Chiang Mai Air Quality and Pollution

Cheesekraft

12 hours ago, Thailand said:

You were obviously not where I was this morning, stink of burning and the mountain starting to disappear. And I guess the AGI at that time was incorrect? 

Unless we get the rain that some other places are getting  we are  couple of weeks away from 200 plus! 

I was 2 weeks out!

Screenshot (1).png

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Have a wild guess as to which mountain it may be based on your knowledge of having been in Chiang Mai for many years.

As for where I am? There was a clue in the thread title.

Well if you were in CM when you made the OP you must have been too busy looking at your computer screen to go outside and actually look and see what it was really like outside.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, DezLez said:

Then why stay there if you do not like it?

Because I have a job, family, friends and a life here.  It's my home and I love it here.  That does not mean I love the worst air pollution in the world. 

LIke you, I have also been here some time...I fact all my adult life since I was 24.  So I have lived here the largest percentage of my life. 

• Like 2

On 2/15/2022 at 8:09 AM, Thailand said:

Just because your computer tells you there is a certain amount of pollution at some recording/monitoring station does not mean it corresponds to what I and others are actually experiencing in CM City both at this moment in time and yesterday.  

It obviously does not seem to bother you too much if you are happy to go out and play golf in it!

• Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 2:32 PM, DezLez said:

Just because your computer tells you there is a certain amount of pollution at some recording/monitoring station does not mean it corresponds to what I and others are actually experiencing in CM City both at this moment in time and yesterday.  

It obviously does not seem to bother you too much if you are happy to go out and play golf in it!

You sound like one of those people who don't believe in science, raising sea levels as you can't see it where you are in CM.  What a our evolution...can't see you cat evolving so you don't believe in it?

Just because the sky looks clear from your house window does not mean there are not high levels of pollution in the air.  Did you have a pollution monitor to check levels were not the same as reported ones on your computer? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

What a our evolution...can't see you cat evolving so you don't believe in it?

Can you please translate into something that makes sense!

Or has the "Pollution" got to you?

Edited by DezLez
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, DezLez said:

Can you please translate into something that makes sense!

Or has the "Pollution" got to you?

Should read...'what about evolution'. 

Doing this on my phone on a train.  Just a typo.  Not hard for the average person to guess what it means.  Sorry you were not able to work it out.  No wonder you could not understand about pollution levels....that is more complicated.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Should read...'what about evolution'. 

Doing this on my phone on a train.  Just a typo.  Not hard for the average person to guess what it means.  Sorry you were not able to work it out.  No wonder you could not understand about pollution levels....that is more complicated.  

OK you have "explained", to your satisfaction, the evolution bit, but what evolution has to do with pollution reporting escapes me.

Also what about "can't see you cat evolving so you don't believe in it?"  What does that mean?

How about actually posting a meaningful sentence!

BTW if pollution is such a problem for you why are you using a filthy polluting Thai train rather than some mean green eco friendly transport?

Edited by DezLez
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DezLez said:

OK you have "explained", to your satisfaction, the evolution bit, but what evolution has to do with pollution reporting escapes me.

Also what about "can't see you cat evolving so you don't believe in it?"  What does that mean?

How about actually posting a meaningful sentence!

BTW if pollution is such a problem for you why are you using a filthy polluting Thai train rather than some mean green eco friendly transport?

Good grief. 

I was on the sky train in Bangkok.  It's electric. 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Good grief. 

I was on the sky train in Bangkok.  It's electric. 

Good Grief.

One minute you say you are in San Sai commenting about Pollution in CM and now you say you are in Bangkok typing Gobbledygook in a "sky train" now rather than a Train!

I am still waiting for an explanation of what; "can't see you cat evolving so you don't believe in it?"  What does that mean?

How about actually posting a meaningful sentence! or better still keep off the subject of pollution in CM city until such time as you actually are here and can make a meaningful and accurate contribution.

Please remember that inaccurate posts about the actual situation in CM hurts the local businesses!

Edited by DezLez
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/12/2019 at 8:14 AM, Pravda said:

It's been registering for the last few months and even before it wasn't near anything acceptable.

Don't you guys go back to your own countries from time to time and just notice the difference how much better you breathe?

Realy to bad as i love CM. But this is a serious reason not to live there anymore.

