What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2020)

CharlieH

18 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

Agree he was thoroughly unlikeable, but that is the mark of a good actor, can play totally different roles and be believable. 

In the movie he looked just like that thread on here about him having put on weight with a beard and being unrecognizable. 

Wonder did he create that look for the movie or did he get the part because of the look :whistling:

Totally agree, and he is a very good actor, no doubt about it.

I read a review just recently and apparently he had to don a "fat suit" for that part in the movie, however having said that, it appears that he has put on a lot of weight anyway (something which he is prone to do).

And as a juxtaposition, I watched him in, "The Water Diviner" just last week and thought he was great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Watched the Russell Crowe movie "Unhinged" and if ever a movie made one hate a character, then this was it, because Crowe was thoroughly unlikeable, but overall I thought the movie was good.

Also watched "Untraceable" from a few years back, and that was very enjoyable.

I was just going to post about Unhinged.

A couple of weeks ago I watched "Alone", also a 2020 road rage movie (not to be confused with the 2020 horror movie of the same name), which I enjoyed. I have to say I didn't like "Unhinged" very much at all. While I agree that Russell Crowe's performance was superb in portraying a thoroughly unlikeable villain of the piece I found the character of the victim, Rachel Hunter (played by Caren Pistorius) to be too stupid to be believed throughout the movie. I'm quite happy to watch sci-fi or fantasy films but a thriller like this should, IMHO, have a thread of credibility to its plot, Unhinged lacked that credibility as far as I'm concerned.

Here's a review of "Alone", which references "Unhinged".....

"

Recently, I thoroughly trashed the Russell Crowe road-rage thriller Unhinged. It's poorly written, devoid of suspense, and incredibly mean-spirited. Alone is everything Unhinged should have been. Sure, it's a conventional thriller, but it's smart, suspenseful, and so scary and intense at times that it will rattle you.

Alone opens with the recently widowed Jessica (Jules Willcox) packing her stuff into a U-Haul and heading into the Pacific Northwest to start a new life. The first 30 minutes or so echo Steven Spielberg's Duel (1971) as Jessica is harassed on the road by a man (Marc Menchaca) in a jeep. Eventually, the driver of the jeep—a bespectacled, much-too-nice family-man type—kidnaps her, which leads to a cat-and-mouse foot chase through the wilderness. If the beginning of the movie is like Duel, the finale effectively borrows a few visual quotes from the John McTiernan/Arnold Schwarzenegger classic Predator from 1987.

Alone is a remake of the 2011 Swedish film Försvunnen, aka Gone, and is directed by John Hyams, son of filmmaker Peter Hyams (Capricorn One, 1986's Running Scared). Here, John Hyams really milks the tension by often having the camera creep around to see what is lurking in the background.

The two lead performances are terrific, too. Willcox plays up the vulnerability of the character as she is fighting for her life. Menchaca is a great villain. He makes the character's calm and cool demeanor come off as very chilling. This character is a terrifying version of the "Okily Dokily" neighbor Ned Flanders from The Simpsons, and it totally works."

https://whereyat.com/film-review-emalone/em

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2020 at 1:10 AM, bobandyson said:

The Queen's Gambit. - Netflix.

Quite enjoyed this one even though I'm not into chess.

Story seems good but the lead actress freaks me out. I'm afraid her eyeballs will pop out any second. Scary.

4 hours ago, xylophone said:

And as a juxtaposition, I watched him in, "The Water Diviner" just last week and thought he was great.

Yep!  :thumbsup:

juxtaposition  :w00t:   Had to Google....................

Edited by Daffy D
  • Like 1

Came across this the other day:-   Ross Kemp: Extreme World

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1843675/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

There's 6 Series from 2011 to 2017.

I have only watched E6 from S2 , About how gangs in Kenya roam round beating and burning alive anyone presumed to be a "Bad Witch". These gangs also grab anyone suitable, especially albinos, and hack off body parts, while still alive, to grind down their bones from the hacked off limbs to make magic potions.

If the rest of his programs are as strong as this one, don't know if I'll watch any more as it was rather upsetting. 

Raw, great and different viewpoints. As objective as one can be.

I absolutely love this series. Ross Kemp, British investigative journalist, always keeps an open mind and is respectful to the people he is interviewing. There are great episodes and it is very good.

The topics have a wide range; from upcoming far right movements in Asia to the illegal immigrants in the US, He shoots straight and tells it like it is.

This also entails certain dangers but still he manages to pull it off and give even the hardest criminal some humanity. How do they get to this point? Why do they do this? Are there part of their lives that made them like this?

He also interviews the other side as well and shows that we are all human. He creates some much needed objectivity in an otherwise very biased news world.

Conclusion: A must watch documentary ( all of Ross Kemp's documentaries are great and top notch) for all who want to have the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Available from Chaos and TPB 

• Like 1

Maybe this was mentioned before but here goes. 

The German Netflix series How to sell drugs online fast. Two seasons already. A third to come.

While I wouldn't rate this must see tv its about alot more than the title implies and its entertaining. 

• Like 1

Watching Oktoberfest - Beer & Blood now. I'm quite biased, having been on the Wiesn multiple times and enjoying hearing some Bayrisch, but it's a good series. If you like Warrior, give it a shot. Funnily enough I noticed in the credits the director is Finnish and I've met him a couple of times. Small world.

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2020 at 8:30 AM, Will27 said:

The Sister

This 4 part series one starts today also.

Summary: Almost a decade into his new devoted married life Nathan is rocked to the core when Bob, an unwelcome face from the past, turns up on his doorstep with shocking news, triggering a series of catastrophic decisions.

I’m half way through this ( 2 episodes of 4 available on ITV Hub, 3 & 4 available over the next two days ), nice little murder mystery with the usual twists and tension.

Watching on the ITV Hub , which means putting up with adverts, but hopefully will be available elsewhere soon.

Recommend !

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I’m half way through this ( 2 episodes of 4 available on ITV Hub, 3 & 4 available over the next two days ), nice little murder mystery with the usual twists and tension.

Watching on the ITV Hub , which means putting up with adverts, but hopefully will be available elsewhere soon.

Recommend !

An episodes a day is being uploaded onto the usual websites.

It didn't do it for me I'm affraid.

Been trying to d/l s01e07 of The Queen's Gambit.

I've posted a screenshot - with d/l source removed, that shows there is a 26/62 seeders/leechers ratio, but although it's been d/l for around 18 hours, it's stuck at 42.8%.

Tried deleting it & downloading again, but same problem.

Anyone got any idea what is going on?

IMG_20201029_053146.png

2 hours ago, faraday said:

I've posted a screenshot - with d/l source removed, that shows there is a 26/62 seeders/leechers ratio, but although it's been d/l for around 18 hours, it's stuck at 42.8%.

IMG_20201029_053146.png

Try a different source .

Available on RARBG and 1337x also TPB :smile:

When searching on TPB remove the  apostrophe from Queen's

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, faraday said:

IMG_20201029_053146.png

i got a link for the whole series from rarbg, i have just ticked to get e07 and is come down in about 2 hours, so far i have ep 1 and ep7, the others i will get if i like it after watching ep1, i got ep 7 to test it for you

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, faraday said:

Well, I never knew that Daffy....just tried it & e07 will finish d/l in a few minutes

You're welcome. 

Just for the fun  I just downloaded the whole of series 01 with subs  3.69 Gb from RARBG in under 10 minutes.

Guess I'll have to watch it now  :smile: 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, faraday said:

IMG_20201029_053146.png

Netflix is, I think, 350 baht or so per month. I for one can't be arsed to download torrents for that price.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1