New Year's Resolution; Quitting Smoking

Samui Bodoh

Hi All

Yes, it is New Year's Eve and thus time for those pesky New Year's resolutions. And yes, one of the most popular is quitting smoking.

First, in the interest of openness and transparency; I was a smoker for 35 years or so, but I overcame my addiction and have been clean for about 2.5 years.

Are you going to try to quit smoking on New Year's Eve? 

The reasons for quitting are overwhelming, indisputable and inarguable; it is an addiction that does nothing to help you. It sucks up HUGE amounts of your hard-earned money for no measurable return. Zip. Nada. Nil. Nothing. No return at all. It makes you stink. No, it makes you reek. No, it makes you smell awful. No, it makes you reek AND stink AND smell awful. It is medically proven to cause serious, lasting health damage to you and those around you. It saps your physical abilities with damage to, among other things, your lungs and makes you wheeze like a person 50 years older than your real age. It makes your house stink. It makes members of the opposite sex not want to be with you. It forces you to adjust every activity that you do in order to make time to either smoke or waste time buying more cigarettes. 

It is an addiction without value.

And, perhaps most importantly, it causes impotence.

Yes, smoking turns you into a limp, floppy fella who can't fulfill your function. 

Yes, smokers should be nick-named "Droopy".

Yes, smokers can't really 'rise to the occasion'.

Yes, smokers are erectorally-challenged.

Okay, if you are still reading, then perhaps you have made the decision to quit. 

Congratulations!

I believe that this is the single most important step; in my own case, I never really decided to quit as I didn't think that I could do it, but once I (finally!) made the decision to quit and meant it, everything flowed from that.

Can I suggest that you have a read through some of the many threads in this sub-section of the TV Forum? There is a huge amount of good information on techniques, drugs, 'best practices', what 'worked' and what didn't, personal experiences of members, loads of encouragement, and more. 

The second to last comment that I will make might sound a bit strange, but... Perhaps it is better to quit on January 2nd or January 3rd or January 10th rather than New Year's Eve/New Year's Day. Odds are if you are a smoker, you'll likely be having a few drinks tonight and that will make things extra hard; things will be hard enough without adding a hangover, etc. Just a thought.

So, my fellow quitters-to-be! Pick a date. The night before that date, toss out all cigarettes, wash and put away/hide all ashtrays, get rid of lighters and wake up a non-smoker. You will have some tough days ahead, but if I could quit after 35 years, literally anyone can. 

Repeat: if I could quit after 35 years, literally anyone can.

My final comment is this; it is worth it. It is really, really worth it. You will feel better, you won't stink/reek, you will save huge amounts of money, and there will be 'More Lead In The Pencil'. It is worth it. It is really worth it.

Good luck!

image.jpeg.55ec6dea7a431fed0f8085b8f22aec16.jpeg

Happy New Year All!

Good luck with that one!

https://www.inc.com/marla-tabaka/why-set-yourself-up-for-failure-ditch-new-years-resolution-do-this-instead.html

And I'm not pouring cold water on the quest to quit smoking. I did it myself nearly 30 years ago. But a new year's resolution is not the best way to go about it.

Good luck to those who do try. Happy new year.

If you was a frequent flyer and you were informed that one in ten flights crash, would you stop flying? Or would you seek alternative transport?  The risks of contracting a serious disease  - heart, lung, stroke - for every time you light up, is one in ten, the same risk - USA morbidity statistics. 

IMO, the simplest way to kick a habit is to change the lifestyle circumstances, so that it isn't a habit. And cold turkey is far easier to manage than a reduction regime - because it's (potentially) a changed habit (of not smoking). 

I gave up alcohol on the 1st October 2019 after a health scare and a determination to change my habits (lifestyle). Now, three months later no alcohol is an entrenched habit that I can maintain - because it's a habit!!! 

Best wishes for a new New Year, peeps. 

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

If you was a frequent flyer and you were informed that one in ten flights crash, would you stop flying? Or would you seek alternative transport?  The risks of contracting a serious disease  - heart, lung, stroke - for every time you light up, is one in ten, the same risk - USA morbidity statistics. 

IMO, the simplest way to kick a habit is to change the lifestyle circumstances, so that it isn't a habit. And cold turkey is far easier to manage than a reduction regime - because it's (potentially) a changed habit (of not smoking). 

I gave up alcohol on the 1st October 2019 after a health scare and a determination to change my habits (lifestyle). Now, three months later no alcohol is an entrenched habit that I can maintain - because it's a habit!!! 

Best wishes for a new New Year, peeps. 

You might find this article (link below) interesting; it deals with how people's personalities affect their ability and method of quitting.

Cheers

https://www.psychologytoday.com/intl/blog/acquainted-the-night/201912/how-quit-smoking-based-your-personality

On 12/31/2019 at 7:17 AM, Puchaiyank said:

Smoked for 10 years...35 years ago...take breathing medication daily...have asthma like symptoms without daily meds...

Just don't smoke!

If you smoke...quit!

You can regain control over your health...nasty way to die...emphysema...

