SRT plans to buy 184 AC diesel trains

rooster59

SRT plans to buy 184 AC diesel trains

By THE NATION

800_728312925d54c9b.jpg

The State Railways of Thailand (SRT) will propose to the board on January 16 a plan to procure 184 air-conditioned diesel trains at a budget of Bt20 billion.

SRT acting governor Worawut Mala said that the state agency would submit the revised plan to the board.

In a separate matter, he said civil work construction of the double track railways is on course. It is estimated that the construction of the first phase of the three routes will be gradually finished and in operation in 2024.

The first phase of the development of the southern Nakhon Pathom-Chumphon route is expected to be finished in 2021, and the northern Lop Buri-Pak Nam Po route in 2022. The first-phase construction of the Isaan segment of the Map Kaboa-Jira Junction route is expected to be completed in 2023.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30379948

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-12-29

1 hour ago, marko kok prong said:

Do they come with the dents already in them like the one in the photo?

??? perhaps an unintended consequence of kickbacks ?  I'd suppose those are also a design feature included (for cost) to the rear of a car to increase aerodynamics, prevent rust on the rails and reduce global climate change. 

I wander if that is 184 trains - 2,3 or more car sets - or 184 individual carriages?

Either way it makes sense,; there is little point in increasing route capacity by doubling the track if you don't have the rolling stock to operate the extra trains on those routes.

20 minutes ago, Chazar said:

no  win as not  electric

Of course they are not electric. As pointed out in earlier posts the electricity supply is not 100% reliable and to buy electric trains for use is a waste of money, unless you are going to electrify the entire rail network and build the power stations to supply the power. Of course you need to build "clean" power stations which of course are more expensive.

That needs to be done before you buy the trains.

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Of course they are not electric. As pointed out in earlier posts the electricity supply is not 100% reliable and to buy electric trains for use is a waste of money, unless you are going to electrify the entire rail network and build the power stations to supply the power. Of course you need to build "clean" power stations which of course are more expensive.

who  would of  thought  it

I'd settle for a couple of extra carriages on the BTS.  I visit Bangkok three or four times a year & have done for the last dozen years.  I have yet to sit down despite being 77 now - none of the seated (mainly Thai) refuse to look up from their phones lest they are required to give up their seat.  Maybe if I wore saffron ....?

19 hours ago, billd766 said:

You would last 1 day on a planning team here. You buy them then admire them for a while, and wait until the next phase kicks in.

????????

We need clarification of what 184 will comprise of, is it 184 carriages that can be pulled behind locomotives, 184 sets of carriages or 184 units including motor units and carriage unitS to run as sets.  Now I  am going to be forced to read the linked article to put my mind at rest...... ????  PS: After reading the link I am still in the dark! 

3 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Holland has many used ones for sale....not sure if they have aircon..Afbeeldingsresultaat voor buffel trein ns"

If they have 184 then they should send the white shoe brigade over to negotiate.  I am sure the Thai's can convert them from standard gauge to Dinky toy gauge.  Just imagine how much tea money would be in that deal!   Crikey, I would be happy with the cut on all the grinding and cutting disks and welding rods. 

37 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

If they have 184 then they should send the white shoe brigade over to negotiate.  I am sure the Thai's can convert them from standard gauge to Dinky toy gauge.  Just imagine how much tea money would be in that deal!   Crikey, I would be happy with the cut on all the grinding and cutting disks and welding rods. 

They have 48 of them, Roemenia had bought them but they never came to pick them up so now they are for sale again.

On 12/29/2019 at 7:01 PM, billd766 said:

Why not Diesel/electric  locomotives  ?

Archived