What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2020)

CharlieH

Just watched ..."Angel has Fallen" 

This is a kind of follow on from "London has Fallen" with Gerard Butler and the character of Mike Banning secret service agent.

After the events in the previous film, Secret Service agent Mike Banning finds himself framed for an assassination attempt on the President. Pursued by his own agency and the FBI, Banning races to clear his name and uncover the real terrorist threat

An entertaining and very good action/thriller, I enjoyed it and if action/thrillers are your thing too, this is well worth a look. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was reminded that the new "High Fidelty" series was released on Friday.  When I first heard about it, my thoughts were:

1.  The protagonist is a woman?

2. The woman is Zoe Kravitz?

I gave it a shot, and after Episode 1, I'm intrigued.  Long ago, when I watched the movie, I had to get over my "It's not the book" objection. I'm glad that I did. 

It won't be everyone's cup of tea. The quick shot of Zoe's rack was worth "the price of admission" for me.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

Just caught the first two episodes of what is surely another winner

from the director of Italian mafia movies like Suburra. Based on a book

by Roberto Saviano, the Gomorra guy.

Zerozerozero

8 part series, 1st two available with HC subs.

Very cool.

i'll give it a go the first series of Suburra and Gomorra were good, after that both series lost something

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

i'll give it a go the first series of Suburra and Gomorra were good, after that both series lost something

Oooh, can't agree with you there.

Especially about Gomorrah.

Reckon every season has been great.

• Like 2

Knives Out

This is worth a watch---I only picked up on it because I usually take anything that Toni Collette is in, & hadn't seen her since the TV rape series Unbelievable  she only plays a small part in this one, but it has many other stars in it. Including the James Bond guy....

Its just a light but entertaining murder mystery ..................:coffee1:

• Like 1

Storyville - Fishing for Love: How to Catch a Thai Bride

Thought this was really interesting.
Available on BBC iplayer or for download on RARBG.

Summary: A Storyville documentary. In a small fishing community on the west coast of Denmark, over 900 Thai women are married to local fishermen. The trend started 25 years ago when Sommai, a former sex worker from north east Thailand, married Niels. She became a matchmaker for lonely Danish locals and impoverished women from her village in Thailand. At first, these stories seem straightforward: white men from a wealthy country marrying Asian women looking for a way out of poverty, but a different, far more complex and surprising tale unfolds in the film.

Over ten years, acclaimed film-maker Janus Metz and film-maker and anthropologist Sine Plambech follow four Thai-Danish couples in an intimate chronicle that explores universal questions of love and romance, while navigating wildly different cultures, and compromises that shift gradually and surprisingly from sacrifice to life choices.

• Thanks 2

Have not seen it mentioned but the action series "Strike Back" season 8 is back on. Episode 1 is the usual crew fighting another season. Same crew as the past couple seasons. They deal with folks in another country fighting their way out of each situation bullets flying and bouncing off cars and trucks. The first few seasons were pretty good as was the acting and scripts but now the series is getting boring for me. The boss man and his "elite" crew are not that good and the fighting sequences are second rate compared to the early years.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hunters

New series starting this week.

Summary: A diverse band of Nazi hunters living in 1977 New York City discover hundreds of high-ranking Nazi officials are conspiring to create a Fourth Reich in the U.S. The eclectic team will set out on a bloody quest to bring them to justice.

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2020 at 7:05 AM, Will27 said:

Storyville - Fishing for Love: How to Catch a Thai Bride

Thought this was really interesting.
Available on BBC iplayer or for download on RARBG.

Summary: A Storyville documentary. In a small fishing community on the west coast of Denmark, over 900 Thai women are married to local fishermen. The trend started 25 years ago when Sommai, a former sex worker from north east Thailand, married Niels. She became a matchmaker for lonely Danish locals and impoverished women from her village in Thailand. At first, these stories seem straightforward: white men from a wealthy country marrying Asian women looking for a way out of poverty, but a different, far more complex and surprising tale unfolds in the film.

Over ten years, acclaimed film-maker Janus Metz and film-maker and anthropologist Sine Plambech follow four Thai-Danish couples in an intimate chronicle that explores universal questions of love and romance, while navigating wildly different cultures, and compromises that shift gradually and surprisingly from sacrifice to life choices.

I found this a sad and depressing chronicle of Thai/Farang love, far removed from the couples we know and interact with.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, longball53098 said:

Have not seen it mentioned but the action series "Strike Back" season 8 is back on. Episode 1 is the usual crew fighting another season. Same crew as the past couple seasons. They deal with folks in another country fighting their way out of each situation bullets flying and bouncing off cars and trucks. The first few seasons were pretty good as was the acting and scripts but now the series is getting boring for me. The boss man and his "elite" crew are not that good and the fighting sequences are second rate compared to the early years.  

Not to mention hardly any nudity, whereas seasons 2,3,4 were full of naked ladies.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

just coming to the end of The Sopranos,after watching The Deuce and enjoying them both over the months ,any suggestions ,ive heard The wire is good ?

Its good bert.....and its true..............

• Thanks 1

Gangs of London.

I'm quite looking forward to this. It was supposed to have started last year but the launch has been pushed back.....and back. Still no release date but at least there's now a trailer out so shouldn't be more than a few weeks.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2020 at 9:37 AM, bert bloggs said:

just coming to the end of The Sopranos,after watching The Deuce and enjoying them both over the months ,any suggestions ,ive heard The wire is good ?

Have you seen The Shield?

ditto Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/17/2020 at 10:00 PM, JHolmesJr said:

New Icelandic thriller series called Brot (Valhalla Murders)

Dropped by Spud17....

Does your copy have English Subs?

I checked the media info and I could only find Icelandic subs, 720P too

I will download and check.