Yamaha Tricity Update

PattayaDavid

I recently had read through a 32 page thread beginning in 2014 when the Tricity was first introduced and ending in 2016.  I had heard rumors that the Tricity was to be reintroduced with the Aerox 155 engine update which is currently selling in Europe, would be introduced at the Bangkok show this month, but talking to a sales person at Yamaha yesterday, I was told, not going to sell in Thailand.  Of course, these rumors were flying around back in 2016 also.  In Europe, I've seen youtube videos of the impending Tricity 300.  I guess the sales of the original Tricity 125 in Thailand must have been dismal for Yamaha to give up the model altogether.  I think that an updated 155 model would sell, but not in the large numbers of the Aerox and NMax.

For those who bought the Tricity 125's, does anyone still own their Tricity 125 and if so, could you provide some information as to the durability and reliability of this model?  How well has the front suspension and 2-wheel steering system held up?  I suspect that it would be difficult to find the parts and if taken to a Yamaha Service Center, to have it repaired.  How many kilos have you put on your Tricity 125?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

• 3 weeks later...

The Tricity 155 was sold for a while in Thailand, and I've seen a few about.  I've heard that it's now only available as a special order in Thailand as all the production is for export to Europe and Australia/NZ.  

The Bangkok Motorbike Festival starts tomorrow, so may be the place to find out if it's still available here.

That's interesting.  I had seen websites indicating that the 155 model was coming soon with expected prices, but never an actual listing for sale.  I was under the impression that the 125 models initially sold in 2014/2015 then sales in Thailand were halted due to poor sells.  I believe the 155 model came out in 2007, but like you said, never officially sold in Thailand.  The 155 and now 300 model are big sellers in Europe from what I understand.  I've seen YouTube videos of the 300; it's really nice, but too big and heavy for my use.  I would like to see them reintroduce the Tricity 155 ABS model to Thailand.  I believe, if it would have come originally with the 155 engine, it would have been a much better seller.

My guess is that most of the Tricity's in Thailand are around 5 years old now and maybe not too many still in circulation since your reply was the only response that I have received.

I bought the 155cc ABS model a few years ago.. 

Sold it on after I got another bike... Mistake ! it was a great bike for the city / town... especially if you have something bigger for out of city / town rides. 

I made the mistake of trying to get one bike that covers both (in town & out - THE baby BMW, G310GS).. it kind of does town ok (but no storage) and at least no one tells me the  ‘scooters are like dat girls...’ anecdote anymore!, but I don’t think the 310 had out of town grunt to make a longer ride enjoyable... 

• Like 1

I wonder if the 155cc models were only available in the Bangkok area.  I would like to find a 155cc ABS model in good shape, but I've never seen one for sale.  I'd like to see Yamaha begin selling them in Thailand again, but I doubt it.  Being that they were not sold officially in Thailand, did you have to pay a premium to purchase a new one?

I bought a Honda CBR150 to ride around, but as you say, there is no storage to let's say, make a beer run or a visit to Tops, Big C or Lotus.  Also, with a scooter, it's ok to put a top box on it; just doesn't look right on a G310GS or a CBR150.

This is a bit off topic, but here goes. As far as bikes are concerned... Can anyone explain the distinct advantages of ABS vs. not having it? It doesn’t seem to be as readily available in the Thai market as in the USA. I like having it on my auto but never had it on a two or three wheeler. Is it something one should seriously consider in choosing one motorbike vs. another? Thank all in advance for your feedback.

Well, papa has gone down on road several times;

gone down on dirt innumerable times;

never locked-up wheel and gone down on the road tho.

Considering papa's poor riding skills,

yes, prolly worth a few 100 $.

& Better when re-sale?

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 3:24 PM, PattayaDavid said:

I wonder if the 155cc models were only available in the Bangkok area. I would like to find a 155cc ABS model in good shape, but I've never seen one for sale. I'd like to see Yamaha begin selling them in Thailand again, but I doubt it. Being that they were not sold officially in Thailand, did you have to pay a premium to purchase a new one?

I bought a Honda CBR150 to ride around, but as you say, there is no storage to let's say, make a beer run or a visit to Tops, Big C or Lotus. Also, with a scooter, it's ok to put a top box on it; just doesn't look right on a G310GS or a CBR150.

Can't say I was ever really tempted by top-boxes. I put a small rack on my PCX and keep waterproof gear under the seat, with my last bike (GSX-R) I could take off the rear seat and strap stuff straight on there, still room for waterproofs under the seat - so for shopping it's best just to take a box for the shopping (or with Makro just get a box or two whilst shopping).

I'd have been tempted to put ABS on the GSX with 120km/h coming up pretty quick in first gear, but the PCX doesn't suffer from excess speed issues with only one gear that is pushing it to get 110.

The one time I managed to drop the PCX was with an oncoming car on my side of the road in 2016 - I turned too sharply and grounded it, along with a bit of ankle skin.

