Year of the Rat: Despite bad signs key tourism figures remain optimistic

rooster59

Year of the Rat: Despite bad signs key tourism figures remain optimistic

a0e32bb25c1aa951cba39aec045d9d89095e643cc871990c3e2feb2e21a7b91c.jpg

Image: Siam Rath

Two of the key players on the Thai tourism scene continue to be optimistic about the year ahead. 

Siam Rath said 2020 was The Year of the Rat in the Chinese zodiac. 

The media said that the continuing high value of the baht and the fact that many Thais were deciding to take advantage of this by holidaying abroad were problems for Thai tourism. 

The situation is further shown to be poor by the fact that bookings for Chinese New Year - that falls early on January 25th next year - are down on last year. 

They said that tourism minister Pipat ratchakitprakarn remains bullish with his plans for multiple entry visas and EVOA (electronic visa on arrival) schemes. 

And TAT chief Yuthasak Suphasorn thinks the tourism market will continue to grow along the lines experienced this year. 

He thinks revenue next year will be up 4% and foreign visitors will increase by 2.5% to 40.8 million. 

These statements come as many operators on the ground report the opposite, notes Thaivisa.

ATTA (the Association of Thai Travel Agents) chief Wichit Prakorpkoson appeared less enthusiastic for The Year of the Rat. 

He has called on the government to get a move on with stimulus and visa measures in the early part of the year so they are in place for Chinese New Year.

Source: Siam Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-29

1 hour ago, Isaan sailor said:

Although I consider myself a long-term tourist--I don't think I would consider Thailand as a short term (2-week) tourist.  Too many lower-cost, higher value destinations in the world today.

Even for free i won't go to Samui/Chiang mai/Phuket....i have no idea what to do there except getting bad moods from the scams and filthy mess the Thai made of it.

He is looking more like Dr. Evil every press conference.

He thinks?

Imagine going up to you Boss or in front of the Press and saying "I think revenue next year will be up 4% and foreign visitors will increase by 2.5% to 40.8 million."

You'd be out of a job pretty quick. But this guy was probably patted on the back, given a huge bonus for beating 2019 expectations.

Fail.

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I don't know about rats. Year of the pig is best match for me.

And speaking of not having any more bad matches, please vote for me for POTY right now in the new run off election. Thank you.

Can't vote for you unless you're from India, China, or Russia. TAT's orders.

Today i had to go to t21 ,Cental ,and Tesco ,hardly saw one European ,or Indian come to that  nothing but Thais and Chinese ,who seemed to be buying nothing but just walking around making a lot of noise ,never seen ,so few Europeans at xmas here in Pattaya ,3 friends who usually come havnt ,because of strong baht ,was also in my bank ,only one  there ,getting a new debit card ,we talked about the strong baht(very worrying) and how many people were losing their jobs . even they are noticing it .

7 hours ago, hotchilli said:

My New Years wish is that you give us one day free of having to read this drivel!

You can use your 'delete' key. That way we don't have to read your drivel either, Mr 'I am entitled.'

Who are you speaking for when you say 'us?'

Archived