ?

qq.jpg

Please don't forget to read article 3.2

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, up-country_sinclair said:

Which company do you use?  Have you made a claim?  Were they helpful?

The company is Muang Thai and, knock on wood, I have not had to file a claim. I've since learned that my coverage is 100,000 in medical expenses and 1,000,000 if I die. Since Sheryl posted that her coverage is 200,000 with Bangkok Insurance Co., I am going to ask my agent if it is possible to increase the medical portion, otherwise I might check with Bangkok next time renewal comes up.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Many ‘accident’ policies in Thailand provides medical/hospital.  But only for accidents OTHER than driving/riding motorcycle.  But brokers will tell you that you are covered while riding a motorcycle.   

Putting faith in brokers is touching.  Understand this point: that brokers can say ANYthing, but it is the POLICY which is the legal document.  A broker is the reason I am making these posts: because the broker told me this 7,000 baht policy would pay my Medical/Hospital bills of 200,000 baht for driving/riding a motorcycle.  It will not.  The policy WILL pay for accidents but NOT for Medical/Hospital for motorcycle accidents. An 'Accident Policy" from, for example, BKI does NOT cover MEDICAL/HOSPITAL for driving/riding on a motorcycle--and it may not even cover loss of life/limb/eye/disability for driving/riding motorcycle (see below).

Words from brokers are NOT what determines what the policy pays for. 

Please note re any insurance being sold to you in Thailand, before you buy you need to obtain a copy of the actual Policy.  The Policy is *not* the ‘coverages’ or ‘Declaration’.  The Policy is a booklet or long PDF document.  When you get the policy you need to first jump to the Exclusions section.  Read that.  That is what your policy specifically excludes. If your broker tells you different, then you are smelling a fish. 

Because what the Policy actually covers is in the actual Policy.

Weasel words, and weasel sentences and weasel posts cannot change the wording of the Policy and that brokers in Thailand can get away with saying all sorts of things they couldn't get away with in a place with strict rules for insurance misrepresentation.

The wording of the Policy is what rules.  If a broker tells you that your medical bills are covered while driving/riding a motorcycle but the POLICY THE BROKER SENT YOU  says this--“This insurance does not cover loss or injury while the insured is riding or traveling on a motorcycle"--then THAT is what rules.

And if the coverage page--for ex, the "Personal Accident Happy 45+"--says NOTHING about Medical/Hospital for driving/riding motorcycle, then that is even more proof BKI PCL will not be paying your Medical/Hospital bills for driving/riding motorcycle.  (The 'Personal Accident Happy 45+" coverage page just says 'medical for accidents' but the 'accidents' they are talking about are accidents EXCLUDING driving/riding motorcycle.  Always read the Exclusions section)

And if you point these things out to your broker, they may then send you an Extended Cover page, as they did with me.   But if the so-called 'extended cover rider' they send you does not say clearly something like 'This policy is hereby amended to pay his Medical/Hospital bills while driving/riding a motorcycle', then you know beyond a reasonable doubt that they are full of s*#t.  What you WILL see on their so-called 'Extended Cover' is the following--just note that nowhere on that so-called 'Extended Cover' does it CLEARLY say you will be covered that way.  What is says goes like this: " Medical Treatment will be paid “but not exceeding the sum insured specified in the POLICY schedule”.

Get it?  The broker sends you emails telling you "Our Personal Accident Happy 45+ will pay your medical/hospital for driving/riding motorcycle".  Then when you point out the language in their legal documents (the actual Policy) that says they will Not pay for that then your broker says 'Hey, we can send you an extended cover" and when you read it you notice that nowhere in the document does it say your Medical Hospital for driving/riding motorcycle. What it says goes like what was sent me: Medical Treatment will be paid “but not exceeding the sum insured specified in the POLICY schedule”.

The full ‘sentence’ is actually this: “The coverage description of item 4 Medical Expense under the Insuring Agreement of Or (sic) Bor (sic) 1. (sic) is deemed to cancel and to replace (sic) by herebelow (sic) stated: “Coverage for….medical treatment..etc “but not exceeding the sum insured specified in the Policy schedule”.

And we all know what the Policy and the Policy Schedule says about medical/hospital-riding-driving-motorcycle.  Nothing!

And note one more thing.  No extra money was being asked of me for this so-called 'Extended Cover'.  Why?  The reason is: there really is no extended cover! 

Note that it does not say "medical treatment for driving/riding motorcycle'.  And the most important language is the following "the sum insured specified in the POLICY schedule".  And, guess what!!?? The 'Policy Schedule" says NOTHING about Medical/Hosp driving/riding motorcycle. The Policy Schedule talks about loss of life, limb, eye, disability.  But the real kicker--the real reason even THIS life/limb/etc coverage is in doubt is because the actual Policy Exclusion says -“This insurance does not cover loss or injury while the insured is riding or traveling on a motorcycle". 

If Bangkok Insurance PCL (BKI PCL) wants to claim their 'Personal Accident Happy 45+ will pay for Medical/Hospital (or loss of limb/life/disability) while riding/driving a motorcycle then the policy and the coverage page needs to clearly say this.  But if anywhere in the documents it says (as the BKI PCL says) the following--“This insurance does not cover loss or injury while the insured is riding or traveling on a motorcycle"--then that should be a huge WARNING sign. 

Words from brokers are NOT what determines what the policy pays for. 

How many people do you think have been fooled by this kind of sleight-of-hand language?

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 1/6/2020 at 10:19 AM, stevenl said:

Please don't forget to read article 3.2

Imglobal.com will sell you good insurance that has no 'motorcycle' exclusion.  68 yr old man, $2500 deductible, $100,000 health/accident insurance, about $1000 per year. Pre-existing conditions *not* excluded.  No health exam required.  A reputable company with very little negative reviews on the internet.  Based in the USA, underwritten by large entities, can be sued under laws of the United States (try suing a Thai company, haha). 

Insurance can be purchased for short term, weeks (maybe even days) to a month, or months, or a year.  Unused months are refunded if you cancel.

Edited by KrishnaCameb4Buddha
additional info
  • Thanks 1