Chiang Mai Air Quality and Pollution

Cheesekraft

19 minutes ago, cerox said:

Thais have a build-in pm2.5 filter in their lungs. That is why most never wear a mask.

For the foreigners I saw today I think most are tourists and do not understand it. Others do not mind.

For me another indoors day but this way I get things done this month 5555

I noticed the air purifier struggles to keep up green air (below 10 PM2.5) and I have to put it into health / strong mode several times a day. Those who plan to be here after February, I would advise to think about that. One small device seems to be insufficient if the levels get higher.

We had to put both of ours on high last night. 

6 hours ago, vivid said:

Not in CM, but peaks of 365 for today

image.png.135c3b73f9061ebd70a3603069af4ec7.png

The whole North is 'bad'. Today.

And will stay until May?

There is already a 'bridge' to China.

image.png.a19307299a445deb7253a923da79a024.png

Buy air purifiers, nothing else will help.

Or move to Malysia, ...

image.png.8deaaeded623bf89a7b117b5920d20b5.png

On 1/10/2020 at 3:49 PM, cerox said:

My neighbors (Thai) are out all day. Windows open all night/day. No mask. No one bothers.

They will start bothering if they become sick from lung cancer, what is the most common deadly disease in northern Thailand.

12 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

They will start bothering if they become sick from lung cancer, what is the most common deadly disease in northern Thailand.

Yeah, but by the time you're diagnosed with lung cancer, you're probably too old for anyone to be bothered about your death. And you won't be around long enough to complain.

Edited by BritManToo

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yeah, but by the time you're diagnosed with lung cancer, you're probably too old for anyone to be bothered about your death. And you won't be around long enough to complain.

Right, but perhaps he wonders why he dies younger than many other people and why from lung cancer when he never smoked cigarettes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Right, but perhaps he wonders why he dies younger than many other people and why from lung cancer when he never smoked cigarettes.

you won't feel good and then die of lung cancer the next day.

your lungs get bad....you feel bad for DECADES, you suffer and die.

and you had a chance to protect your lungs, but you stayed

• Like 1

What i cannot understand is why Ventenio, and others, care at all about what i choose to do.  He is much like the religious proselytizer who needs more converts in order to maintain his own beliefs, however right/wrong they may be.

Guys, if you don't like it here plz leave to a better place and let me live on these pages without your advice.

I don't tell folks not to smoke cigarettes but i do get away from them when they light up.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Yom said:

The whole North is 'bad'. Today.

And will stay until May?

There is already a 'bridge' to China.

image.png.a19307299a445deb7253a923da79a024.png

Buy air purifiers, nothing else will help.

Or move to Malysia, ...

image.png.8deaaeded623bf89a7b117b5920d20b5.png

Vietnam coast has been green and yellow. 

Was going to go to Da Nang.

That plan just exploded.

Today it's showing readings of:

for Da Nang.

I guess it's "Go South".

Malaysia/Indonesia/Philippines.

Thai neighbor working outside on his house as every day. No mask ever.

Yesterday I heard him coughing a long time as in December.

I might be a conspiracy theorist to think that wearing a mask would prevent that.

pm2.5 here now at 65, yesterday at 129. That is around AQI 150 today and 190 yesterday.  Have you noticed that the sky is more blue? And that the sky turns white or more grey 170+ ?

Sorry but have to see the funny side of it.

3 hours ago, jimgilly said:

What I don't understand is why you are reading posts about people discussing the problem with the air pollution in CM and compare it to someone with religious beliefs looking for converts. 

This isn't about beliefs.  It's about the reality that the air pollution you have in CM leads to an assortment of serious health problems. 

I lived in CM for a number of years and finally woke up to the fact this is not a place to live year round if you value your health.  I know for some people moving is a difficult option but for many it's the best and only option in my opinion.

So while you can berate the people who voice their concerns about the serious air pollution problem that happens every year in CM, I prefer to warn others about moving to CM and if already there, consider living somewhere else.  We are not talking about something that is a minor inconvenience, we're talking about your health and if that's not important to you............

+1.

Some people prefer to ignore the reality - the facts -  of the air situation here.

A large number of the monitoring stations outside of Chiang Mai city do not appear to be working. I haven't seen the station working at San Kamphaeng for a number of days now. Visibility is poor, so I'm guessing that the readings must be high. I have been sick since yesterday after taking the dog for a walk in the morning.

Does anybody have a machine at home that can tell me the AQI reading for San Kamphaeng or Sarapee? I have had all the windows and doors closed since yesterday.

You should buy yourself one of the portable devices. Mine shows the same number (almost) as the air purifier in the same room and outside a similar number to the next station.

Today is lower than yesterday. Now I measured around 130 AQI outside compared to 190 yesterday, but I am near Nimman.

The stations always seem to go offline when it gets too high. I am not sure if that is a coincidence 5555

1 hour ago, Forza2002 said:

Does anybody have a machine at home that can tell me the AQI reading for San Kamphaeng or Sarapee? I have had all the windows and doors closed since yesterday.

Last night, over 250!  This morning a relatively healthy AQI 190 ????

Edited by Samuel Smith

Our pu-yai baan announced yesterday that the annual burning ban has been set for January 10 to April 30 this year. He made it clear that this applies to agricultural as well as household burning. Not sure whether this comes from the central government, province, district (Mae Rim), or subdistrict (Huay Sai). Curious if others have heard similar announcements.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Puwa said:

Our pu-yai baan announced yesterday that the annual burning ban has been set for January 10 to April 30 this year. He made it clear that this applies to agricultural as well as household burning. Not sure whether this comes from the central government, province, district (Mae Rim), or subdistrict (Huay Sai). Curious if others have heard similar announcements.

Interesting. Keep us informed whether burning will still take place and to what extent.

54 minutes ago, Puwa said:

Every year that "ban". How pathetic.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Thanks 1

Every year these articles about a "burning ban" get posted here. What effect did that burning ban in the past few years, esp. 2019?

Zero. If I was Thai and had something to burn I would laugh my ass off about this ban. Because everyone know what it means.

I have no idea why they "ban" it. Everyone knows it is not banned and just talking. I think they want to look good on TV.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 10:59 AM, Puwa said:

One prosecution. Good job!

Last year was terrible. They didn’t enforce the ban very well if at all past the first week or so. 

So now you can't drink the water, breath the air, and eat the toxic food.

"Up to 41% of popular vegetables and fruits sold at fresh markets and supermarkets have been found to contain toxic chemical residues above the safe level, according to an annual food test by the Thailand Pesticide Alert Network (Thai-PAN)". From BKK Post.