Video: No matter how well you drive on Thai roads... the Grim Reaper awaits

webfact

Video: No matter how well you drive on Thai roads... the Grim Reaper awaits

8pm.jpg

Thai caption: Clear drunk driving

Horrific footage from "Page Pranburi" on Facebook showed what happened when a drunk bus driver crossed the center line and collided head on with a Toyota Altis. 

A food delivery motorcyclist could not brake in time and went into the wreckage; he ended up on the roof of the Altis. 

The Facebook page stated that no matter how well you might drive on Thai roads, death awaits. 

The CCTV footage was outside a building supplies shop in Prawet district of Bangkok. 

Sanook reported that Wanchai, 40, the Altis driver died in hospital.

Somrit, 24, the food delivery man on a 650 cc "big bike" is in a serious condition. 

Prawet police said that bus driver Prayut, 39, (who was taking his vehicle home from the garage) admitted drinking a bit. 

He had an alcohol reading of 138 milligrams, nearly three times over the limit. 

He has been charged with negligence causing death and DUI. 

The accident happened in Chalerm Prakiat R.9, Soi 11, Prawet. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-30

WARNING: The following video may be disturbing for some viewers. Discretion is advised

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The penalties for this kind of thing are incredibly light when weighed next to other crimes such as defamation / libel, fraud, cyber crimes, and low level drug crimes.

Without any punishments / penalties attached, people will just continue like this. Very sad story again.

118 mg, a bit.

For him maybe.

One that says "a bit" with this level is either a liar or a serious alcoholic.

In Germany being caught with this level even without causing an accident will cost a long pause from driving and a significant penalty.

Causing a fatal accident, bus driver: prison sentence with or without probation plus penalty. And revocation of license for at least a year, could be more.

OMG.  Again, if you value your life you will never be on a motorbike.  If you slightly value your life, you will go to a place with safer roads because we are on the roads a lot.  if you really value your life, you won't be on this forum reading this.

in this case, the guy probably couldn't afford a food truck so of course i'm talking to the farangs.  

19 minutes ago, harriott456 said:

certainly not condoning it in anyway but i doubt many commenting haven't driven over the limit here so can't really be too judgemental.

I can guarantee you 100% that I have never been drunk when a "working" road user, a "professional"

Which is what the bus driver is alleged to be.

With the lives of his passengers (regardless if it is was another road user or a tree that he hit) in his hands.

1 hour ago, Bobobirdiebuddy said:

It never stops here.  The government can wring their hands and <deleted> and moan and promise improve but nothing will happen because many Thai drivers just don't care.

They just pretend it's all fate, should've worn more amulets etc etc.

Never their fault, never accepting responsibility for their actions, always someone else or something else's fault, and as long as their not hurt or too much inconvenienced they don't give a fig.

Weak law enforcement, paying off relatives, and weak punishments, especially for the rich and connected do nothing to change the mentality.

1 hour ago, harriott456 said:

certainly not condoning it in anyway but i doubt many commenting haven't driven over the limit here so can't really be too judgemental.

And you might be wrong. I know of at least one: me. Probably others, as well. Drunk drivers are idiots.

In my opinion the red car hit by the bus is not doing much better, the motobike it is overtaking is in the middle of the lane and this red car is therefore moving too far to the right!

When a motorbike is in the middle of the lane unless it is empty opposite I do not overtake. 

Screenshot 2019-12-30 at 13.20.18.png

10 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

and this red car is therefore moving too far to the right!

And on a city rd like this such speed would not be acceptable in most countries.

Delivery motorbike speeding and overtaking dangerously: the norm (but unfortunately not only in Thailand).

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

118 mg, a bit.

For him maybe.

One that says "a bit" with this level is either a liar or a serious alcoholic.

In Germany being caught with this level even without causing an accident will cost a long pause from driving and a significant penalty.

Causing a fatal accident, bus driver: prison sentence with or without probation plus penalty. And revocation of license for at least a year, could be more.

Er you have miss read the article before engaging your typing index finger, HE had an alcohol reading of 138 milligrams, nearly three times over the limit. 

2 minutes ago, Inepto Cracy said:

Er you have miss read the article before engaging your typing index finger, HE had an alcohol reading of 138 milligrams, nearly three times over the limit. 

Yes, got it wrong/mistyped.

So even more and supporting what I wrote.

11 minutes ago, 4737 Carlin said:

I'm surprised so many of them reach adulthood without getting themselves killed in some way.

And so many go unreported.

On the 23rd there was the cremation of a 13 year old here.

Ran into a sugar cane truck with his scooter on the way home from school.

Pillion rider survived with both legs broken (he jumped off before the impact).

The 13yr old was considered a good boy in school and helping his mother.

Not one of the rowdy types.

Father rushed back from work in South Korea. Broken and crying.

Teachers and classmates at the cremation, crying and singing.

13yr old on scooter?

Look at the terrible public transport here.

2 hours ago, neeray said:

DRIVE SLOWLY IF DRUNK

That's a pretty stupid concept.

Try this:

IF YOU ARE DRUNK, DON'T DRIVE.

But he was not drunk ..he said ....:crying:

bus driver Prayut, 39, (who was taking his vehicle home from the garage) admitted drinking a bit. 

He had an alcohol reading of 138 milligrams, nearly three times over the limit.  "

Ok, the busdriver was wrong, because he had some alcohol. But this kind of accident would have happened also without alcohol. I can't see if the bus was driving too fast. What I do see is that at the moment the bus wanted to overtake a car (which is wrong too), the red car was overtaking a motorbike and at the same moment too far to the right. If he would have stayed behind the bike, nothing would have happened. But then again... the white car before him did the same. It was one of those moments that went wrong, while in most cases nothing happens.

39 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

In my opinion the red car hit by the bus is not doing much better, the motobike it is overtaking is in the middle of the lane and this red car is therefore moving too far to the right!

When a motorbike is in the middle of the lane unless it is empty opposite I do not overtake. 

Screenshot 2019-12-30 at 13.20.18.png

For my three Satang's worth, I recon the bike rider should have been on the far left of the road, yes there used to be a law that said bike riders should travel on the left hand side of the road in the Motorcycle lane, guess that does not apply anymore.

That would have given the red car enough space to get out of the way of the oncoming bus. Looks like the bike rider and the red car were aiming for the same space between the bus and the taxi, when the bus pulled out in front of the red car.

So all three were to blame for the accident.

You cannot all share the same piece of road at the same time people.

Drive defensively pleeease.

49 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

the motobike it is overtaking is in the middle of the lane and this red car is therefore moving too far to the right!

Watch the video to the end and realize that the motorbike tries to overtake the red car (driving close to the dividing line, cut in front) and then overtake the taxi ahead.

Only chance for the red car: slow down to make way for this ... adventurer.

Just seen previous post and agree.

13 minutes ago, Inepto Cracy said:

For my three Satang's worth, I recon the bike rider should have been on the far left of the road,

Bike rider was overtaking yellow taxi

Red car was trying to overtake m/c, while m/c was trying to overtake yellow taxi.

Red car in the wrong, Bus driver in the wrong.

2 hours ago, harriott456 said:

I never drink drive, ever. It is not hard, it is called having some basic morals as your actions could cause harm to others

7 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Watch the video to the end and realize that the motorbike tries to overtake the red car (driving close to the dividing line, cut in front) and then overtake the taxi ahead.

Only chance for the red car: slow down to make way for this ... adventurer.

Just seen previous post and agree.

After reading your answer I watch again, you are right without the motorbike most likely the small red car coud have sidestep the bus

Screenshot 2019-12-30 at 14.25.35.png

Archived