BANGKOK
webfact

Video: No matter how well you drive on Thai roads... the Grim Reaper awaits

On 12/30/2019 at 11:14 AM, webfact said:

no matter how well you might drive on Thai roads, death awaits. 

I understand that this is a complaint about the fact that the roads here are more dangerous than other countries.  However, if the implication is that driving well has no effect and everyone is doomed to die on the roads, this is false.  I give more space than other people and watch every car with suspicion.  I slow down at intersections and look both ways.  I believe these habits make me safer.  Sure, some idiot can still kill me, and that's true anywhere, especially on a motorbike.  But you can drastically reduce your risk if you care to.  Most road deaths are not caused by drunk buses.  They are almost always avoidable.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

I understand that this is a complaint about the fact that the roads here are more dangerous than other countries.  However, if the implication is that driving well has no effect and everyone is doomed to die on the roads, this is false.  I give more space than other people and watch every car with suspicion.  I slow down at intersections and look both ways.  I believe these habits make me safer.  Sure, some idiot can still kill me, and that's true anywhere, especially on a motorbike.  But you can drastically reduce your risk if you care to.  Most road deaths are not caused by drunk buses.  They are almost always avoidable.  

If you leave to much of a gap some idiot will pass 5 cars in a curve to fill it 😂

• Like 2

Might as well blame the bike driver as well,  there was no need to be so far over in the road, unless he planned on overtaking the taxi ahead, without looking behind.

Not having seen the whole video, I don't think anyone can apportion blame on the police for not preventing this sort of accident.

It seems more apparent that all involved in this calamity are all guilty of Poor Driving Standards.

3 hours ago, Fred white said:

If you leave to much of a gap some idiot will pass 5 cars in a curve to fill it 😂

So what?   That's them risking their own lives.  I'm not going to act stupid just because other people act stupid.  If you are generous and careful, you will be safer.  You might get to your destination 2 minutes later, and someone will go faster than you, but you will have a much greater chance of living.  

• Like 1

Just got back from a 6 hour drive to Khao Kho with my friend. I can count more than 3 near fatal collisions. None of which would have been my friend's fault. These roads are crazy.

19 hours ago, wealthychef said:

Totally agree, well put.

On 12/31/2019 at 3:44 PM, wealthychef said:

So what?   That's them risking their own lives.  I'm not going to act stupid just because other people act stupid.  If you are generous and careful, you will be safer.  You might get to your destination 2 minutes later, and someone will go faster than you, but you will have a much greater chance of living.  

My reply was sarcasm a joke call it what you want I agree with you on the gap I do it also the bad thing about the passing is I've seen people run off the road because of these idiots

22 minutes ago, Fred white said:

My reply was sarcasm a joke call it what you want I agree with you on the gap I do it also the bad thing about the passing is I've seen people run off the road because of these idiots

No doubt, they are a danger to themselves and others too, you are right.  I listen for bikes behind me and use my mirrors.  These knuckleheads who think they are being smart don't cause me a problem like they used to, because I don't begrudge them to pass me.  I do everything I can to help them by, preferring them in front of me where I can watch them more easily.  At the same time, I admit I am one of those guys weaving between cars at lights and even occasionally cutting across red lights because that's how it's done here.  

I happen to believe the biggest thing that can be done to increase traffic safety is to eliminate bribes to cops.  Until that is fixed, literally no rule will have any effect.  And that will never be done because the fish rots from the head down.  

• Like 1

The bus driver who drove me on the Mukdahan Bangkok bus on Boxing day was all over the road, overtaking at night on blind bends doing 120. Scarey for me at the very top front.

5 hours ago, LetsCleanUpTHAILAND said:

Guys, what legal action would happen to this bus driver in your countries? Just curious... 

He wouldn't be driving a bus anymore

On 12/30/2019 at 11:38 AM, neeray said:

DRIVE SLOWLY IF DRUNK

That's a pretty stupid concept.

Try this:

IF YOU ARE DRUNK, DON'T DRIVE.

They tried that,it doesn't work.

bus company also needs to be raked over the coals for this for letting him take the bus home after drinking. Why in the hell dont the police go out and set up random testing stations for drunk drivers like they do in Australia, they catch the idiots that still drive after drinking. problem is here the police are too lazy to do it and prefer to sit in the air conditioned offices, the law in Thailand is a joke and will never improve because no one really gives a s**t no matter how many deaths there are. Until they get the police on the roads in decent cars and bikes pulling over all the idiots that ignore the road rules nothing will change but that would remove all the pocket money from those higher up so no chance of it ever  happening, graft and corruption are too well imbedded here