Water shortages very soon?

ivor bigun

I rarely go up to Mapachan ,but the wife does to run very often ,this morning she dragged me along to see the lake ,must admit they have done a great job up there with the running and walking paths ,but of heck the Lake i could not believe my eyes ,i have seen it low before ,but most of it was bone dry ,how the hell are we going to cope in the coming months ,only thing i can say is ,thank goodness we have an underground tank and pump system .

are you worried ,never seen it so bad ,ever .

Edited by ivor bigun

14 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

are you worried ,never seen it so bad ,ever

Yes, I am. Not just the inconvenience of not having water, but the way I expect things to turn wrt corruption distributing whatever can be circulated. I don't see the Soapy MPs closing their doors, and how much do they wastefully consume? My Mrs is useless at conserving water, just doesn't enter into her mindset. And my bloody water tank popped it's bung the other day dumping 2500 litres all over the garden, so my skipping the odd flush was hopeless.

Yes I am too, this year could well be different because the water levels in the reservoirs are well below the minimum curve line for the first time in many years, useable water in the country's largest reservoir (by a long way) is less than 13%, nationally the useable levels are under 29%. 

Here's the link to the stats., click on any reservoir name (in blue) and see the graphs).

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_dam_1.php?lang=en

We put our money where our mouth is last year and commissioned a new well for the garden, at 15 metres the previous well was struggling by May so now the new well goes to 50 metres, the problem is everyone is doing similar, in a couple of years people will be drilling to a hundred metres I guess.

Edited by saengd
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Me to ,but take a trip out to Mapachan ,you will not believe it ,ive never seen it dry before ,always had water in it .

Was out there this morning walking my dogs, ive seen the water level a lot lower.

15 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Me to ,but take a trip out to Mapachan ,you will not believe it ,ive never seen it dry before ,always had water in it .

Guess I'm getting old but remember well it being dry, seems only a few years ago but thinking about it probably 12 years ago, believed after that they can fill from "Bangkok" as they put in a pipeline.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Maprachan is not the only water supply to Pattaya.

True, but other reservoirs are not better ????

Pics from Huai Chak Nok Reservoir last week :

49285770357_da3376ab4c_b.jpg

49285557536_8e32a0f3c3_b.jpg

49285082328_955f553570_b.jpg

Pics by forcebwithu on Pattaya-Addicts.com

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I don't see the Soapy MPs closing their doors, and how much do they wastefully consume?

Some years back? they did shut down all the soapies in Bangkok to conserve water!

As above the other decent sized Pattaya reservoir is not in good shape, hardly surpring with all the extra people and mainly industries that water in this area has to supply. https://thepattayanews.com/2020/01/02/banglamung-reservoir-at-critically-low-level-as-drought-sets-in/

Same every year though, I have been here over 30 years and never once heard them state that they have enough water for the dry season anywhere in the country!

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

If they are so worried and reporting possible shortages they need to shut down and ban the stupidest waste of water holiday in the world called:

Songkran..

yes ,i remember when Songkran was just the kids throwing a small amount of water ,now just plain stupidity .

9 hours ago, saengd said:

Yes I am too, this year could well be different because the water levels in the reservoirs are well below the minimum curve line for the first time in many years, useable water in the country's largest reservoir (by a long way) is less than 13%, nationally the useable levels are under 29%. 

Here's the link to the stats., click on any reservoir name (in blue) and see the graphs).

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_dam_1.php?lang=en

We put our money where our mouth is last year and commissioned a new well for the garden, at 15 metres the previous well was struggling by May so now the new well goes to 50 metres, the problem is everyone is doing similar, in a couple of years people will be drilling to a hundred metres I guess.

You are not concerned about soil salinity?

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You are not concerned about soil salinity?

I'm on the edge of the mountains in Chiang Mai, not really a problem for us, especially since the well is purely for irrigation purposes. Hydrogen sulphide however is a problem, the smell is overpowering.

6 minutes ago, Guderian said:

There was a big Pattaya CIty tanker truck spraying the roads with water here this morning, so City Hall evidently isn't too concerned about impending water shortages.

In City Hall we trust.  ????

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, oneton said:

Interesting information, but don't worry, The General's new slogan will be, "Peace, reconciliation, and water for all."  ????

6 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

From what i have heard over the years some parts of Pattaya including the dark side have regular water cut offs ,luckily where we are its so rare i can hardly remember the last one (that is except a couple of months ago when they were repairing a pipe down the road)

When the water trucks start "robbing Peter to pay Paul" so to speak, then eventually the whole city faces shut offs, until it runs out. 

5 hours ago, Leaver said:

When the water trucks start "robbing Peter to pay Paul" so to speak, then eventually the whole city faces shut offs, until it runs out. 

one good thing is we have an underground tank and a pump ,for when it runs out ,should last a few days .

On 1/22/2020 at 1:14 AM, bert bloggs said:

one good thing is we have an underground tank and a pump ,for when it runs out ,should last a few days .

I'm not quite sure you understand my point. 

When the water sources around Pattaya dry up, they will truck water in from alternative water sources, but those water sources was never intended to supply a city the size of Pattaya, so they also dry up.  Like I said, "robbing Peter to pay Paul." 

First will probably come water shut offs, in a shared pattern.  You will be fine when this happens, because you have a 3 day supply, and can top up when it's your turn for water.  However, when the water in the alternative water sources are depleted, the water simply stops flowing, for everyone.   You will have 3 days supply in storage, and then you will be in the same situation as everyone one else, that is, no water.

Just as too much water hit Thailand when the tsunami came, we are looking at not enough available water, possibly leading to no water at all here in Pattaya.  If / when that happens, you will see a mass exodus of tourists, and locals, just like when the tsunami hit, because the city will not be able to function. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

Just as too much water hit Thailand when the tsunami came, we are looking at not enough available water, possibly leading to no water at all here in Pattaya.  If / when that happens, you will see a mass exodus of tourists, and locals, just like when the tsunami hit, because the city will not be able to function. 

Will  I have people stealing from my pool with buckets?

22 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Will  I have people stealing from my pool with buckets?

Probably not.  You will come home one day and the pool will be empty.  Water stolen by a tanker, and probably sold back to you.   ????

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Probably not.  You will come home one day and the pool will be empty.  Water stolen by a tanker, and probably sold back to you.   ????

The guy who filled it last time robbed me!

Edited by jacko45k