Chiang Mai Air Quality and Pollution

Cheesekraft

19 hours ago, Forza2002 said:

AQI getting higher again... over 100 in some places today.

This might happen every now and then.

Just a look from Oct. 2019 to May 2020 - Chiang Mai - CMIS  PM2.5 

image.png.cbef04197488da5cc064c9398c6153df.png

Chiang Mai - CMIS  PM2.5   

So, did you check your air purifier already?

We might/should have a look at 

Chiang Mai Air Quality & Pollution

First Page

I think, everything is already said. - So only my two screenshots from today.

The first (ventusky.com) seems to me a bit exaggerated. But who knows? 

image.png.ddd55dc5d9db6eb3fc9eb5844cf17d51.png

image.png.5979a91699a263837960235b33ec1ea2.png

aqicn.org/here

Edited by Yom

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2020 at 8:23 PM, Mapguy said:

On 26 October a fire was recorded North of the city that is a rice field area.

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 17.24.01.png

Not that anyone is paying  attention, but satellite coverage revealed anther fire (They have to be substantial.) is this same area on 6 November.

On 11/7/2020 at 6:51 PM, Mapguy said:

Not that anyone is paying  attention, but satellite coverage revealed anther fire (They have to be substantial.) is this same area on 6 November.

Reporting for the 3d time, there are satellite reports of fires North of the city.  So, this time, here is a photos of the rice fields near Mae Faek with the coordinates.

Mae Faek Fires Coor NOV2020.png

On 11/11/2020 at 12:39 PM, Thailand said:

Starting in earnest, playing golf this morning the smell of burning was coming from 2 or 3 different directions.

Time to form a committee and talk about it!

All talk and yet more smoke without fire!

• Sad 1

On 11/11/2020 at 12:39 PM, Thailand said:

Starting in earnest, playing golf this morning the smell of burning was coming from 2 or 3 different directions.

Time to form a committee and talk about it!

Well tell them to put their fags out.  It is a greens area after all!

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2020 at 11:07 PM, Forza2002 said:

and it's only Nov...

Coming Soon

December not too bad compared with our 'neighbours'

image.png.a8bb4c3de3af3a0ff4f9079425b54746.pngimage.png.6f643613ac5c875106e0bd53b86bd49b.png 

ChiangRai                                           ChiangMai

image.png.4537bd8a9ca5caad2202b977749c6b7a.png

• 1 month later...

A happy new year to you all on this fourth day of the year. The air pollution is back with a vengeance, there is a strong smell of biomass burning and the AQI in my area is at 159 - Unhealthy - and the pm2,5 reading is at 71,3 which is almost fifty percent above the Thai danger level. The question is which mask to wear, the virus one or the pollution one!

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, brommers said:

A happy new year to you all on this fourth day of the year. The air pollution is back with a vengeance, there is a strong smell of biomass burning and the AQI in my area is at 159 - Unhealthy - and the pm2,5 reading is at 71,3 which is almost fifty percent above the Thai danger level. The question is which mask to wear, the virus one or the pollution one!

Happy New Year to u 2.

As a matter of interest,  which AQ recording station are you referencing?

6 hours ago, markcm19 said:

... talk about what they will do this year in regards to the burning ...

May be?

There are so many problems in Thailand these days.

But:  no support regarding air pollution.

(usually)  You can't see it.

Chiang Mai: A hell of pollution started again and anybody do nothing for resolve the ANUAL BURN SESSION.

Are these guys in power too busy building a rocket to the moon with 3 billion Bath?????

Are they looking for a place in the moon with free pollution zone? ????

13AD7997-151B-4E52-903E-0A1451FED148.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

I am sorry to disappoint you with my grammar, although I speak other languages, English is not my native language.  I also assume that you have perfectly understood my words, I don’t need Your criticisms and after a few years writing in Thaivisa, is the first silly and malicious comment about my grammar. Focus on the OP issue and write with a little more propriety and not how I write my words.

About the high pollutions level; Chiang Mai have the honor to have the worst air in the world... Number one.????

It seems also, that you have no idea of the real cause of pollution in the North of Thailand. Not only the cars makes high levels of pollution. Or the dust in dry season as you say.