• Like 2

On 1/19/2020 at 10:44 AM, Ramen087 said:

Do you find it effective enough to spend the extra money on?

I say it's worth having ABS,  after all if offered as an option it's not that expensive. In my experience if you are going in an straight line and pull the breaks hard you can go down easily without it, but with ABS you might not, or still might but your chances are improved... Also stopping distance is shorten with ABS.

On the bend and rainy/slippery road, I don't have much faith in ABS,  I think it is not that effective in those situation, I say the jury is out on that as far as I'm concerned, specially front wheel, maybe ABS can save the back wheel, but front wheel on the bend and rain, probably skid and you go down even with ABS....!!! ?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Agusts said:

I say it's worth having ABS,  after all if offered as an option it's not that expensive. In my experience if you are going in an straight line and pull the breaks hard you can go down easily without it, but with ABS you might not, or still might but your chances are improved... Also stopping distance is shorten with ABS.

On the bend and rainy/slippery road, I don't have much faith in ABS,  I think it is not that effective in those situation, I say the jury is out on that as far as I'm concerned, specially front wheel, maybe ABS can save the back wheel, but front wheel on the bend and rain, probably skid and you go down even with ABS....!!! ?

Thank you for the detailed reply. I appreciate it. Have a good weekend.

On 1/19/2020 at 1:09 PM, ben2talk said:

Can't say I was ever really tempted by top-boxes.

You don't leave them on all the time and if sufficiently wide they do act as sort of crash bar if you are unfortunate enough to drop the bike, even at moderate speed. Scratched top box or scratched exhuast?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

i am running a.tricity since 5years. it is perfect  braking never a problem. 20000km so far. had to repair the front chocks. new tires. all regular services done. i would like to buy a 300 a new 155 does not mske sence since the 125 engine is still strong and fast enough to leave most of crowd behind at the green light. fell down once at the beginning trlavelling a bad road slowly with a case of ber. since then i feel save. will never buy a new two wheeler

Nice to hear that your Tricity has held up very well.  Yeah, the Tricity 300 would be great to have, but will they sell it in Thailand as they never actually offered the 155 here.  The Tricity 300 looks like a cross between the original Tricity 125 and the XMAX.  The frame is similar to the XMAX, not the flat floor design open design of the original Tricity.  I do like the 14 inch tires all around versus the 12 inch rear tire on the Tricity 125.  I also like the tilt lock system of the Tricity 300 that allows for stops without putting your feet down.  The downside is it's weight at 239 kilos which should make it a little slower than the XMAX and at least in Europe, it is also more expensive than the XMAX, but I don't know by how much.  Overall, I would be interested in checking one out if Thailand Yamaha offers it for sale in Thailand.  

Thanks for providing your experience of the Yamaha Tricity.

On 3/29/2020 at 10:25 AM, comeondoit said:

i am running a.tricity since 5years. it is perfect  braking never a problem. 20000km so far. had to repair the front chocks. new tires. all regular services done. i would like to buy a 300 a new 155 does not mske sence since the 125 engine is still strong and fast enough to leave most of crowd behind at the green light. fell down once at the beginning trlavelling a bad road slowly with a case of ber. since then i feel save. will never buy a new two wheeler

In yer dreams   .....

You wouldn't see an Aerox for dust .....

Has anyone taken a photo of you riding your Tricity ?  -  you might want to see how uttery ridicoulous you look (sorry to be the bearer of bad news....)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/31/2020 at 7:36 PM, properperson said:

In yer dreams   .....

You wouldn't see an Aerox for dust .....

Has anyone taken a photo of you riding your Tricity ?  -  you might want to see how uttery ridicoulous you look (sorry to be the bearer of bad news....)

And you look like what on an Aerox ????  ‘you know what they say about scooters and fat girls’  !!!!

I had the 155cc ABS TriCity - thought it was an excellent bike - extremely convenient and stable for nipping around town - excellent front brakes and ABS. 

I sold it after a year or so when my mates saw me riding it !!!  (just like a fat girl, great fun until....)

Anyway, I wouldn’t hesitate to swap out my 310 BMW for the 300cc Tricity if it became available in Thailand. 

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

And you look like what on an Aerox ????  ‘you know what they say about scooters and fat girls’  !!!!

I had the 155cc ABS TriCity - thought it was an excellent bike - extremely convenient and stable for nipping around town - excellent front brakes and ABS. 

I sold it after a year or so when my mates saw me riding it !!!  (just like a fat girl, great fun until....)

Anyway, I wouldn’t hesitate to swap out my 310 BMW for the 300cc Tricity if it became available in Thailand. 

I look like a normal bloke riding Yamaha's best selling bike in Thailand.... The tri-city was such a white elephant, Yamaha have stopped selling them here.....

I can understand why you would want to swap to a Tri-City (warts n all) from yer GS - there are a lot of unhappy bunnies on here -  https://www.g310rforum.com/forums/2017-bmw-g310-r-gs-complaints-issues-problems.337/