Chiang Mai Air Quality and Pollution

Cheesekraft

5 minutes ago, Albaby said:

View from my joint 2 nights ago.

image.thumb.png.5d5b4114b9909fba0d081e576d1eee8a.png

the Thais are incapable of taking reponsibility for their own well being. hardly anyone wearing a mask. business as usual

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone know what has happened to the law suit taken out by a CM pressure group? They recently slapped an injunction on the government demanding an action plan in 90 days. That time must be coming soon! Oh, by the way the aqi close to my house is 340 at 13:30 hrs and you can chew the air.

On 2/25/2024 at 10:08 AM, TheAppletons said:

You may wish to move to the Swiss Alps then.  

I was getting the idea that all the Swiss have moved here, or Phuket at least, well, temporarily that is. 🙂

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I understand.

Despite all my grumblings I'm happier here despite it's shortcomings. 

Me too! But sometimes I debate a move. Usually after a few beers.  5555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Albaby said:

Carbon Dioxide is greening the earth. Nothing to do with the pollution afflicting Chiang Mai.

Yes I agree C02 is greening the earth  and the particulate matter pollution across Thailand is mostly due to burning forest and fields.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Northstar1 said:

Great place to retire!😂🤦🤷🏻‍♂️
still  those that defend it. Must have made the mistake of buying there!

As you will die much earlier because of the air pollution, you have much more money in each of the years still left.  Simple mathematics 🤣

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, johng said:

Yes I agree C02 is greening the earth

Greening the earth by burning greens. Yup, makes more sense than meteorological conspiracies.

Here's the NASA FRIMS map and the AQI numbers at this time. The usual culprits are Shan State in the NW and Laos to the East where contract farming as a proxy for China maize production is rampant, courtesy of Thai business sponsors. On a granular basis, that is hotspot density, Thailand looks much better than its neighbours, despite the massive fires in northern Chiang Mai. You have to view the first two maps in the context of the wind map, all major wind currents presently are from the East., which blow in all the airborne pollution from Vietnam and Laos. Lastly, Chiang Mai suffers from the inversion layer, because it is surrounded by mountains, which only compounds the problem.

image.png.5cea175e22739440d751dd3f019e0a4e.png

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map/#d:24hrs;@101.2,14.8,6.0z

Screenshot(60).png.a9fd9f5dbbc1bfa1a6591cc922ec449f.png

https://www.windy.com/?16.563,105.262,7,m:d2gajcr

Screenshot (61).png

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder how many different threads can be started in AseanNow about air pollution.

Perhaps we could have a contest to see who can post the greatest number of redundant comments?

Mods... didn't you start a separate forum just for Air Quality two years ago?  Can you start it up again? This is just the very beginning of the Burning Season and already there are three different threads on my first page.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

No it hasn't.

Certainly not CM, I moved here in 2004 and don't remember hardly any pollution at all

just because you don't remember doesn't  mean there wasn't air pollution ...

i relocated from chiang mai in 2005 because of the air pollution!

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

No it hasn't.

Certainly not CM, I moved here in 2004 and don't remember hardly any pollution at all

I also left cm in 2007 because of poor air quality, went to Phuket. Do you remember the swedish air force poster who used to champion the clean air cause at the time?

• Love It 1

8 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

just because you don't remember doesn't  mean there wasn't air pollution ...

i relocated from chiang mai in 2005 because of the air pollution!

Maybe you were the first person to have a machine to detect it......but I didn't know there were any available  in 2004. I didn't even notice any pollution!!

You obviously left when the numbers were very low, you could see the numbers going up and opted  to save yourselves from it

But I don't blame you for leaving..save your life, that's why I left.

I have bronchitis as it is ,  and am sure it would be further agreived in CM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

Maybe you were the first person to have a machine to detect it......but I didn't know there were any available  in 2004. I didn't even notice any pollution!!

You obviously left when the numbers were very low, you could see the numbers going up and opted  to save yourselves from it

But I don't blame you for leaving..save your life, that's why I left.

I have bronchitis as it is ,  and am sure it would be further agreived in CM

The PCD had four fixed sensors and one mobile sensor, actually I think they were owned by CMU and that the PCD hadn't been formed yet.