Chiang Mai Air Quality and Pollution

Cheesekraft

Just now, motdaeng said:

... particularly in Shan state and laos ... all over thailand !!!!!!

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map/#t:adv;d:2023-02-25..2023-03-03,2023-02-25;@101.6,15.1,6z

FIRMS_2023-02-25_2023-03-03,2023-02-25[@101.6,15.1,6z].jpg

Yes, but now go look at windy.com and see how the wind currents flow across Thailand and where they cross. Pollution in Pattaya originates primarily in Cambodia, in northern Thailand it's laos and Shan state, that's what cross border airborne pollution is all about.

9 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Yes, but now go look at windy.com and see how the wind currents flow across Thailand and where they cross. Pollution in Pattaya originates primarily in Cambodia, in northern Thailand it's laos and Shan state, that's what cross border airborne pollution is all about.

if you want to improve the (air) situation, you should start by cleaning up the mess in front of your front door first ...

a big part of the air pollution is the cause of burining within thailand!

some people try to blame others in order to justify their own wrongdoing ... 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

if you want to improve the (air) situation, you should start by cleaning up the mess in front of your front door first ...

It's not about blame, it's about the facts of the matter. You can clean up the Thai backyard until it's sparkling clean but that won't eliminate airborne pollution.

12 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

It's not about blame, it's about the facts of the matter. You can clean up the Thai backyard until it's sparkling clean but that won't eliminate airborne pollution.

but, it would improve the air quality inside thailand and wolud give the thai government

the chance to address the issue of cross-border pollution!

do you recall how singapore responded to the  indonesian forest burying a few years ago? 

unfortunately, thailand will never stop burning its own nature/land/forest/garbage,

and thus will never be in the same strong position as singapore is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/3/2023 at 9:53 AM, motdaeng said:

but, it would improve the air quality inside thailand and wolud give the thai government

the chance to address the issue of cross-border pollution!

do you recall how singapore responded to the  indonesian forest burying a few years ago? 

unfortunately, thailand will never stop burning its own nature/land/forest/garbage,

Interesting article in the nation this morning says that satellite based hot spot detection systems showed roughly 2,700 hot spots in laos, 2,300 in Cambodia, 2,500+ in Myanmar and circa 750 in Thailand. All numbers very approx from memory. Also, vast majority of fires on national parks or protected areas, very few hot spots attributed to agricultural burning.

22 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Interesting article in the nation this morning says that satellite based hot spot detection systems showed roughly 2,700 hot spots in laos, 2,300 in Cambodia, 2,500+ in Myanmar and circa 750 in Thailand. All numbers very approx from memory. Also, vast majority of fires on national parks or protected areas, very few hot spots attributed to agricultural burning.

And the same article from the same newspaper at the same day says "after 3768 were detected across Thailand  "by the same agency .

FIRMS_2022-10-17_2022-10-18,2022-10-17[@96.4,15.5,5z].jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, chaila said:

And the same article from the same newspaper at the same day says "after 3768 were detected across Thailand  "by the same agency .

FIRMS_2022-10-17_2022-10-18,2022-10-17[@96.4,15.5,5z].jpg

Hot spots or fires? It doesn't make sense the same agency would report totally different numbers on the same day. Can you post a separate link to the numbers?

Edited by nigelforbes

On 3/3/2023 at 9:19 AM, motdaeng said:

sorry but not. Smoke doesn’t stay within the borders of the originating countries.. Misunderstanding may be due to micromyopia????

6F429C49-6B09-42F1-B388-5D77277550F7.jpeg

Edited by novacova

Sadly, the only ones I see burning with any large smoke plumes, are the municipal workers, at the park, PWA, PEA.

PWA has a huge burn pit, locally, maintaining their landscaped grounds.   Park has more than a few burn areas, almost weekly.

image.png.fddd5dcb902eefcc833298960bc3dad4.png

image.png.b1823af9aeb19cf3c64b6ed59794e624.png

image.png.7518ba71f80b9d985294eb21154f7cf8.png

Oh course, ourselves & neighbor will contribute a wee bit.   Very little for us, since we don't buy a whole lot of processed food, along with using most things that able to, for compost. 

Though will be making an almost smokeless burn barrel in the future.   Work in progress.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

…yesterday was windy and should have blown much of the smoke out, but it didn’t because it was blowing smoke in from neighboring counties then settling in the valleys. Various contributing factors and I doubt eliminating trash burning and not having any wildfires in Thailand will give us clear skies this time of year.

Edited by novacova

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Inside the house of course, Fresh Air year round.   If you don't have, you should have air purifiers.

