Chicken Madras recipe (British style)

SteveK

The above recipe is enough for a pack of two chicken breasts from Tesco Lotus. You can chuck the breasts in whole or chop them up however you like, I have tried both. I quite like using the whole breasts because the meat stays amazingly tender. Also I forgot to add that I like to add the juice of half a lime just before it's finished.

It took about 4-5 goes to get this to what I would call restaurant quality.

Edited by SteveK

3 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I like to add the juice of half a lime just before it's finished.

A citrus finish is, of course, an advanced technique to add that fresh zest to the final dish. If not done correctly, it can overpower subtle flavours.

All the more reason for you to make time to ensure that samples of all prepared foods are submitted to "Yezhovs Cooking Skills Evaluation and Tasting Service, Gmbh" before submitting the recipes to the public. Need my address? You are a cool dude so I wont charge you. Please make sure you make it for two as I have a whole subsection on leftovers, including Taste/flavour while eating right out of the fridge, subsection sober/drunk/stoned, versatility as breakfast, subsection normal/hungover.

Flabbergasted to find today that my local CP freshmart has got peppers in stock. Going to try and do a jalfrezi either later today or tomorrow, will post up a picture.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SteveK said:

The above recipe is enough for a pack of two chicken breasts from Tesco Lotus. You can chuck the breasts in whole or chop them up however you like, I have tried both. I quite like using the whole breasts because the meat stays amazingly tender. Also I forgot to add that I like to add the juice of half a lime just before it's finished.

It took about 4-5 goes to get this to what I would call restaurant quality.

Thanks, looks delicious.

Eating laab today and will give the curry a try tomorrow.

Edited by userabcd

UPDATE:

My goodies from zing street arrived today so I made the madras as above but added in some diced bell peppers, and a pinch of fenugreek leaves (kasoori methi) at the end. I think it's the best curry I have ever made. Definitely had that British Indian restaurant quality to it.

I know I said I would post a picture but forgot and ate it all.

I now have tandoori masala powder so will combine that with yogurt to marinade the meat overnight before cooking in the bbq and then chucking into the sauce.

If you want that perfect restaurant taste you have to marinade the meat, cook in a tandoor, and then create the curry using base gravy. Without all that hassle I think this is as good as I have come.

Edited by SteveK

MSG - No

I have been cooking BIR food for many years and its taken a long time to perfect favorite dishes found during my time in the UK. Balti was the most difficult.

Base gravy is an essential part of fast high heat BIR cooking with mixed powders and masalas.

The alternative is to follow the more time consuming traditional Indian cooking methods. Many example on the Tube and can produce delicious results.

All ingredients can be found in Thailand except a few special pastes and powders produced only in the UK.

Essential base gravy made in Thailand then frozen in two portion bags.

base.jpg.fdedff224b16b64d7e4c8f94a2113c9d.jpg

Final result finished off outside.

base2.jpg.93654ab73d8bd20e5fd40e9b771e7fb6.jpg

• Like 1

I have always shied away from using a base gravy recipe for several reasons. Firstly, I only cook myself a curry now and again and only cook a small portion for myself (wife and family won't touch Indian food with a bargepole). Second, it just adds an extra level of hassle and time consumption. Third, our freezer is always full so it would be hard to store several litres of gravy. Also, it would be a pain for me to blend up that much liquid and would probably have to buy a hand blender.

But I think my curries have gone as far as they can without it now, so it would be the next logical step. Thanks for the nice photos.

I think I have access to everything I need now for proper curries. Just need to clear out my freezer, buy a hand blender from Lazada and make the jump.

On 1/1/2020 at 5:46 PM, SteveK said:

Hi guys, I have been playing around with a Chicken Madras recipe from Latifs Inspired (really good channel by the way) and have pretty much got the recipe nailed down now.

It works....try chucking the chicken in after the onion/ginger-garlic phase....before the spices...just toss it around

for 5-10 minute still it browns slightly....then toss in the spice powders....for best results I'd puree the tomatoes in a small blending jar....makes a difference 

• 2 weeks later...