There is no excuse for anyone under the age of fifty to be a smoker, before they started they knew the health risks and all the other negatives, it was just pure stupidity.

In saying that, I congratulate those who have stopped, really stopped and never started again like the OP.

My wife started smoking about 10 years ago just to spite me, and subsequently became a heavier smoker than me, who is perfectly fine having one after dinner...maybe a few more if I am drinking. A few months ago she had a very serious lung infection and ended up in the hospital twice, so we just made a pact to end it. Even though I was only smoking one a day, I am still surprised at how powerful the craving is after dinner....I totally agree with the initial post that smoking tobacco is the dumbest habit imaginable.

I managed to quit ten years ago. Four years ago got diagnosed with emphysema. Luckily, the symptoms are still mild and I'm 82 anyway, so may go from something else before they get bad.

I found what helped was getting chest pains and breathing difficulty. Also, my wife made me go outside the house to smoke. I found that I could smoke half a cigarette and then stub it out and wait a couple hours to smoke the second half. Three or four cigarettes a day was enough. And then one day I just didn't bother. Don't know if it would have worked without the breathing difficulty, though.

1 minute ago, faraday said:

Gave up in June '19, after probably 30+ years of smoking every day.

Wasn't easy for the first two weeks, but I do feel better.

Next stop - no alcohol.

Good luck to anyone who is going to stop.

????

No beer, now that is taking it a bit tooooo far......????

PS. I stopped smoking in May 2019.....????

After several false starts i went 'cold turkey' and to my own surprize will clear the 20 year point this year.

A friend who started at the same time (15) died a couple of years ago at the age of 56 after a very long battle with smoke-related conditions.

"There but for the grace of god..."

34 minutes ago, Acharn said:

I managed to quit ten years ago. Four years ago got diagnosed with emphysema. Luckily, the symptoms are still mild and I'm 82 anyway, so may go from something else before they get bad.

I found what helped was getting chest pains and breathing difficulty. Also, my wife made me go outside the house to smoke. I found that I could smoke half a cigarette and then stub it out and wait a couple hours to smoke the second half. Three or four cigarettes a day was enough. And then one day I just didn't bother. Don't know if it would have worked without the breathing difficulty, though.

Hi Acharn

I am deeply sorry to hear that you got emphysema; I stopped a little over two years ago and sometimes get paranoid about medical problems later in life. But, I must say Respect! to you, Sir for stopping at age 72; I think the older you are, the more difficult it is. Hang in there, Sir, and be well.

Chest pains were the final straw for me as well, but I think a bit different. I became a cyclist several years ago, ironically because I was worried about health problems due to smoking. My routine at that time was to go all out sprint for the last 2 kilometers of my morning ride, and I would return home with what I called 'Chest Burn'. I don't know if 'Chest Burn' is a real thing or not, but i always thought of it as heartburn, moved up about 6-8 inches. I am happy to say that 'Chest Burn' is one of many things about my health that have improved greatly; in fact the 'Chest Burn' is gone completely.

@faraday. Everyone is different, so I don't know if my experience is relevant to you, but... I gave up booze about a decade ago simply because as I got older, I was not willing to tolerate a hangover anymore. Now, I meet my friends for the early part of cocktail hour and when they open their 3rd beer, I say my good-byes. I sat them down a long time ago and explained what and why I was doing it and they simply said "Cool". It is my way to still enjoy the camaraderie of cocktail hour while avoiding booze and hangovers. Perhaps it might work for you...

Cheers to all on the thread who have been willing to share their experiences, and hopefully our... 'adventures' will assist someone else avoid those insidious, evil killers.

Happy New Year to all!

April 1  2016... said I am giving up after 40plus years of pack per day. Went to see my Doctor and he prescribed Champix which I had heard horror tales about but decided it was better than continuing to smoke. 12 days later I had my last cigarette, Champix had no adverse effects and I am sure backed up my determination to quit. 

Result after three years is that I still can't lose the extra two kilos and the extra two inches around the middle even though I bicycle most days, positive side is that I am not wasting six thousand baht plus a month in Thailand or one thousand two hundred dollars in Australia

Good luck to you, you can do it...

great stories. thx for sharing everybody. i myself stopped smoking two decades ago. difficult as hell. to encourage my lungs i started snorkeldiving, to stay underwater for as long as i could. great way to practice my lungs. 

I also stopped eating meat, drinking coffee, and drinking beer. after a few years i concluded no cigarettes and no meat were wise decisions (for me) but i certainly dont want to live like a munk so started to drink coffee and beer again. ????

On 12/31/2019 at 7:17 AM, Puchaiyank said:

Smoked for 10 years...35 years ago...take breathing medication daily...have asthma like symptoms without daily meds...

Just don't smoke!

If you smoke...quit!

You can regain control over your health...nasty way to die...emphysema...

My Mum died from emphysema and never smoked a ciggie in her life, or went down a coalmine.

I started age 13 and by 1970 was on 60 a day. Woke up one morning, Oct 10th 1972, thinking I had better quit either smoking, drinking, or shagging or I am going to die.

I quit smoking and have never touched TOBACCO since!

Archived