What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2020)

CharlieH

1 minute ago, Will27 said:

I haven't seen Spooks so thought I'd give it a crack.

First series in 2002 and was was just too old to capture my interest.

It has got great reviews though.

Blooming heck, 18 years ago!

Might be worth a punt....:thumbsup:

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Opening a subtitle file with a text editor ain't gon' get you far.

There are times when you've got no choice but to bring out the heavy artillery:

https://www.nikse.dk/SubtitleEdit/

Shows the video and the audio waveform. Offers various ways to sync. If you ever want to create a subtitle file from scratch, it's the go-to. Bit of a learning curve but tutorials are around.

Just saying - a srt file is just a text file, with the text and the times that the subs appear.

Of course you can use your choice, or http://subworkshop.sourceforge.net and resync the subs.

Neither of which will do the poster any good, because he’s playing video from a remote server and overlaying text from his computer at the same time.

49 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Watched all the seasons of Breaking Bad again, followed by El Camino, a Breaking Bad movie, now I find I just can't get into any new series because nothing else compares. Looked for high rating series on IMDB and downloaded things like Sons of Anarchy, Weeds, GOT and Homicide-Life on the Streets, tried them all, but not a patch on BB. The series that I enjoy like Ray Donovan, Billions, Get Shorty, Dexter etc aren't producing any new episodes, which makes it a wasteland for me now. 

Try "The Looming Tower".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6474236

I assume you have already seen Chernobyl?

• Like 1

Just watched the Soul of America, doco based on the book by Jon Meacham, Pulitzer prize winning author.

I know a lot of folks have probably had their fill of politics just now but I think folks from all politic persuasions would benefit from viewing this.

33 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Watched all the seasons of Breaking Bad again, followed by El Camino, a Breaking Bad movie, now I find I just can't get into any new series because nothing else compares. Looked for high rating series on IMDB and downloaded things like Sons of Anarchy, Weeds, GOT and Homicide-Life on the Streets, tried them all, but not a patch on BB. The series that I enjoy like Ray Donovan, Billions, Get Shorty, Dexter etc aren't producing any new episodes, which makes it a wasteland for me now. 

Agreed. GOT was pretty good and I liked Westworld. 1st couple seasons of Better Call Saul were tolerable, then it went downhill (like so many series past the 2nd or 3rd season).

I'll try The Queen's Gambit soon, looks promising.

In the past few years since BrBa I've tolerated watching or re-watching the following series:

Twin Peaks Season 3

The Killing

The Event

Bloodline

Brideshead Revisited

Great Expectations (2011)

Bleak House (2005)

Our Mutual Friend (1998)

Lonesome Dove

Travelers

The Frankenstein Chronicles

Terminator - The Sarah Connor Chronicles

The Man In The High Castle

Brave New World

Laurel Canyon

Broken Trail

Poldark (the Thai gf likes this a lot), last season unwatchable

Some these require an addiction to SciFi. It's led me, a sufferer, to some worse guilty pleasures I daren't mention here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Agreed. GOT was pretty good and I liked Westworld. 1st couple seasons of Better Call Saul were tolerable, then it went downhill (like so many series past the 2nd or 3rd season).

Nope, couldn't get into GOP,  or better Call Saul, Westworld first season was OK, gave it a miss after that.

11 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I'll try The Queen's Gambit soon, looks promising.

In the past few years since BrBa I've tolerated watching or re-watching the following series:

Twin Peaks Season 3

The Killing

The Event

Bloodline

Brideshead Revisited

Great Expectations (2011)

Bleak House (2005)

Our Mutual Friend (1998)

Lonesome Dove

Travelers

The Frankenstein Chronicles

Terminator - The Sarah Connor Chronicles

The Man In The High Castle

Brave New World

Laurel Canyon

Broken Trail

Some these require an addiction to SciFi. It's led me, a sufferer, to some worse guilty pleasures I daren't mention here.

If you liked Twin Peaks, you should give the danish 1994 mini-TV series The Kingdom a try.

It was directed by Lars von Trier (already a 5-star reference), and it has a similar twisted horror and humor angle.

Maybe more accurate to describe it as a kind of a mix between Twin Peaks and the Office (the UK Ricky Gervais mockumentary).

