What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2020)

CharlieH

Anyone watch the TV series "Hannibal"? It gets a 8.5 rating on IMDB so I thought I'd download all 3 series and give it a try. Got about half way through episode one and gave it away as it didn't grab me at all. Did I give up too soon, should I persevere?

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Anyone watch the TV series "Hannibal"? It gets a 8.5 rating on IMDB so I thought I'd download all 3 series and give it a try. Got about half way through episode one and gave it away as it didn't grab me at all. Did I give up too soon, should I persevere?

I thought it was pretty good, not 8.5 good though.

I didn't stick with it.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 3:01 PM, bkk6060 said:

Boy, these android boxes are a life saver.  1000's of choices for free.

Just watched the new Netflix drop with Chris Hemsworth called: Extraction.

I liked it a lot great action lots of fighting and carnage.

Recommend for action buffs.

How long does it take you to go through all those 1000 choices before you decide which to watch.   PML

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

That's why I stopped using my Android box, overwhelmed with choices. I now prefer to just download what appeals to me, put everything on a external hard drive and watch at my leisure.

Put onto OneDrive or GoogleDrive and you can watch anywhere, anytime on any device.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Always best to ignore ratings and let your own taste be the judge with one or two test episodes.

Example - Money Heist has 8+ but I dumped it at S01E02 as I don't like soapy comedy with titles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Don't you have to pay for extra capacity on One Drive?

Yes, but not too much. Or, as I do, get a family subscription for 5 people (brothers etc) for £80 a year, that's £16 each incl Office 365. You then get 1 TB EACH on OneDrive. I have ALL my personal folders, pictures, docs, music, videos, software etc etc moved to OneDrive, so automatically backed up, and available anywhere. It works fine.

Just now, stouricks said:

Yes, but not too much. Or, as I do, get a family subscription for 5 people (brothers etc) for £80 a year, that's £16 each incl Office 365. You then get 1 TB EACH on OneDrive. I have ALL my personal folders, pictures, docs, music, videos, software etc etc moved to OneDrive, so automatically backed up, and available anywhere. It works fine.

Well, it costs me nothing to put all my downloads as well as documents, photos etc onto a portable hard drive, so why pay?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Well, it costs me nothing to put all my downloads as well as documents, photos etc onto a portable hard drive, so why pay?

And if that hard drive (SSD?) went tits up or was nicked? Up to you, but I am happy and confident, and would recommend my system to anyone. And for Bht 640 a year if you have four other friends!

Edited by stouricks

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

So tell me where do you get these free portable hard drives ? Or did you have to pay for it ?

On 5/31/2020 at 11:02 AM, xylophone said:

I mentioned Tom Hardy a few posts ago and how much I enjoyed a few of his movies, so last night I sought out another one called, "The Drop" and also thought it was very good.

He plays a laid-back, mild and good-natured guy who works nights in a bar............

On your recommendation I downloaded and just watched it. Very enjoyable, thanks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stouricks said:

And if that hard drive (SSD?) went tits up or was nicked? Up to you, but I am happy and confident, and would recommend my system to anyone. And for Bht 640 a year if you have four other friends!

If it went tits up I'd buy a new one and transfer what I have saved on my computer onto it. Also have the same things saved on a laptop. Life would go on.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Cost me $50 10 years ago, so $5 a year so far.

Wow you are very fortunate that it is still working with all that rotating and head moving it has to do. I hope you have it backed up.........................to where?

I remember the first hard drive I got in 1990, an HP 50MB job to replace many floppy disks,  12 inches in diameter, took 5 minutes to speed up, and to slow down. Cost me £600 !

Edited by stouricks

Wow you are very fortunate that it is still working with all that rotating and head moving it has to do. I hope you have it backed up.........................to where?

I remember the first hard drive I got in 1990, an HP 50MB job, 12 inches in diameter, took 5 minutes to speed up, and to slow down. Cost me £600 !

Backed up on my laptop.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Cost me $50 10 years ago, so $5 a year so far.

10 years? You are lucky it hasn't yet failed.

Things have changed a lot in ten years. No need for such outdated methods unless you actually wish to archive everything you download.

But then backing everything up to OneDrive or Google Drive also sounds somewhat ten years ago.

Unless you have a system for automatic remote uploads, it just more work, more bandwidth, more time.

Easier to have a service that does it all for you. Stores your choices and allows you to stream/download them anywhere and on any device.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Things have changed a lot in ten years. No need for such outdated methods unless you actually wish to archive everything you download.

But then backing everything up to OneDrive or Google Drive also sounds somewhat ten years ago.

Unless you have a system for automatic remote uploads, it just more work, more bandwidth, more time.

Easier to have a service that does it all for you. Stores your choices and allows you to stream/download them anywhere and on any device.

More bandwidth, more time???? It takes about a minute to download a full 1080 movie from my OneDrive and with a 1GB internet connection, no worries.

Why is OneDrive or any other Cloud storage 'somewhat ten years ago' please?

Edited by stouricks

1 minute ago, stouricks said:

More bandwidth, more time???? It takes about a minute to download a full 1080 movie from my OneDrive and with a 1GB internet connection, no worries.

Why is OneDrive or any other Cloud storage 'somewhat ten years ago' please?

How does it get on to your OneDrive account in the first place?

4 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Bottom line is I have very little that I need to save or store. A few photos that I rarely look at, some documents that I have hard copies of, so losing everything wouldn't be a disaster.

• Like 1

Just now, Bruno123 said:

How does it get on to your OneDrive account in the first place?

When I download from say BitTorrent, I tell it to put the movie in my Videos folder. Yes, I know that is downloading it, then uploading it, but when planned to do at night, as I am kipping, it's good. 

I do tend to keep unwatched movies locally in my OneDrive folder until I have watched them, than usually delete them, there are too many movies out there, many of them absolute sh..e.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Especially lately with little in the way of new movie releases.

Oh, I wouldn't say that, there are many many new movie releases, but most of them are sh..e, or kids animated stuff. The number of times I have downloaded 10 movies overnight, and watched 5 minutes of each before deleting. 

BBC iPlayer, and other UK channels, and You Tube give me more than enough to watch.

2 minutes ago, stouricks said:

When I download from say BitTorrent, I tell it to put the movie in my Videos folder. Yes, I know that is downloading it, then uploading it, but when planned to do at night, as I am kipping, it's good. 

I do tend to keep unwatched movies locally in my OneDrive folder until I have watched them, than usually delete them, there are too many movies out there, many of them absolute sh..e.

That's what I mean. You download it, only to upload it again. Not a huge issue, especially if you have a super-fast connection. Then as you say, it may turn out to be a pile of steaming...which you then have to delete.

As an aside, I get 5TB of storage free with my Office 365 package...which cost me less than 60 baht in total.

Oh, I wouldn't say that, there are many many new movie releases, but most of them are sh..e, or kids animated stuff. The number of times I have downloaded 10 movies overnight, and watched 5 minutes of each before deleting. 

BBC iPlayer, and other UK channels, and You Tube give me more than enough to watch.

There is also a lot of old stuff being regurgitated, which shows the lack of new releases. Have a look at the date of the movies.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

No, you said 'Especially lately with little in the way of new movie releases.'

I said that there were too many.

No, there's not. Torrent Galaxy has about 4 2020 movies, the rest are either a couple of years old or much older, ie all the Bourne movies.

• Like 1