Living in North Chiang Mai more than 10 years, surrounded by farmers and neighbors who burns their plastics, garbage and plantation fields every days, burning their forests in the natural park where I reside, chemicals  for rice and vegetables plantations and above all, the winds that bring pollution from China or Burma. 

3B51D4CE-C066-41DB-A9B0-4F028F233AB0.jpeg

I was not criticising.  The poor grammar use made it difficult to analyse your intent and sincerity, especially in context with mention of moonshots and billions of 'baths'.  The latter could be put to good use in extinguishing fires .... no?

I too have lived here for over 10 years and studied 'smoke and pollution' in great depth which produced accurate data which I've shared in this very thread on previous occasions.  If you go back to some of my earlier posts you may find them of interest.

You say you live in north Chiang Mai "surrounded by farmers and neighbors who burns their plastics, garbage and plantation fields every days, burning their forests in the natural park where I reside, chemicals  for rice and vegetables plantations and above all, the winds that bring pollution from China or Burma"

That sounds terrible.  Have you spoken with your Orbitor, Tessaban or Amphur office about the burning of plastics and forests?  Down here in Chiang Mai the local authorities act on most genuine complaints fairly fast.  We make a point of getting 2 or 3 neighbours to complain also, thus it's seen as a larger problem ... one time they sent the fire brigade out to extinguish a rubbish fire ... overkill, but it stopped the villager from burning again.

Most of Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai gets smoke from Burma (and further west) a little later in the season.  Mae Hong Son also contributes to that.  I'm unaware of any pollution coming from China as that would require northerly winds.

Government agencies and NGO's are slowly educating Thai farmers in methods other than burning although it will likely never be a total success owing to topography which precludes the use of machinery to plough chaff under.

Our dry season creates DUST.  Vehicles, wind, construction, farming and almost every human endeavour exacerbates the dust problem.  HEAT causes the dust to rise and mix with vehicle exhaust fumes .... way more dangerous than vegetation smoke, and at times tinder dry bush catches fire and creates major smoke haze.  Not much we can do about those situations.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 5 weeks later...

The rain and wind really cleared things out. Morning constitutional, fortified by coffee, in a blustery wind with a bit of a chill, wow. An absolutely sparkling morning as the sun rose. If only we could get another three day blow next month.

• Thanks 1

jak2002003 [replying to  McTavish]: "It's almost like you are blind and have no sense of smell either."

You let McTavish live for a month not knowing  he was blind, and had no sense of smell ?"

~o:37;

image.gif

Edited by orang37
teething pain after re-birth as insect
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/9/2021 at 10:25 AM, orang37 said:

jak2002003 [replying to  McTavish]: "It's almost like you are blind and have no sense of smell either."

You let McTavish live for a month not knowing  he was blind, and had no sense of smell ?"

~o:37;

image.gif

I could smell smoke this morning, wasn't invasive, though Doi Suthep is almost obscured and general visibility down to ~ 8 km.  Normal for this time of year.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, McTavish said:

I could smell smoke this morning

This can be anything. PM2.5 not necessarily smells.

30 minutes ago, McTavish said:

Normal for this time of year.

But not good?

Here is a small table from this morning, Chiang Rai Forum:

Feb 15,  2021   

The winner today at 9 clock:

1.  Lampang  129 / 189

2.  Phayao      77  /  162  

3.  Phrae         76  /  162

4.  ChiangRai  60 / 153

5.  ChiangMai 54 / 146

Sorry, Bangkok. Only

PM2.5   29  /  AQI  86

At night everywhere much 'better'.

image.png.d1bcfd688b2e78ec5dd859f780fd2262.png

The air from northeast seems to be ok, while NW winds might

be very bad.  -  Anybody knows the situation in Myanmar?

image.png.7dbe993c84c55de38d940c6bc864b6ba.png 

A further explanation for the high AQI levels up north could

be the power plants Mae Moh/Lampang and Mae Sot/Tak.

http://berkeleyearth.org/air-pollution-overview/

https://www.iqair.com/

Edited by Yom
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1