Alcohol, drugs and driving continue to wreak havoc on Thailand’s roads

webfact

On 12/31/2019 at 10:32 AM, webfact said:

Justice Minister Somsak Thepsuthin said on Monday (December 30) that his ministry had joined with other government agencies including the Office of Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) in conducting random checks on 1,545 drivers of the coaches and vans transporting holidaymakers over the New Year festival, and found 5 of them had used narcotics.

Only 5?
The rest of them probably had the bundle ready!

On 12/31/2019 at 10:43 AM, keith101 said:

Unless they are prepared to do it 24/7 nothing will ever change including BIB doing they're job as well .

Correct.

A once a year campaign is useless as we all know.

Let's face it.

Thai life is cheap.

If the hi-so mob lost a few it would change but they wouldn't be seen on a m/c in any case. 

• Like 2

I'm really surprised that the increase in prosecutions (which is what I think they mean when saying 'cases') from 2944 in 2018 to 4452 in 2019 wasn't credited to enhanced departmental efficiency rather than increased drinking.

Astonished actually - that's a trick missed, someone best tell the good Minister.

5 Cases out of 1545 drug checks is only 0.32% That doesn't seem very high, in fact if I had that rate of productivity in a key KPI like that, I think I would expect to be replaced sharpish. Not providing a terribly good service to the Thai people perhaps?

On 12/31/2019 at 3:32 AM, webfact said:

addition, Somsak revealed that there were 4,452 drunk driving cases in 2019, an increase over the 2,944 cases in 2018. Thirty-six of them were repeat offenders. “After this, we will be even stricter in controlling drunk driving as well as increasing the penalty and introducing new measures to handle repeat offenders” he added

Obviously the message is getting thru' with 1500 more nicked this year over last and 36 suffering no regrets syndrome by doing it all again .. Give it a bit more strictness Chief .. its bound to work .. not .. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

Didn't realise that Thailand and Koh Samui were separate countries ????

The poster seems unable to say where these stats come from. Without a source they are just a pretty picture.

I have long suspected Samui to be an RTA hotspot but know of no reliable data sources for this.....and this suspect is just a made up graph.

Edited by Airbagwill

8 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

"there were 4,452 drunk driving cases in 2019,"

With a real police force, there would likely be 10 times more drunks detected

You are into the Thai way of thinking, with more consistent policing there would be 10 times less, why, because there is no reason not to drink and drive.