Chiang Mai Air Quality and Pollution

Cheesekraft

1 hour ago, KrishnaCameb4Buddha said:

AQI is 280 now

Sorry b4B,

you are not today's winner

image.png.d7f97772b16f1ec30fd9f23df831e302.png 

Edited by Yom

W O W   ! ! !   I have never seen it so bad.  Looking out my window and down the street maybe 100 mtrs its just obvious the smoke and haze like never before and I've been here almost 30 yrs.  Gonna be big problems soon if something is not done about it.   World's worst ???  Be another new record breaking our old one soon.  Government better start thinking about the  good of the people first.  Doing something not just saying something that makes it look like you are doing something !

!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

Right now air in Chiang Mai over 250

over 500 (Five Hundred) 8AM by my meter read near Kad Suan Kaew, compared to the map on aqicn.org of Chiang Mai which has ranges of 200s-300 (with an outlier of 422 on far SE corner of Chiang Mai at San Kamphaeng Hospital.  Air seen from Kad Suan Kaew area now looks like soup.

They are consistently under-reporting the true numbers and have been for approx two months.  LIke I said before, this never happened a few months ago.  As the day wears on and if/when the actual AQI drops to the 200 or so range, *then* aqicn.org numbers will align with my meter. 

Aqicn.org shows Chiang *RAI* now at 422, so I wonder what the real number is. 

I hope more of thaivisa readers acquire AQI meters so you can see these corrupt numbers for yourselves.

Edited by KrishnaCameb4Buddha

On 3/11/2020 at 8:40 AM, Yom said:

Sorry b4B,

you are not today's winner

image.png.d7f97772b16f1ec30fd9f23df831e302.png 

You are comparing apples and oranges. I posted those numbers around 7AM, and you posted 'your' numbers at 8:40AM. 

I guess you didn't get the memo that the numbers change as the day progresses.  Try looking at aqicn.org several times or more per day.  See the numbers?  See the numbers change?

That's right, the numbers can be high or 'low0 one hour, and as air currents, air pressure, sun, etc influences the pollution, then the numbers change.

Edited by KrishnaCameb4Buddha

“Gonna be big problems here soon?”

Really? Like what?

there is no plan to reduce air pollution...they have no will nor desire to change the behavior of the people...

they must be putting all their resources toward the virus...

50+ cases and 5 deaths? Glad the gov is telling us the real numbers....

a brochure should be handed out to every tourist (all 10 of them now) about the health effects of northern air pollution...

a national embarrassment but too ashamed to address it...

• Like 1

Ok, here we go, every year about this topic...if all this matters more than idle narrative BS, let's start a Gofund and educatee to stop this pollution....talk is cheap because it exceeds the demand...

I am really happy now. Sitting here with zero air pollution where I am now, seeing that they finally started burning. This is the way it is supposed to be - above 300 everywhere. Well done. Keep up the good work.

17 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Why are you NOT standing on the rock? 

wouldn't it be wonderful if a picture is what scientists used to judge the AQI.  "Hey, we don't need AQI meters anymore, let's just look around and pretend to 'see' the PM2.5s (2.5 millionioths of a meter across)."

Get an AQI  meter, push the 'On' button wherever you are in Thailand, take a picture of the reading, and try posting *that*.  

Air pollution will be less in the 'mountains', but it ain't gonna be clean air (in Thailand).  

If anyone can screw up the air quality in the 'mountains', the Thais can with their burning 'season'.

20 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

“Gonna be big problems here soon?”

Really? Like what?

there is no plan to reduce air pollution...they have no will nor desire to change the behavior of the people...

they must be putting all their resources toward the virus...

50+ cases and 5 deaths? Glad the gov is telling us the real numbers....

a brochure should be handed out to every tourist (all 10 of them now) about the health effects of northern air pollution...

a national embarrassment but too ashamed to address it...

"a brochure should be handed out to every tourist (all 10 of them now) about the health effects of northern air pollution..."

Posting to Triadvisor.com and other travel forums will get the word out to many.

Cant help you with "charts" - there are other experts for that here. But I can tell you from experience that I never return before the end of April for a good reason. Air will be very similar in April until the rain starts.

If you can, wait until mid May.

• Like 1