Real time:

Whatever method used for keeping particles to a minimum, it will be useless unless the dwelling is sealed well, even a small crack will vent a lot from the outside.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, novacova said:

Whatever method used for keeping particles to a minimum, it will be useless unless the dwelling is sealed well, even a small crack will vent a lot from the outside.

A decent build will handle that.  We can actually take it down to zero, and always single digits when we want.  Quite easy enough to do.

Don't know why we have screens, as rarely use.  Smog season  vs damp rainy season.   Not many days see the air inside not 'conditioned'.   Too smoggy or too humid.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Hot spots or fires? It doesn't make sense the same agency would report totally different numbers on the same day. Can you post a separate link to the numbers?

Bangkokpost had these numbers 2 days ago. More fires in Thailand than in bordering countries.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

For those who believe the air is good inside the controlled environment of malls - 

Central Festival about 3:30 pm.today - a few floors up -  PM2.5 at 74 = AQI 161 = Red ("Unhealthy") Zone.

Better than the air outside but not good.

On 11/12/2019 at 9:43 AM, SoilSpoil said:

Thw whole country, even Phuket, are in orange or red. Thailand us sucking up its own air pollution.

North of Chiang Mai it's been in Hazardous all day. What is the next step beyond Hazardous? Death perhaps?

• Like 1

It is clear that they do not learn. Only international action will stop this madness.

If the Government remains inactive in the face of this threat and danger to Health, a simple warning to travelers by the embassies on their corresponding websites….  Will END Tourism and economy in the North.

01FA08B7-E6C5-4998-ABD7-2FBE0368EFD9.jpeg

Edited by Tarteso
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 9:53 AM, motdaeng said:

Ahhh, but it was Singaporean and Malaysian companies that were financing/owning many of the companies in Kalimantan and Sumatra responsible for slash and burn ahead of planting new oil palm plantations. Both the Singapore and Malaysia governments were therefore able to bring direct pressure to bear on the money behind the problem of the 'haze' originating from Indonesia. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 9:29 AM, Puchaiyank said:

Thank you for bringing up the AQI concern.

I related this concern to a poster who wanted to come to Thailand and his questions were only visa related...

Received a nasty response from a TVF regular blasting me for bringing up the subject of air quality when the question was only about a visa...

Ostrich place their head in the sand to keep from dealing with reality...wonder where my poster friend has his head?   ????

I hear a lot of folks, especially farangs talking about the air pollution but I notice that none of them are ever wearing an n95 mask, some are exercising to boot.  every chart I see says that when it is over 200

don't do go out of the house!  I used to run regularly, living in big cities and Drs. warned me about the

hazards associated with pollution.  I ignored them until I came down with Bell's palsy, affecting the 

nerves on one side of my face...I immediately went to the doctor, checked it out, said I had an infection probably from pollution in one of my eyelids.  Cleaned out 3 pockets of infection, and palsy was gone by the next day.  I try to avoid any outside activity when the pollution stays as high as it has here in CM.  Like I said I used to run daily, then at 65 changed to 5-10 kms a day walking.  With pollution like this, I have missed a daily walk for several weeks - only going out after the storms.  Hopefully we will get one of those today or soonest.  Locals just seem to say oh this is normal - wonder how long it will take them to realize how it affects one's health in most cases.

• Thanks 2

On 3/3/2023 at 2:07 AM, nigelforbes said:

Pollution in Pattaya is primarily from the industrial estates in Chonburi, Rayong and Chachoengsao. And its gonna get a lot worse!

7 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

A factor yes, primarily no! Fires are.

Not in the Pattaya region.

The haze in Pattaya was pretty evident in March this year and that may well have been due to smoke from crop burning and forest fires in the central and northern region.

The now notorious seasonal haze in Thailand extended as far South as Pattaya and Prachuap on the other side of the Gulf this year.

This is a combination of crop burning and later, forest fires.

Chonburi and surrounding provinces are relatively unforested themselves. There is a certain amount of crop burning. Forest fires are largely man made .

The problem for the provinces I mentioned is mainly industrial pollution that comes from the huge industrial estates surrounding Pattaya and the coast. This is a year round problem that again depends on the weather and other factors for intensity.

The pollution is more that just particulates....it affects air, water soil and sea. The disposal of waste is a major concern 

Locals have been protesting against poorly regulated industrial pollution for decades.

At one point 65 factories at Map Ta Put were closed down for several years due to shortfalls on emissions regulations. There have been several explosion disasters and oil slicks too.

• 10 months later...