What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2020)

CharlieH

It's an eye opening documentary about Venezuela. 

I've been there on a holiday, but not in any Favelas. This video is taken by a Russian, scary shi_e.

In one area 30 killed people per day? No country for old men, then. 

(57) Venezuela / Most Dangerous City on Planet / How People Live - YouTube

Edited by teacherclaire

Watched the movie Amundsen last night and it was on BBC iPlayer.

Didn't know a lot about the guy because when I was at school in the UK, everything focused Scott and his team trying to reach the South Pole and dying in doing so (as heroes of course).

That being the case, we really weren't taught anything about Amundsen, rather than to dismiss him as somebody who "stole the prize from us".

He was much cleverer in putting together his campaign to reach the South Pole, however one scene from the movie really hit me hard, and that was where he was attending the Royal Geographic Society dinner in honour of his achievements, which turned out to be hero worship of the fallen Scott, almost completely ignoring Amundsen and almost denigrating him in his choice of sleds and dogs rather than horses and machines as per Scott.

Anyway, it is a Norwegian produced movie, with parts in English and parts in Norwegian (with big English subtitles, so easy to read) and is excellent in my opinion, and not only that, furthered my knowledge of history.

• Like 1

And now for something a little bit different.

Sicilian mafia stories set in the 1970's that are dark comedies.

First the movie.

Then the two year (24 total episodes) t.v. series.

Same name.

The Mafia Only Kills in Summer

La mafia uccide solo d'estate

La mafia uccide solo d'estate (TV Series 2016–2018) - IMDb

So far I've only watched episode 1 of the t.v. series. I'm not totally sold yet but enough to watch episode 2.  The lead boy reminds me of the lead in The Wonder Years (American comedy drama series). 

• Thanks 2

BBC Four: Storyville, The Hijacker Who Vanished: The Mystery of DB Cooper

Available from RARBG or on youtube.

Summary: A mysterious fugitive, a hijacked airplane and a daring mid-air escape. This is the extraordinary, real-life tale of one of the greatest unsolved heists in American history and a case that has taunted the FBI for decades. This documentary brings the stories of the four possible suspects to life through candid testimony, archive footage and stylised drama. Each account is gripping and highly plausible. But who is telling the truth, who is lying and, ultimately, who is DB Cooper?

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, xylophone said:

hero worship of the fallen Scott, almost completely ignoring Amundsen and almost denigrating him in his choice of sleds and dogs rather than horses and machines as per Scott.

Spent 5 years in the High Arctic in the mid to late 70's. Still a few old timers who used dogs.

Asked one of them shortly after my arrival, and the purchase of my first Skidoo -

"Why don't you use a Skidoo"

Answer - "Can't eat a Skidoo" That put living up there in perspective

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Believed to be, no proof.

Covered up because of the embarrassment of him actually being a CIA pilot.      

Records ‘reveal’ dead CIA pilot was Cooper; FBI hid his release

A secret FBI “death file,” released by a judge this week, disclosed the identity of the outlaw who has been mythologized in film, TV and song. For 45 years he was on the FBI’s Most Wanted list, until, in 2016, the agency officially closed the unsolved case.

But the newly-uncovered FBI documents reveal its agents strongly believed their prime suspect was the former US Army pilot, paratrooper and explosives expert Rackstraw – and that he was also a CIA black-ops man.

https://dbcooper.com/2019/09/db-cooper-found-how-fbi-files-reveal-plane-hijacker-was-cia-operative-robert-w-rackstraw/

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Spent 5 years in the High Arctic in the mid to late 70's. Still a few old timers who used dogs.

Asked one of them shortly after my arrival, and the purchase of my first Skidoo -

"Why don't you use a Skidoo"

Answer - "Can't eat a Skidoo" That put living up there in perspective

Yes, and Amundsen had been studying the Inuit way and that was their philosophy, so he planned his expedition very carefully taking into consideration the fact that as they went further, they would use more provisions and the load would become lighter, so fewer dogs would be necessary – – – and could easily go into the cooking pot!

There's a scene in it where they have shot one of the dogs and have cooked it and one of the team is a bit reluctant to eat it, this whilst others are tucking into what looks like a nice meal, so Amundsen describes what happens if you suffer from scurvy, and it's not a pretty picture, so the team member does eventually eat it.

As I said before, it's a great movie and puts the attitude of the British towards Amundsen, to shame. But that's how it is taught in schools, or along those lines.

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Covered up because of the embarrassment of him actually being a CIA pilot.      

https://dbcooper.com/2019/09/db-cooper-found-how-fbi-files-reveal-plane-hijacker-was-cia-operative-robert-w-rackstraw/

Do a Google search, "who was DB Cooper?", there is not one definitive answer, only conjecture, as in the recent documentary. People love conspiracy theories.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

People love conspiracy theories.

What's hi-jacking a plane got to do with conspiracy theories? The facts are out there.

Then, in 2018, after successfully suing the FBI to release much of its now-closed file, Cold Case Team member Rick Sherwood, who'd served in an intelligence unit during the Vietnam War, decrypted code in letters Cooper had sent to media outlets after the skyjacking, in which he'd apparently given away his identity.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, xylophone said:

But that's how it is taught in schools, or along those lines.

I think the English fascination with keeping a "Stiff Upper Lip" finally was put to rest in WW1

and the subsequent years where the Upper Class lost their all encompassing grip on the rest of the population

14 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

What's hi-jacking a plane got to do with conspiracy theories? The facts are out there.

Long before the current true-crime television boom, a 1971 unsolved plane hijacking captivated America. Tom Colbert's journey to track down Cooper (and sell his story to Hollywood) led him to an elaborate theory of collusion involving the FBI and CIA.

• Like 2

On 11/25/2020 at 7:02 AM, Nemises said:

New TV series "The Flight Attendant"

About a hot, alcoholic hostie who likes to give "extra service" to her passengers up in first class - hence makes for entertaining viewing ???? ????

BKK features in the first Ep. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bobandyson said:

'Three Identical Strangers' - On Netflix and other sources.

Gave me a roller-coaster ride of emotions.

'Gave me a roller-coaster ride of emotions.'  I'd agree with that entirely. I watched it two years ago and remember it was a very unsettling documentary.

After the Night.

All 4 episodes on RARBG.

Summary: Throughout the 1960s Eric Edgar Cooke terrorised the city of Perth and its residents, cruelly and indiscriminately, as if for sport. Exploring a legacy of tragedy, grief, responsibility and redemption for the three men who were wrongly accused, Stan’s first ever true crime series is told through the eyes of a filmmaker returning to his childhood home and spending time with those closest to the killer and his victims – whose lives he altered forever.

• Like 2