Drone registration

reflectionx

meh, for some reason I missed the fact that One has to register a drone with CAAT, which apparently takes weeks.

we are only here for 25 days, so I was wondering if there is a way to get it done faster? Eg if register under wife name (she is Thai), would it speed things up?

also, is it ok to fly while waiting the CAAT confirmation (I guess YMMV there)?

You will not get one quickly enough but it all depends on how you behave when flying here. In my years of flying here, I find that there are 2 types of pilots. 

1) The Pilot who flies in areas they are not supposed to with total disregard of basic common sense

2) A Pilot who flies in areas that are off the beaten path, always ask prior to flying in a resort type area and respect the people around them.

If you are a pilot of the latter, then you can probably fly without being seen or hassled.  A flew a few years before being registered. Since then I have been registered for nearly 1.5 years and fly all the time and have never been questioned but I usually always ask if I am on an island, I never fly near temples, airports or in resort areas.

Good Luck

General Rules for Flying a Drone in Thailand

• All drones must be registered if they 1) Have a camera, and 2) Weigh 2 kilograms (4.4 pounds) or more. 
  • Drones weighing more than 25 kilograms (55 pounds) must be registered with the Minister of Transport.
  • Drone pilots must maintain a visual line of sight with their drone at all times.
  • Drones must not be flown close to manned aircraft
  • Drones must not be flown close to any person, vehicle, construction, or buildings at distance less than 30 meters (98 feet) horizontally.
  • Drones must not be flown in restricted areas without authorization.
  • Drones must not be flown within 9 kilometers (5 miles) from an airport or temporary airfield except with special authorization.
  • Drones must not be flown higher than 90 meters (295 feet).

It seems if your drone weighs less than 2 kilos you don't need to register it.

A few days ago, when sitting in our sala talking to friends we noticed a drone hovering behind wires about 7 meters away filming us. Unfortunately, I didn't have a rock to throw nor a gun to shoot at it so had to merely show it the finger. It departed at speed. I suspect my toxic Brit neighbors own it.

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:

General Rules for Flying a Drone in Thailand

• All drones must be registered if they 1) Have a camera, and 2) Weigh 2 kilograms (4.4 pounds) or more. 
  • Drones weighing more than 25 kilograms (55 pounds) must be registered with the Minister of Transport.
  • Drone pilots must maintain a visual line of sight with their drone at all times.
  • Drones must not be flown close to manned aircraft
  • Drones must not be flown close to any person, vehicle, construction, or buildings at distance less than 30 meters (98 feet) horizontally.
  • Drones must not be flown in restricted areas without authorization.
  • Drones must not be flown within 9 kilometers (5 miles) from an airport or temporary airfield except with special authorization.
  • Drones must not be flown higher than 90 meters (295 feet).

It seems if your drone weighs less than 2 kilos you don't need to register it.

A few days ago, when sitting in our sala talking to friends we noticed a drone hovering behind wires about 7 meters away filming us. Unfortunately, I didn't have a rock to throw nor a gun to shoot at it so had to merely show it the finger. It departed at speed. I suspect my toxic Brit neighbors own it.

The rules are that all drones inc the new Mavic Mini which weighs only 249g has to be registered with the NBTC, CAAT, Insurance of a Minimum ฿1.000.000, plus pictures all sides of the drone, serial numbers, Purchase receipt if bought in Thailand, An owners declaration form, passport details inc all necessary stamps if you live here, and proof of address of course.

There is also a Power of Attorney form which I have been sent by the Insurers.

I am currently in the process of submitting all these ridiculous amount of docs.

As a tourist you may not need as much but you will require most of them, and for a short holiday it will be a tall order to get the licence before your holiday ends.

Again if a tourist I have read that you cannot apply for the NBTC certificate without showing original documentation at one of their offices, requiring a visit from the applicant

forget about it

last year I bought a small drone (heavily advertised on Thai media) on the internet. when it finally arrived in Thailand, I was issued a paper to pick it up in Laem Chabang (I stay in Pattaya).

had a friend driving me the 40 minutes to Laem Chabang customs. was given a form and asked to go to Bangkok to have it registered.

I gave up, loosing the 98 USD and never attempted to go to Bangkok.

was supposed to be a birthday present for my son, bought him something else.

thaisabai

Recently I try to registrated my drone (DJI Mavic 2) , I bring with me from Europe.

But to be honestly to much hassles.

I visit the CAAT in Hua-hin and they do not know how to handle, then a lady go with the registration applicationform to the manager and he sign the paper.

Of course this is not valid, because he don't use a stamp or something like that, so anybode can sign.

The next day I try to reach somebody by phone in BKK, the woman on the telephoneline give me another number to call the next day, but again, they don't understand me.

I'm aware you need an insuranca, and I have this now.

When I fly, I follow the rules, and don't disturb anybody.

UAV-Registration-Application-Form.pdf

1 hour ago, Billpro785 said:

Would this rule apply to RC Helicopters as well ? Live in Kanchanaburi, and have large Trex 700 electric Heli. Almost finished building, and plan to fly outside the town in large field. 

Not unless you fit cameras or FPV equipment to it.. RC aircraft are not legally drones without that. 

17 hours ago, thaisabai said:

forget about it

last year I bought a small drone (heavily advertised on Thai media) on the internet. when it finally arrived in Thailand, I was issued a paper to pick it up in Laem Chabang (I stay in Pattaya).

had a friend driving me the 40 minutes to Laem Chabang customs. was given a form and asked to go to Bangkok to have it registered.

thaisabai

Sounds like my experience with a brand new Google cell phone, after the useless trip to Laem Chabang Customs,  they wanted me to go into Bangkok and get a license to operate a "electronic transmitting" device, ( add your own acronym here).  Left it there and made a claim with the USPS for non delivery

Seriously,  I guess customs has to show that they are protecting the Kingdom but I don't know of any Thai cell phone manufactures that need protection

Old Croc, the changing regulations is why my drone is sitting on a shelf in my bedroom in the US 

On 12/30/2019 at 2:02 PM, thaisabai said:

forget about it

thaisabai

That's why I bought my drone from an old fashioned bricks and mortar shop. I could have got it for less on Lazada but the shop did all the registration and insurance paperwork for me. Registration came in about a week and insurance started when I left the shop. Shop owner (it's the official DJI store here) said if you are sensible you will never get challenged about the legality of your drone.

Archived