• Thanks 1

The Murder of Sally Anne Bowman: 15 Years On---Ch 4 29/10

Looking back at the high-profile case of Sally Anne Bowman's murder in 2005, the 18-year-old woman who was attacked on the doorstep of her home in London. The programme reexamines the eventual arrest of Mark Dixie, who was finally found guilty of the crime and given life imprisonment three years after her death in 2008.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Informer 3838----Oz TV 2 episodes

With the madness around the gangland drug making & killings in Melbourne in the 80s/90s--Police managed to find their best informer. "Nicola Gobbo"

She was their best because she was also the (the Gangs) Top defense barrister.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Poldark's basically a soap opera w/ the usual tropes and comic book villains. It finally degenerated into pandering to PC. It has its moments, however; nor can one be too unhappy w/ some of the visuals. Amusing exchange in the 1st episode: Ross Poldark, British Army Officer, returns to Cornwall from the American War of Independence unannounced and very much battered, having been presumed dead:

Mrs Chynoweth: Do tell us, Ross, how we managed to lose the war!

Ross: By choosing the wrong side, ma'am.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Will27 said:

I haven't seen Spooks so thought I'd give it a crack.

First series in 2002 and was was just too old to capture my interest.

It has got great reviews though.

Edit* Thanks faraday, nice to get back to some recommendations.

I also drug it up from the depths, the early ones are very mediocre the writing is poor and plots are hardly believable.

They improve immensely as you get more up to date and are then quite OK

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

Just saying - a srt file is just a text file, with the text and the times that the subs appear.

Of course you can use your choice, or http://subworkshop.sourceforge.net and resync the subs.

Neither of which will do the poster any good, because he’s playing video from a remote server and overlaying text from his computer at the same time.

I know. Subtitle Workshop, however, doesn't show the waveform along with video, a critical disadvantage when compared with Subtitle Edit. It can be used in a number of ways and in general gives much finer control.

And it can indeed do the poster good if he pauses the video from the remote server, notes the times of the dialogue, and syncs his subtitle file accordingly. If he's lucky he can just set the start time and adjust all those following automatically. Trivial. Otherwise, he can, for example, enter several times and do a "point sync" that will adjust all the gaps dependent on the frame rate.

Then he saves the re-synced subtitle file and does his overlay thing. If he decides to download the video rather than streaming it, so much the better.

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

Tried many, not in the same league.

But they don't have to be in the same league, they're quality shows.

BB is your favourite, I get it, it's excellent.

But that doesn't mean there's nothing else out there that's really good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Will27 said:

But they don't have to be in the same league, they're quality shows.

BB is your favourite, I get it, it's excellent.

But that doesn't mean there's nothing else out there that's really good.

I've just finished watching BB again, and the problem is it sets the bar so high than everything else just seems ho hum. Give me enough time and I'll be able to tolerate the mediocre again.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I've just finished watching BB again, and the problem is it sets the bar so high than everything else just seems ho hum. Give me enough time and I'll be able to tolerate the mediocre again.

Up to you I guess, but I'd hardly call shows like Better Call Saul, The Bureau and Gomorrah mediocre.

Justified was really good.

Give that a crack if you haven't seen it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Will27 said:

The first few episodes were excellent, especially when Daniels cell neighbour was led away.

I think I'll watch it again in the coming months.

6 Feet Under was superb, with some fantastic dark humour

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Will27 said:

Up to you I guess, but I'd hardly call shows like Better Call Saul, The Bureau and Gomorrah mediocre.

Give that a crack if you haven't seen it.

In the grand scheme all those shows are bottom of the quality pile IMO. Gomorrah was good but went wayward and used too much of the same music.

BCS - way too slow.

Ozark was better but that even went a bit wayward.

True detective S1 was up there next to wire and sopranos but they could not get close with the last 2.

Mind hunter could have been good but way too much time in between and S2 was rushed and did not have enough going on IMO.

Lot of mediocre content around.

13 hours ago, faraday said:

The first few episodes were excellent, especially when Daniels cell neighbour was led away.

I think I'll watch it again in the coming months.

6 Feet Under was superb, with some fantastic dark humour

You've lost me mate.

Can you remind me?

Edited by Will27
  • Haha 1