Chiang Mai Air Quality and Pollution

Cheesekraft

30 minutes ago, Northstar1 said:

It’s bad, and only getting worse!

It’s not too bad now, though it’s will be worse in the next day or two. 
The red stuff on the map out west is heading this way….

IMG_2195.jpeg

Edited by novacova
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For all the heifers concerned about Chiang Mai AQ. The last 48 hours have seen a high pressure wave spill off the Yunnan plateau. This morning Doi Suthep as clear as its been since December. OTOH pretty fricking cold if making that 0600 gym run, gear up! 

• Thanks 1

That AQICN site seems to have lost Hang Dong - it dropped off the map (about a week ago?) and hasn't re-appeared since.

I've been using Accuweather which tells be things are OK - highest PM2.5 reading that last couple of weeks was about 70. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any history values

• Thanks 1

OP, which media are you referring to? They complain about air quality in Bangkok and surrounding areas, certainly not about CM where the air is the best I have seen in a several years for mid February. Proof that when the gov't (local and national) want to do something for real, they can.

• Thanks 1

No, but it's actually been suprisingly good most days considering the time of year.

Mornings tend to be worst with the cold air holding the smoke down in the valley.
But its getting steadily worse & this is unlikely to change until the rains come.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Pond Life said:

No, but it's actually been suprisingly good most days considering the time of year.

Mornings tend to be worst with the cold air holding the smoke down in the valley.
But its getting steadily worse & this is unlikely to change until the rains come.

the air is at the moment not so terrible, but far away from good... It is still unhealthy!

20240225.thumb.png.ddc4714bfa4fe997190fdca9c51d6614.png

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

If looking at the overall picture (and not just one station), it looks pretty good:

you are right, you need to look at the overall picture ... (not just one hour)

my definition of 'pretty good' would be AQI under 50 for most of the week / days ...

20240225cm.png.700816c1eb9cff14c2981d1dda670ff2.png

goodair.png.ae4dd89a97909793857e553a66d27c99.png

Edited by motdaeng
add pic

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2024 at 7:50 AM, rexpotter said:

How can anything but clean air be acceptable?

For me.....it's not acceptable and to avoid the "if you don't like it move" comments.

I have moved.

I spent 20 years gradually seeing the situation worsen in CM until it got to last year, the air quality levels were unacceptable to me. I'm retired I don't have to live there ,so I left.

I know more who will probably leave in time to avoid next years burning season.

What an environmental disaster

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

This is an abomination. The farmers do not seem to care one iota about their fellow Thai. Not one iota.

If the political hacks were not bought and paid for by big agra, the burning would stop. It is your compromised nature and your unwillingness to put up a good fight, that is the major cause of the air apocalypse we are facing. People are dying and suffering in hospitals on your watch, and their blood is on your hands. You are cowards. You are incompetents. You deserve to be kicked out with a vengeance.

Why is this happening? Because "Stretta the tiny" is a man who represents corporate interests.

This is the man who represents the elite.

This is not a man who represents progress, change, or helping the nation to move forward.

This is not a man who represents the people.
This not a man who cares one iota about the well-being of the people.

Corporations do not want to clean up the air, they're making billions by fouling the air. All the government or provinces would have to do is crack down on sugar companies and the air would improve by 70% overnight, this time of year. One simple move, yet do they do that? Do they enforce any of the existing laws? Absolutely not, they do not care for the people one iota, the common man, us, our neighbors and friends and family, we mean less than zero.

Sretta. The do nothing man.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 11.40.56 AM.jpeg

Edited by spidermike007
  • Love It 1

13 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

For me.....it's not acceptable and to avoid the "if you don't like it move" comments.

I have moved.

I spent 20 years gradually seeing the situation worsen in CM until it got to last year, the air quality levels were unacceptable to me. I'm retired I don't have to live there ,so I left.

I know more who will probably leave in time to avoid next years burning season.

What an environmental disaster

I've just checked the air quality right now and it's 198 in CM ...which is the worst AQ in the world!!

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

I have moved.

We did the same & looking back we are glad we did. Life is too precious to be breathing air such as that.

Yes you can hide & use a filter in a room but that is not living & that is not as purified as folks like to think. That you even have to wonder about the safety level of exercising outside was unacceptable to us so yes we left.

We do return yearly from Oct to Jan (we have a home there) but even last year it was already starting in December 🤔

Edited by mania
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

I've just checked the air quality right now and it's 198 in CM ...which is the worst AQ in the world!!

Well, yeah....when you say it like that, it sounds bad.

• Confused 1