What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2020)

CharlieH

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

Watched all episodes of Mindhunter. An excruciatingly slow series, that lives of its supposed real life details and it does stay true to the book in many areas. However, Ann Burgess, who is very much heterosexual with a husband and children and a nursing academic, was turned into a lesbian. You see this a lot now of course, we had South Park's Token, but now it's lesbians and gays that apparently have to be included in many series. Anyway, despite this peculiar violation of its real life credentials I stayed with Mindhunter, but wish I hadn't. A slow and bleak  series, avoid.

Now watching Cobra Kai, which is unbelievably stupid and poorly written. I should have learned my lesson when Will Smith's kid ruined one of the greatest films of the 80s, but could not resist a sequel to Karate Kid. It's really awful unfortunately.

You have been warned.

I thought both series of Mindhunter were superb.

With an IMDB rating of 8.6, seems I'm not the only one who rated it.

• Like 1

Documentary - Inside Broodmoor: Criminally Insane

Part 1 available now.

Summary:  two-part documentary special marks the 150th anniversary of Broadmoor, home to Britain's most notorious killers. With exclusive and unprecedented access to Broadmoor’s archives, this film unfolds the extraordinary history of the world’s most famous and feared hospital. Why was it originally created, and what has it become?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Will27 said:

No, it's a widely held view, 98% on Rotten Tomatoes, like Cobra Kai has 94% on RT as well.

Then again Take That and BTS are super popular.

Personally I found Mindhunter excruciatingly slow. And Cobra Kai's writing almost embarassing.

What a difference to quality series like Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Dexter or GOT.

The Sounds

New Kiwi series just started.

Summary: Maggie and Tom Cabbott move to the town of Pelorus to escape the oppressive influence of Tom's family.

But when he disappears, unsettling facts about Tom soon come to light and the search brings long-buried wounds to the surface.

3 minutes ago, Logosone said:

No, it's a widely held view, 98% on Rotten Tomatoes, like Cobra Kai has 94% on RT as well.

Then again Take That and BTS are super popular.

Personally I found Mindhunter excruciatingly slow. And Cobra Kai's writing almost embarassing.

What a difference to quality series like Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Dexter or GOT.

Cobra Kai is not my thing so I haven't seen it.

Same as GOT and Walking Dead.

Enjoyed Dexter and BB.

Each to their own I guess.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Cobra Kai is not my thing so I haven't seen it.

Same as GOT and Walking Dead.

Enjoyed Dexter and BB.

Each to their own I guess.

I don't like sword and sorely and mystical stuff either

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Need to be careful when downloading as there is also a UK series of the same name from a couple of years ago

Raised by wolves.

Sadly another woke PoS ......... multicultural children and strong female androids with magical abilities.

The male android being portrayed as a bit weak & stupid, because as everyone knows, men are weak & stupid.

Watched all three episodes, it didn't get any better, just sillier.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Raised by wolves.

Sadly another woke PoS ......... multicultural children and strong female androids with magical abilities.

The male android being portrayed as a bit weak & stupid, because as everyone knows, men are weak & stupid.

Directed by Ridley Scott with a 8.7 review rating, can't be that bad, but I haven't watched it yet.

Dug up a couple of old Antipodean movies to watch last night, and enjoyed them both.

The first was a Kiwi offering called "The Quiet Earth" and it was okay, and the good thing about it was that I recognised a lot of places in and around Auckland, which brought back memories! Bruno Lawrence starred in it, as he did in quite a few Kiwi films, and I've always enjoyed his stuff.

The second was an Australian offering called, "Burke and Wills" and this had a lot more going for it with regards to subplots than did my previous movie, and it was enjoyable because of this. 

I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it, or haven't seen it for a long time, but what stuck out for me this time (as I think I watched it many, many years ago) was the suffering endured by the Burke and Wills expedition juxtaposed against the lifestyle of the aborigines – – – all around was sustenance, but you had to know how to take advantage of it! Enough said.

Also dug up the film "Savages" and found that to be very enjoyable especially as I hadn't seen it before.

