Teaching at a government school VS private school

Nakmuay887

I forgot to add yesterday.....I believe the OP said he gave a "demo" to the director's kid.  Yea, that's a really big red flag.  Trust me, I have experience.  That means they want you to be his/her private tutor forever and this will be your most important student.  Even if they do pay 500 baht an hour (which I what I charged after I realized I got scammed into this), they will probably first want you to do it for free and then maybe a few hundred baht per lesson.  This will be after a long day, and the director will watch over you.  Then the director will want lessons.  It will never end.  

My memory is a little weak, as this was almost 10-years ago; however, it's something you need to worry about.  Sure, maybe a little more money and perks, but would it be worth it.  What happens when the kid isn't fluent in 3 minutes?  

1 hour ago, Mambowoman said:

You always do the best resorts, and are simply the best teacher!

Regarding the Laos bank account, is it possible to open one while I'm in Laos, on a tourist visa?

I just did a quick online search, I wanted to know also, As a foreigner you require a Lao work permit and associated business VISA or residence VISA to open an account with a Lao Bank. you cannot open an account with just tourist VISA etc. 

http://www.retire-asia.com/lao-bank.shtml

1 hour ago, Ventenio said:

I forgot to add yesterday.....I believe the OP said he gave a "demo" to the director's kid.  Yea, that's a really big red flag.  Trust me, I have experience.  That means they want you to be his/her private tutor forever and this will be your most important student.  Even if they do pay 500 baht an hour (which I what I charged after I realized I got scammed into this), they will probably first want you to do it for free and then maybe a few hundred baht per lesson.  This will be after a long day, and the director will watch over you.  Then the director will want lessons.  It will never end.  

My memory is a little weak, as this was almost 10-years ago; however, it's something you need to worry about.  Sure, maybe a little more money and perks, but would it be worth it.  What happens when the kid isn't fluent in 3 minutes?  

little guy had better English than Most Thai's I have come across, the school was called sukhothai wittayakom school and I was impressed with it overall honestly, the kids I met took right to me. But the more reading I do the more working online seems to be appealing in the long run, the brick and mortar school was appealing because of the work permit and long term visa,

I will look to sort the visa through NGO work as I had originally been planning and work online. it gives me a lot more time with the boarding school kids and more time to box and kick people. so that's a win/win for me

this thread really has been top notch and I hope others can find it when asking similar questions. you guys are awesome. Thank you

On 12/30/2019 at 7:44 PM, Denim said:

If you love teaching ,  fine. 

But if you are only doing it as a means to finance a long stay here you could consider doing something else.

I tried it for a few years but found it not to my liking so gave it up.

And that was 35 years ago where you could just do it without bothering with work permits , visas and contracts. Must be a nightmare now.

I had 3 K more per month ten years ago. 

These days are too many agencies and "wannabe agents" involved, and all of them want a piece of the cake.

Salaries didn't go up while all has gotten quite expensive.

More and more "extracurricular activities" have to be done, and Thai teachers do not respect foreigners at all. 

All was immensely different 15 years ago when some Filipinos signed contracts making 12K/month.

At that point, too many foreigners were working on tourist visas, and it's IMO a homemade problem that all laws and regulations have changed. 

These days, we foreigners are openly called "Farang" in our office where we stay with Thai colleagues who usually know our names.

Now it's remarkably different, and many schools have a very high turnover.

"Native English speakers" from Pakistan and Russia, etc.. are often to find. 

Agencies who create fake degrees for their employees' visa runs and to get them a work permit should be taken care of, and the black sheep removed from all schools. 

But it's still an excellent occupation, especially when your students love you. Only my five baht. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2019 at 1:44 PM, Denim said:

If you love teaching ,  fine. 

But if you are only doing it as a means to finance a long stay here you could consider doing something else.

I tried it for a few years but found it not to my liking so gave it up.

And that was 35 years ago where you could just do it without bothering with work permits , visas and contracts. Must be a nightmare now.

"...you could consider doing something else."

What, for example?

4 hours ago, OumarhindaOunsingha said:

"...you could consider doing something else."

What, for example?

There are literally hundreds , maybe thousands of digital nomads working here now doing various things.

Selling on the internet can also be very lucrative if you can find the right niche. Takes a while to set up and maybe a couple of thousand baht investment in start up stock but not expensive and pretty hassle free.

Working from Bangkok I was pulling between 30-60,000 a month selling online. Living in the boonies now so cut off from my suppliers but even so still making an easy 10,000 a month from my bedroom. Not enough to live on anymore but combined with my savings no problem.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/29/2019 at 2:39 PM, Isaanbiker said:

Social security must be included, even when it's a private school where they're trying to not pay for you. 

No it doesn't in private schools and many gvt schools will try to weasle out of it. Check your facts b4 spreading false information...

• Haha 1