Thai cultural Buddhism and Lying?

rockyysdt

Does cultural Buddhism (not that taught by the Buddha) as practiced by Thais give scope to, or allow lying and/or deception in given circumstances?

Do Thai's knowingly lie (breaking of the Precept "refrain from wrongful speech") with the conviction that this is permitted in certain situations?

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Like 2

As far as i know, between religious, cultural, moral tenets, and situations one can be in real life, there is a vast land.

Some people would lie for gain, some for face, some out of fear, very few people can say they have never lied in their life.

3 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

if you're talking about hypocrites, western religions produce a lot more than over here lol..

But it's difficult to count them exactly, isn't it ?

There are infinite degrees of hypocrisy.

1 minute ago, mauGR1 said:

But it's difficult to count them exactly, isn't it ?

There are infinite degrees of hypocrisy.

hypocritical behavior is common due to the fact we're humans and not gods, what irks me the most are those who call out others for the violation of the 'rules' while they themselves are 'sinning' -  

4 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

hypocritical behavior is common due to the fact we're humans and not gods, what irks me the most are those who call out others for the violation of the 'rules' while they themselves are 'sinning' -  

Agree, i also noticed that very often the so called moralists are the worst of the bunch.

Yet i'm convinced that every part of the planet has its fair share of hypocrites.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Agree, i also noticed that very often the so called moralists are the worst of the bunch.

Yet i'm convinced that every part of the planet has its fair share of hypocrites.

Probably per capita more in Vactican City

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Of that we are agreed.

The vast majority are afflicted by the three poisons.

I'm specifically narrowing this down to Buddhism & lying.

Is there something in the Thai Buddhist cultural psyche that allows lying?

Despite Thais claiming to be devout Buddhists, I doubt 50% could even recite the precepts.  They also seldom meditate.  They drink (hell, many supposedly religious rites often end up with the males wasted and gambling).  

I often surprise Thais about things the Buddha taught because they follow more of a tradition of Buddhism (going to temples, respecting monks, etc) than intellectually engaging with Buddhism or the Dharma.   

I don’t think they’re being hypocrites.  Most truly have very little understanding of actual Buddhism.   

They just know they are Buddhists. 

But how many Christians, evenly those that consider themselves religious, know the Ten Commandments by heart?  How many have actually studied the theology of Christianity vs just listening to sermons?  

How many of those type of people preach loving thy neighbor in church on Sunday  but won’t talk to the actual gay neighbor?   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

And what is exactly wrong with lying?

Some men expect it and like it very much.

I have heard many Thai ladies in those drinking establishment telling their customers You very handsome man.

Now I can accept in some cases these ladies have less than perfect vision and they forgot to wear their glasses but I have never heard any man complain about this.

I also never complain as in my case it was true.

????  

6 minutes ago, jamesc2000 said:

I am just kidding.

It is true but I don't want people to think that I am not being modest

????  

My big ego cannot take it 

if people think I am less than modest and not humble.

????

Paradox of non duality or is it paradox or duality.

I can never work out which is which.

Edited by jamesc2000

On 12/30/2019 at 7:01 PM, digibum said:

They just know they are Buddhists. 

I disagree. They are a little part of everything out there. A little bit Buddhist, animist and Hindu, with a sprinkling of whatever else, to suit their circumstances.

They are sooo far from being Buddhist, it's scary.

Many believe the nonsense that the Buddha came to Thailand, and that large concrete foot mark that you see all over this country, is actually His. ????

My apologies, but Buddhist in name only and that's at a stretch.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jamesc2000 said:

Paradox of non duality or is it paradox or duality.

I can never work out which is which.

I never subscribe to this duality mumbo jumbo.

To me its either duality exist or it doesn't exist.

Not both.

???? 

Edited by jamesc2000

15 minutes ago, thequietman said:

I disagree. They are a little part of everything out there. A little bit Buddhist, animist and Hindu, with a sprinkling of whatever else, to suit their circumstances.

They are sooo far from being Buddhist, it's scary.

Many believe the nonsense that the Buddha came to Thailand, and that large concrete foot mark that you see all over this country, is actually His. ????

My apologies, but Buddhist in name only and that's at a stretch.

Some of them even believe a Buddha amulet will protect them from a bullet.

If anyone is looking for one and willing to pay me a lot of money for it I might just be willing to sell it to the lucky person.

????