Art Zone - The Coen Brothers-----BBC2

TV documentary. A profile of film-makers Joel and Ethan Coen who began their career with little money but ended up successfully taking on the Hollywood establishment. Including many guests featured in their films.

This is quite dated so prob hard to get---its just that Chaos is doing a run of Doco's on people like Stanley Kubrick, Coen's etc from their Art Zone library

• Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 5:23 PM, Peter Denis said:

Recently re-watched some older John Boorman movies.

Excalibur a bit outdated, but still OK.  Deliverance and The Emerald Forest aged very well, and (much) better than most recent movie-output. 

Deliverance was a masterpiece. It totally carries the test of time. Saw it recently. While the period was there, the story was timeless.

He got a real pretty mouth, ain't he?

Drew Ballinger: Is he alive? Lewis Medlock: Not now.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Will27 said:

Mindhunter was initially good but its very slow storyline eventually made me switch off for good.

Tenet rated 8 on IMDb is worth a watch, i think rated 8 mostly by schoolboys who like sci-fi, an intentionally confusing story, personally i prefer movies that keep the viewer with them

Edited by scubascuba3

15 hours ago, Will27 said:

Documentary - Inside Broodmoor: Criminally Insane

Part 1 available now.

Summary:  two-part documentary special marks the 150th anniversary of Broadmoor, home to Britain's most notorious killers. With exclusive and unprecedented access to Broadmoor’s archives, this film unfolds the extraordinary history of the world’s most famous and feared hospital. Why was it originally created, and what has it become?

Did they cover JImmy Saville being given the keys? talk about the insane running the place!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Did they cover JImmy Saville being given the keys? talk about the insane running the place!

He pretty much had free rein at the Children's Hospital as well.

Edited by giddyup

16 hours ago, Logosone said:

Personally I found Mindhunter excruciatingly slow.

I noticed you read it as a book first? That tends to spoil movies and series, The Martian, although an ok movie, was spoiled for me because the book was far better.

4 hours ago, giddyup said:

Directed by Ridley Scott with a 8.7 review rating, can't be that bad, but I haven't watched it yet.

It's a real pity if he's gone woke. Made many a good movie.

EDIT: The rating sites are now flooded with the woke crowd. Any gay or minority movie will be around 9 right after the release as they are active in internet. The real reviews come months later.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 10:22 AM, bkk6060 said:

This guy comes back to Thailand to revenge the death of some family members involved in a traffic accident.

I like seeing movies filmed in Thailand.  This one was just average I thought.

15988439847258797502922333029592.jpg

I wanted to like it, as it is a Thai production, with a mostly Thai crew. It is certainly not an Ong Bak, Pee Mak, or a King Naresuan. Although not highly rated, Only God forgives was great. Brutal. And Vithaya Pansringarm played the nastiest, best mean and corrupt Thai cop ever. A truly memorable performance. Ryan Gosling was great, as usual. Very atmospheric, directed by the highly eccentric, and very talented Nicolas Winding Refn. 

One Night was very poorly directed. Good cinematography, and Dacascos was great. But, it was too wooden, and the Thai cops with their perfect English skills were a bit much. Also, the bad guys seemed poorly cast. And the taxi driver, complaining about being broke, while driving a brand new Volvo SUV, and speaking english like she was from London. Yeah, right. 

Edited by spidermike007

On 8/2/2020 at 8:35 PM, JohnnyNJoy said:

Been trying to get back into the most recent season Peaky Blinders. So far I'm not really getting into it. Previous seasons were way better. Hopefully the next season improves upon it. 

The general consensus, is that they basically lost the plot. Same as last two seasons of GOT. A pale shadow of the former seasons. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Raised by wolves.

Disappointing for somebody who made Alien, Blade Runner and Gladiator, it's as if he started at the top and has worked his way down. Surprised they did not call the kids L G B T Q + , watched first one doubt if it gets better.

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Raised by wolves.

I have to admit you are correct. I couldn't get past the first half of episode one, and I'm a sucker for good SciFi. Half decent SFX but that's about it.

• Like 2