On 2/16/2022 at 12:24 PM, orang37 said:

Always like this - people who do not live here P and M

People who do live here P and M yet stay.

While others - moi - accept it for what it is, and dismiss the previous

• Confused 1

On 2/16/2022 at 4:09 PM, DezLez said:

Hogwash. Rare day I do not ride my bikes here. Out and about all the time.

Do you live here ? Or are glued to that same computer screen waiting for the AQI to update ?

• Confused 1

On 2/17/2022 at 7:41 AM, seedy said:

Do you live here ? Or are glued to that same computer screen waiting for the AQI to update ?

please digest the following which I have posted previously in this thread;

a)  I live in CM City and have done so for some time. 

b)  I do not trust the computer AQI figures. (Just look how well maintained the CCTVs, tsunami buoys etc are!) as I prefer to rely on my own senses regarding pollution etc when I am out and about in CM. (on foot mostly before you ask!)

c)   I do believe that there is a pollution problem in CM every year.  I just do not see it today or in the past few days!

3.  Some people posting on here recently may well be experiencing localised pollution but it is NOT at any significant level in the city at this moment.

On 2/17/2022 at 7:39 AM, seedy said:

Always like this - people who do not live here P and M

People who do live here P and M yet stay.

While others - moi - accept it for what it is, and dismiss the previous

Do you smoke tobacco products?

• Haha 1

On 2/15/2022 at 7:37 AM, Thailand said:

I was 2 weeks out!

Screenshot (1).png

Has anyone looked at the website/ figures in the post above;

Big letters saying "102 Unhealthy".   

But go to the website/photo and this is what it says;

"101-150    Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups    Members of sensitive groups may experience health effects. The general public is not likely to be affected.    Active children and adults, and people with respiratory disease, such as asthma, should limit prolonged outdoor exertion."

We basically do not have a pollution problem for the general public in CM city at this time, contrary to what that post implied.

Here is the link;

Air Quality Index Scale and Color Legend (aqicn.org)

Edited by DezLez
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, DezLez said:

Has anyone looked at the website/ figures in the post above;

Big letters saying "102 Unhealthy".   

But go to the website/photo and this is what it says;

"101-150    Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups    Members of sensitive groups may experience health effects. The general public is not likely to be affected.    Active children and adults, and people with respiratory disease, such as asthma, should limit prolonged outdoor exertion."

We basically do not have a pollution problem for the general public in CM city at this time, contrary to what that post implied.

Here is the link;

Air Quality Index Scale and Color Legend (aqicn.org)

The safe pm2.5 level is 0.

Also, the text refers to immediate effects.

It is not referring to the long term effects of readings in that range.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 2:38 PM, jak2002003 said:

You sound like one of those people who don't believe in science, raising sea levels as you can't see it where you are in CM.  What a our evolution...can't see you cat evolving so you don't believe in it?

Just because the sky looks clear from your house window does not mean there are not high levels of pollution in the air.  Did you have a pollution monitor to check levels were not the same as reported ones on your computer? 

Pretty sure most people take comfort in the fact that the polluted air is always "in the distance".....I have tried to explain to my Thai relatives that they're breathing it in and living in it, but they just think I'm mad.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Pretty sure most people take comfort in the fact that the polluted air is always "in the distance".....I have tried to explain to my Thai relatives that they're breathing it in and living in it, but they just think I'm mad.

That might depend on the difference between what you are breathing in and what they are doing!:partytime2:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DezLez said:

So is 50 and the only place you will get your so called "0" will probably be be in an oxygen tent or intensive care!

In Da Nang I have seen zeros periodically, and single digits often.

"So is 50 [safe]...".

"Good" is different than "safe".

" ...little or no risk".

"little risk" is different than safe.

"No risk" at 50 but 51 is "moderate health concern for a small number of people...".

Nonsensical.

Read WHO and the EPA's description of the green zone.

It is a weasle word salad.

Edited by JimmyJ

Pollution levels have skyrocketed in recent hours and, like every year, Thais set fire to their land..Thailand burns until the rains begin in April. Thanks  Sirsh#Politics ????????????

Welcome to Land of Smog (LOS).

C7777221-0823-4B4A-BC80-60795669D040.jpeg

Edited by Tarteso
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1