British man killed by ‘faulty’ firework in Pattaya

webfact

British man killed by ‘faulty’ firework in Pattaya

Brit.jpg

Picture: Siamchon News

A British man has been killed in an accident while trying to set off a firework in Pattaya.

Police said the 51 year old man was trying to light the firework when it exploded in his face.

The incident took place at 12.30am on Soi 13/2 close to the Miami GoGo.

Witnesses said the man had tried to light the firework at least two times, it then exploded next to him as he tried to light it a third time. 

p2.jpg

Picture: Siamchon News

Due to the severity of his injuries and despite the best efforts of rescue workers, the man was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said they suspect the firework, the sale of which is illegal in Thailand, was faulty and this was the reason it did not go off as intended,

An autopsy is due to be carried out to determine the man’s official cause of death.

The British Embassy has been informed. 

Source: Siamchon News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-01

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, webfact said:

Police said they suspect the firework, the sale of which is illegal in Thailand,

So, where did all the hundreds of fireworks that I saw and heard around our house last night come from, the tooth fairy maybe.

R.I.P. to the unfortunate victim.

Just now, webfact said:

Police said they suspect the firework, the sale of which is illegal in Thailand, was faulty and this was the reason it did not go off as intended,

The fireworks are sold everywhere in Thailand, almost like they are legal.  Who would have guessed?

faulty firework ?

drunk - tried to light it, thought it failed to go off - went to look

RIP

These big fireworks are dangerous and should not be available to buy on the street, years ago saw a drunk Thai woman light one of these outside a bar I was in then knocked it over, it went off straight into the bar, one young Thai girl was hit in the neck and nearly died, another faulty firework

5 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

fireworks are illegal? Whod have known! Local shops where i am were selling all night. 

I used leftover 2yr old fireworks last night and was a little hesitant but thankfully i didnt blow myself apart.

That particular firework is illegal not all fireworks 

Watch for: Committee (kind of like a task force) being formed by PM to study sales and use of fireworks in Thailand. Appoints himself as "chair person" citing his extensive background with explosive devices (and situations).

51 is much too soon to go. Condolences to family and friends.

35 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

Tragic, and avoidable.

I am sure no effort will be made to track down the illegal seller.

R.I.P.

Yeah right... a nationwide hunt for the illegal seller, billboards and APB, many foreigners over the years has met their untimely demise due to to this or that mishaps and accidents and this case is no different...

why do so many think this problem is only a Thailand problem Here is a USA number you can chew on...In 2017 there were 12,900 people ended up in hospital emergency rooms with injuries from fireworks. repeat...12,900. Many also died. I am sure the rest of the world had similar numbers. I am also sure they did not try to find the sellers.

Just now, ebean001 said:

why do so many think this problem is only a Thailand problem Here is a USA number you can chew on...In 2017 there were 12,900 people ended up in hospital emergency rooms with injuries from fireworks. repeat...12,900. Many also died. I am sure the rest of the world had similar numbers. I am also sure they did not try to find the sellers.

Thanks, we needed The USA comparison .

And not many think that firework accidents are only a Thai problem 

42 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

fireworks are illegal? Whod have known! Local shops where i am were selling all night. 

I used leftover 2yr old fireworks last night and was a little hesitant but thankfully i didnt blow myself apart.

but thankfully i didnt blow myself apart ==> That could be debated.

Unreal. They have been blowing up this stuff for more than a week allover town. In the middle of bars and people. The Farangs acting even more moronic than the TH on Soi Bouakao. A miracle only a handful of people get hurt. Best advice to stay away. MS>

Archived