Chiang Mai Air Quality and Pollution

Cheesekraft

15 minutes ago, SometimezaGreatNotion said:

I'm wondering if I should change my return flight to Chiang Mai (current ticket is to return on March 31) to stay another month here in Krabi (where AQI has been 20 to 50, averages less than 30). Is there any data from the past that predicts when AQI in Chiang Mai will drop below 100?

Last year it was end of May.  Depends when prolonged rains arrive.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 3:24 PM, Rasseru said:

<very glad to have escaped Chiangmai and to be breathing clean air in Koh Samui>

Your nose, at that altitude, may need more oxygen to continue chortling.

~o:37;

• Haha 1

We have only got 4 N95 masks left against a pollution that is going to be worse than last years.

Did they not implement quarantine zones last year for people hospitalized from the pollution? Imagine this plus the china virus...

16 hours ago, Cheesekraft said:

will the pollution have any effect if infected with covid?

Not unless you self isolate in a tent alongside Loi Kroh road.  55

Try to understand the difference between smoke and smog or smoke haze and chemical emissions.  A few kms outside of CNX cbd the pollution is primarily dust particles greater than 2.5pm.   Within the cbd and alongside busy roads the real killers are nano particles of CO and NOX.

Over 60 and with existing respiratory problems ppl with Covid 19 may experience further problems due to altitude and dust particles though our dry heat could mitigate the latter.

On February 28, 2020 at 1:51 PM, Ventenio said:

I'm talking about farangs, of course.  What farang would get a business in a place with toxic air all year?  what farang would get a mortgage or bring kids to toxic air?  or put their kids in school?

this is a farang website, of course I'm talking about farangs.  Yes, farangs in CM are dumb.  really dumb.  the dumbest.  LOL

Yes, I have a total lack of empathy for farangs who are too weak to leave.  Yes, I'm smarter than every single farang who stays in CM.  100%.  I'm proud of that.  

you think every post on this site is directed at locals if not specified? LOL

I have to agree with ventenio on this one he's nailed it on the head.

the truth hurts!

Edited by Ron jeremy

Bang on 500 out my door this morning(8am)! that's our record so far this season out here in Mae Rim. The meter balances; 500PM2.5  = 500 AQI.

Not surprised at these numbers considering that massive fire in the hills a few days ago.

Still maintaining good numbers inside the house,under 30, in spite of the s%$t show outside.

One thing about this year is that we are having more wind coming up in the afternoon.

Only 6-days out of 20 this month have been below 150 in the morning and 4 days below 200. But by noon and late afternoon those numbers have drastically reduced,with 15 days below 80 and on the 11th it was as low as 14. All because of wind conditions between 8-17km/hr.

What made last year so extreme was the long periods(wks) of air mass sitting in the doldrums.

I recall the start of it last year on Feb.11 when the "death-cloud" arrived and just enveloped CM there were full days,even weeks of stewing in 200+/300+, just wasn't much relief.

I find this year to be...dare I say 'reasonable'..or in the least, 'tolerable'....so far.

Sure, I'm not out jogging or cycling et.. but I can at least open the back door or do some yard work without much attention to the air and here we are now almost through March. Hopefully it will all be very much on the downside by mid-April.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2020 at 6:57 AM, KrishnaCameb4Buddha said:

My meter only goes to 999.

Hope this helps.

Note: Values above 500 are considered Beyond the AQI.

Additional information on reducing exposure to extremely

high levels of particle pollution is available.

https://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.calculator

What apps do you guys use to check the air pollution in your area? I have mainly used AirVisual and the page aqicn.org and they show quite similar levels. However my gf is using an app called AirCMI and the values there are much lower than in any of the other that I mentioned....any idea how it can be so different?

10 hours ago, Cristiancjb said:

What apps do you guys use to check the air pollution in your area? I have mainly used AirVisual and the page aqicn.org and they show quite similar levels. However my gf is using an app called AirCMI and the values there are much lower than in any of the other that I mentioned....any idea how it can be so different?

Gov sponsored app? ????

14 hours ago, Cristiancjb said:

airvisual and aqicn do show AQI.

aircmi shows µg/m3 concentration of pm2.5.

just google to find out the different!

https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.calculator

1234.png

2345.png

2 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

I pay attention to 2.5 levels....this is the size reaching your lungs and not passing through the sacs...

Exactly.  2.5 levels made up of bushfire smoke and dust are nowhere near the harmful levels of nano, or sub 2.5ppm particles, found near busy roads or industrial centres like Kandur, India. The Nano particles DO pass thru onto blood stream.

Far too much emphasis and journalistic <deleted> is spent on reporting CM 2.5 smoke and dust haze. 

• Confused 1

AQI is 800 (EIGHT hundred) now, outside my window, near Kad Suan Kaew and Old Town in Chiang Mai now, Sun Mar 29, 2020 at 7:55 AM.  

The numbers on aqicn.org, are way off, are way below the actual.  

As the day progresses, however, and as the super-thick clouds of smoke dissipates, the numbers given on aqicn.org will start to align with those of my high-quality AQI meter, but only when the numbers get to around 200-300, or maybe 300-400.  But when the smoke thickens and the AQI is over 300 and/or 400, then the numbers on aqicn.org "mysteriously" say in the 300-400 range rather than what they *should* be doing: climbing higher and higher, even (the other day) to 999. 

• Like 1