BANGKOK
Cheesekraft

Chiang Mai Air Quality & Pollution

On 2/9/2020 at 11:24 AM, Samuel Smith said:

Today was the mass cycle ride up Doi Inthanon.  AQI up around 200!

Our village (Mae Thalop, near Chaiprakan) will soon have a "mini-marathon" to sponsor the local hospital to buy some new machines. My GF already bought the sponsor shirts. And told me if I wanted to, I can join the run. 

We’re living the dream gentleman.

On 2/10/2020 at 3:37 PM, wolf81 said:

Our village (Mae Thalop, near Chaiprakan) will soon have a "mini-marathon" to sponsor the local hospital to buy some new machines. My GF already bought the sponsor shirts. And told me if I wanted to, I can join the run. 

Will you get free health care if you support them?

Will they let you enter parks for the same price as Thais?

Else why bother.

Edited by BritManToo

Today Doi Suthep has vanished! Disappeared .. Hope the airline pilots remember it still should be there somewhere 

• Haha 2

Mid Feb, shd be solidly starting any time soon bros! 

I am happy they finally started burning.

Went out on Feb 7th. I was angry because it seems between Feb 1 and 15th they were not burning much, when I checked the AQI, AQI "only" at 100-150 (normal hahaha).

So thank you, for finally starting it.  Because I want to return somewhere in May, so please burn now get it done. I was worried they dropped dead and it would take more time to get the burning started. Please do not disappoint us. Burn every day, we want to be able to come back, but you need to finish first.

• Like 1

Just came back from the Samoeng loop. Forest fires have started on the flanks on the mountains, near the American Pacific International School. 

Apparently lit overnight. Air quality horrific, far worse than in the city.

Last night was absolutely horrible. Could smell the <deleted> coming in through the AC.

The poor air quality in the Northern Thailand isn't getting a lot of attention in the media. The main focus is on corona virus. The long term health damage of inhaling polluted air on a daily basis doesn't appear to be of a concern to the Govt. They give the topic the occasional lip service, but nothing is ever done. We had a few clear days last week, but according to some Thai friends that was only due to a member of the royal family visiting Chiang Mai. So they can control the burning if they really want to.

image.png.96a341e83b6830f184f47438b89c0e0d.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Forza2002 said:

The poor air quality in the Northern Thailand isn't getting a lot of attention in the media. The main focus is on corona virus. The long term health damage of inhaling polluted air on a daily basis doesn't appear to be of a concern to the Govt. They give the topic the occasional lip service, but nothing is ever done. We had a few clear days last week, but according to some Thai friends that was only due to a member of the royal family visiting Chiang Mai. So they can control the burning if they really want to.

There was also quite a nice bit of wind from the south, that helped.

I'm not trolling on this post.  I am curious how much the pollution affects your day-to-day activities. 

100 = I can't do anything. 

1 = I never think about it.  

For over a year I've been in the 70's PM area and I would rank my experience :  30.   So the asthma, pills, medicine, etc....probably affects 30% of my existence.   

23 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

I'm not trolling on this post.  I am curious how much the pollution affects your day-to-day activities. 

100 = I can't do anything. 

1 = I never think about it.  

For over a year I've been in the 70's PM area and I would rank my experience :  30.   So the asthma, pills, medicine, etc....probably affects 30% of my existence.   

Well, instead of hiking/cycling 3x a week, I find it hard to just go once.

So that makes me 66/100, can hardly be bothered to do anything.

• Like 2

I look at the AQI chart and I am angry.

They do not burn enough. AQI now yellow/orange mostly!!! Not ok.

AQI should be above 200 now in the end of February. Not good, because it means there will be burning when many of us come back in the end of April and May. Lets pray that they have some mercy and get the burning done, instead of doing it all year.