What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2020)

CharlieH

Really can't find much new that's worth watching at the moment, so I watched one of my old favourites, "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid", with Bob Dylan, Chris Kristofferson and James Coburn, and although I've watched it a few times, something else (new) occurred to me this time round!

The first few frames show Pat Garrett being shot in a sort of ambush, and I always assumed that was because of his dealings with the cattle baron John Chisholm, or having fallen out with him/knowing too much about the killing of Billy the Kid. However a bit more research shows that Pat Garrett killed Billy the Kid in 1881 and was himself shot in 1908, so the two events don't seem to be linked.

Anyway, the version that I have is the original and I would dearly love to find a remastered copy before this one finally gives up the ghost.

Oh and nearly forgot, still love the Bob Dylan music in the film.

• Like 1

After denigrating Dark

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5753856/

I needed a SF fix so I'm getting into it. It's well done but slow w/ a Tolstoy-esque plethora of interacting, or interacted, characters. It'd be good to read up on who all these people are and even read a recap of an episode before watching. Apparently the 3rd season kinda goes off the rails, so I may not complete it.

And I watched Tales From The Loop:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8741290/

which is light, passable SF for you fans, nothing too exciting. Bit of Black Mirror on occasion, Stranger Things. Harks back to the earlier days of SF, think Ray Bradbury stories. See the art of Simon Stålenhags to understand the inspiration behind it.

Doesn't wrap things up, characters and story threads, just kinda stops. But OK--worked.   

On 12/10/2020 at 3:26 PM, sanuk711 said:

Accused Trial in the Outback-------On: Channel 5--8th December 2020

2 part Doco on the Lindy Chamberlain trial. Featuring contributions from the Chamberlain family and from their personal archives.

Sanuk 711, thank you for this. Watched it last night, brought back many memories and it was good to see / hear that life has been kind to Lindy and her family in later years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bobandyson said:

"Oh No! Surely not another theory on how the pyramids were made." I hear you cry.

????

But this new theory sounds good to me as well as ripping out a few pages of our ancient history books.

Couldn't find a decent trailer so here's the whole 3hr 40min youtube movie.

I want to hear an explanation as to how the stone boxes at the Serapeum of Saqqara were made.

On 12/12/2020 at 10:19 AM, giddyup said:

I want to hear an explanation as to how the stone boxes at the Serapeum of Saqqara were made.

Then check out the pyramid vid. It theorizes that the 2.5 million blocks were moulded in-situ and that molten granite was moulded to make blocks used to seal off passages. Other theories are that ancient Egyptians were negroid and that they sailed around the world using their building skills in South America, India, Cambodia and Easter Island. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bobandyson said:

Then check out the pyramid vid. It theorizes that the 2.5 million blocks were moulded in-situ and that molten granite was moulded to make blocks used to seal off passages. Other theories are that ancient Egyptians were negroid and that they sailed around the world using their building skills in South America, India, Cambodia and Easter Island. 

From what I understand from the real history is that the pyramid was a huge mistake.

The Pharoe on seeing it went ballistic and called the chief architect a stupid tw@t, he said

you've had the plan upside down, it was supposed to be an underground tomb so no-one

could find it.

• Confused 1

On 12/12/2020 at 12:38 AM, bobandyson said:

"Oh No! Surely not another theory on how the pyramids were made." I hear you cry.

????

But this new theory sounds good to me as well as ripping out a few pages of our ancient history books.

Absolutely brilliant. It really opened my eyes about how the pyramids were built. The history books are wrong. Thanks Bob for posting the video.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bobandyson said:

Not talking the pyramid blocks, but the stone boxes at Saqqara,but I suppose the same theory could apply.

Stone Box.jpg

Edited by giddyup

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

There is only one way they could have been made and the video confirms that.

You have to make a tank or mould big enough to take the stone block to soften it. What do you build the tank out of?  I suppose the stone softening idea is as good a guess as any.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 9:51 AM, BigStar said:

After denigrating Dark

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5753856/

I needed a SF fix so I'm getting into it. It's well done but slow w/ a Tolstoy-esque plethora of interacting, or interacted, characters. It'd be good to read up on who all these people are and even read a recap of an episode before watching. Apparently the 3rd season kinda goes off the rails, so I may not complete it.

And I watched Tales From The Loop:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8741290/

which is light, passable SF for you fans, nothing too exciting. Bit of Black Mirror on occasion, Stranger Things. Harks back to the earlier days of SF, think Ray Bradbury stories. See the art of Simon Stålenhags to understand the inspiration behind it.

Doesn't wrap things up, characters and story threads, just kinda stops. But OK--worked.   

Have you tried "Raised by Wolves" for your SF fix? get over the first boring 30 mins and its brilliant stuff

On 12/12/2020 at 12:38 AM, bobandyson said:

????

Many thanks for the movie and link and it really solves a problem for me.

Also watched a film with Colin Firth and Rachel Weisz called "The Mercy" about amateur sailor Donald Crowhurst trying to sail around the world. I do vaguely remember the occasion but the movie filled in the blanks for me, and IMO it was a good movie.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2020 at 9:09 AM, Will27 said:

No Man's Land 

Have not seen any of it but it's getting some good reviews.

Summary: A family grieves the death of their daughter in a suicide bombing. Meanwhile, her brother suspects
she is still alive after glimpsing her in a news report and sets off to find her in the Middle East.

Whole series available on RARBG.

I thought this was quite interesting - a couple of intertwined plots -  the end cut short but I’m sure there will be another series.