Rabbits in Isaan?

SteveK

Have spoken to my wife recently about maybe farming some rabbits. Cooked well they can be delicious, I am sure that the extended family would love them. But I can't source them for the life of me. Does anyone know where I can buy 20-30 rabbits?

I mentioned to the girls in my office that I used to eat rabbit in the UK.

They looked at me like I had just slit Hello Kitty's throat right there in front of them.

I think you may have a problem  getting around the cute factor.

14 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

They eat rats from the rice field.

But rabitts!!!! OH NO! :w00t:

Offer them a pot of goulash :cheesy:

DOG food!!!

Yes, it's easy to make fun of what different nationalities choose to eat, or not eat.  You could just as well have said

They eat little lambs from the sheep field.

But dogs!!!! OH NO!

Have you thought about getting some  at JJ weekend market in BKK the next time you're down? 

I know it'll be a hassle getting the critters back to Isaan, but might be you're only option. 

Also, there's a group on FB called "pets for sale Thailand" who might be able to help you. 

A very good friend of ours had a serious Wabbit Ranch out side Chiang Mai. He got his original breading stock from the Royal Research Center Chiang Mai University. His Bunny Ranch had a 1st class bunny condo/slaughter house/ cooler and freezer on site. At the peak he had about 3000 Wabbits. He had his product in 6 Rimping Supermarkets and 3 Tops in CNX. He also had a restaurant on the 118 that had Wabbit Stew. His excess product was sent to Bangkok where it was sold. Farang's and Thai do eat them but not so much Thais. 

I posted a question about this nearly 14 years ago, and you can read the responses there.  Basically, only the wild ones would be acceptable to most people to eat.  However, those are also illegal to hunt.

But, as long as they're not sitting there in fur on the kitchen table, I think people would get used to it.  When I took rabbits to Isaan, it was a box of 3 in the back of a taxi from Bangkok.  Just had to give them water on the 5 or whatever hour ride it was.  I would think you could find some in one of the larger cities if you asked around.  Some place where they had pets.  They did have rabbit food at a store in Chaiyaphum, and I doubt they were carrying that just just for the hell of it.  It was so long ago, I can't remember where we went, but I think it was like a feed store or farm store, and not a pet store.

One problem is they quickly died and I wasn't quite sure why.  The best I could make out from what my ex-gf said was they died due to dysentery of some sort.  This was pre-google translate so she could only describe what her father said happened to them.  They were pets for her brother and some neighbor kids.

Archived