Has anyone managed to install Firefox or Chrome on a TCL Android TV?

giddyup

I've been trying for hours to install Firefox but get a message that it's not compatible with my system. I can't find Google Chrome anywhere on the Playstore App, but apparently it can be installed via a computer. Problem is I already have Chrome installed on my PC so can't select where I want the download. The browser options that are available, like Puffin, look a bit ordinary.

Is your TV a real androidTV or just a smart TV?

If just a smart TV it then depends on a manufacturers apps and invariably, are not well supported by the manufacturer when then do not work.

Try the firefoxtv app for androidTV which works well with a remote. Can can be downloaded from firefoxTV github.

Puffin TV is another app which works on androidTV with a remote control.

13 minutes ago, userabcd said:

Is your TV a real androidTV or just a smart TV?

If just a smart TV it then depends on a manufacturers apps and invariably, are not well supported by the manufacturer when then do not work.

Try the firefoxtv app for androidTV which works well with a remote. Can can be downloaded from firefoxTV github.

Puffin TV is another app which works on androidTV with a remote control.

It's a real Android 9 TV. I have Puffin installed already but it looks horrible. Have already said that the Firefox download says "not compatible".

30 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is here on the play store. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.chrome&hl=en

Checked out the install and it appears if your device is listed (tv in this case) you can install it from Chrome. It shows my tablet but I have Chrome already installed on it.

I have Chrome on my tablet and PC as well, but it just won't download from Playstore to the TV.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

It's a real Android 9 TV. I have Puffin installed already but it looks horrible. Have already said that the Firefox download says "not compatible".

Android puffin or androidtv puffintv?

Android firefox or androidtv firefoxtv?

Have you tried uninstalling the old version of the app (if installed) and then try install the new version.

Is the app you are trying to install 32 bit or 64 bit, generally the android system on most devices does not work with 64 bit apks.

Try installing older versions of the apk?

Download the apk separately and sideload them.

The playstore for android tv is diff from the android playstore. Chrome apk is not in the androidtv playstore and nor are any of the normal android browsers.

To install apks not in the android tv playstore you can download them on a pc from rawapk,  apkpure or apkmirror sites. Transfer the dload apk to a usb. Install a file manager on your androidtv from the playstore, plug the usb key into the tv and through the file manager navigate to the apk on the usb key and install it.

If the apk does not show on the home screen after installation then install sideload launcher from playstore and you can see the installed apk icon on the tv there.

Also you can install aptoidetv or aptoide to install apks from their playstore.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

I have Chrome on my tablet and PC as well, but it just won't download from Playstore to the TV.

I sideloaded an Android version of Chrome onto my MiBox Android TV and it works fine with a Bluetooth mouse.

I had tried in the past several different versions of Firefox, but never got one that I could get working very well.

Archived