What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2020)

CharlieH

Anyway..All is not lost, ...the trailer after that was "Fracture" Antony Hopkins at his best as a calculating murderer.

Its 13 years ol----and a great movie if you haven't see it, the pirates still have lots of activity on it . Quick download

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Remakes of British series in US are very rarely good. Adding wokeness to the slow burn Brit style is a recipe for disaster. I'm not sure I can name any that worked, although there must have been one or two.

As expected. Now fans of the originals usually don't care for remakes anyway. And other things being equal, an audience member will likely prefer a familiar environment: awesome white wigs, for example, in Law & Order UK over actual hair or baldness in Law & Order.

But these American remakes are generally considered to have worked better. Sometimes the underlying quality is about the same, but the American series add in a lot more. 

House of Cards
The Office
Shameless
American Idol
Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Three's Company
Sanford and Son
Veep
Lotsa Luck
Secret Millionaire
Being Human

Not that I liked any of these except the earlier seasons of House Of Cards, but they were all popular w/ the masses.

And then--watch your knickers--there actually are some Brit remakes of American series that are generally regarded as inferior to the originals.

Days Like These
Married for Life
Brighton Belles
Nobody's Perfect
In with the Flynns

But we can agree the present era is probably the worst for remakes. That's been evident for a few years now. It'd be nice to have hope for the new Dune or Battlestar Galactica, but--no. We'll see.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/26/2020 at 10:59 AM, DrTuner said:

I started watching Ratchet on Netflix. Looks good after first two episodes. And to answer my own question, no, it doesn't seem to be connected to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, although being an origin story, that might pop up later.

Just watched Ep 1, predictable story so far does it get better? 

The movies I didn't throw back after this month's torrent trawl. 

Worth a watch imho

Hotel Coolgardie 2016                   
The Devil All the Time 2020            
The Counterfeiters 2007              
Fernando Torres The Last Symbol   (tissues required)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, bubblegum said:

Just watched Ep 1, predictable story so far does it get better? 

I'm only on episode 3 now as wife started watching and wants to watch together. That's rare. Yes, it's getting better, but no real surprises, just well flowing story.

Edited by DrTuner

On 9/27/2020 at 12:01 AM, bobandyson said:

Watched that one a few times myself. Also I enjoyed Burt's last western...Cattle Annie and Little Britches.

Burt has obviously made lots of movies, another one that comes to mind is " The Train (1964)"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059825/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_5

In 1944, a German colonel loads a train with French art treasures to send to Germany. The Resistance must stop it without damaging the cargo

:thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TooBigToFit said:

Lovecraft country was good for the first episode but about half way through the second, it just got ridiculously confusion. Maybe the story worked in a book but on screen, I can't see it appealing to most people.

The book was good, but after the first episode they chucked the book out of the window, complete nonsense now.

14 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

well done will....your way ahead of me..........I think there are 2 episodes aren't there??............

Watched ep. 1 last night, a bit disappointing for me. It doesn't have the quirkiness of the first 3 series.

• Thanks 1

Real Stories: Kids behind bars 

All over the world more and more children are being incarcerated.

Some are victims, some are in the wrong place at the wrong time and some are repeat offenders who see crime as their only way to survive and many are left forgotten !

An interesting documentary from various countries showing how each tackles the rising number of juvenile delinquents.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Its a different story as they all are but I found episode 1 brilliant.

The 3 previous series all had an element of humour and quirkiness, I found ep. 1 of Season 4 pretty mundane, and of course they had to introduce the super smart black girl with mixed race (white and black) parents, something that would have been unusual to say the least in the 50's. Pretty sure this season must have had different writers.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

The 3 previous series all had an element of humour and quirkiness, I found ep. 1 of Season 4 pretty mundane, and of course they had to introduce the super smart black girl with mixed race (white and black) parents, something that would have been unusual to say the least in the 50's. Pretty sure this season must have had different writers.

Oh I get it. Another tired political objection. 

Dude. This series is roughly based on true stories.

Unusual is interesting.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Oh I get it. Another tired political objection. 

Dude. This series is roughly based on true stories.

Unusual is interesting.

I am getting pretty tired of the whole black thing being introduced at any given opportunity. Tell me. what particular "true" story is this season based on?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Warrior, whole series out on HBO Go.

Unbelievable tit-fest from 'Skinimax'

More naked Asian women than you'd find in Nana Plaza ......... and that was just in the first two episodes.

Downloading 1080p DDP5.1 now... :cool:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Tell me. what particular "true" story is this season based on?

The 1950's were notable for crime in Kansas City, the story follows crooks from various ethnic backgrounds although the timeline might be a little off for the blacks (quirky Fargo).