Govt to expropriate 50,000 rai of land for infra developments

webfact

Govt to expropriate 50,000 rai of land for infra developments

By THE NATION

800_58c5534fe01ad21.jpg?v=1577963228

The government plans to expropriate up to 50,000 rai of mostly farm land for infrastructure development of the Eastern Economic Corridor and other parts of the country.

The projects include a high-speed rail system linking three international airports and a double-track railway between the northern and northeastern regions. 

The government has taken into consideration the impact of land expropriation on the livelihood of farmers. 

Development of the high-speed train project will start this year with a royal decree on land expropriation stating that the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) must hand over land to the bid winner Charoen Pokphand (CP) within ninety days before construction starts. 

The project will link three international airport (Don Mueang, Suvarnabhumi and U-tapao), stretching 200 kilometres in length between Bangkok, Samutprakarn, Chonburi, and Rayong. 

SRT had held a public hearing for people living on the land targeted for expropriation. It estimated that the project would need approximately 1,000 plots of land, compared to the 3,000 plots specified by the royal decree.

Total land area for this project is estimated at 4,300 rai, including 3,571 rai owned by SRT and 850 rai through expropriation. 

With regard to SRT's double-track railway project, land expropriation for the 678-kilometre tracks will start this year.

About 27,000 rai of land with 2,000 households will be affected by the project and it was reported that it had run into opposition from the residents.

In addition, the government plans to construct a motorway linking Nakhon Pathom province and Cha-am district of Phetchaburi province.

The Department of Highways has conducted a survey on the expropriation of farming area for the road project. 

However, residents in Phetchaburi generally view it as benefiting the investors. 

Besides, areas needed for his project includes a mangrove forest, which requires a Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA).

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380073

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-03

7 hours ago, bluesofa said:

From the way I'm reading it, I can't see any mention of the high speed railway to China.

Has this died a death now? It's supposed to be up and running between Bangkok and Nakhon Ratchasima by 2021.

Northeastern HSR Phase 1 Bangkok–Ayutthaya–SaraburiNakhon Ratchasima 250 250 China US$821 million 2023[6] Under construction

CR300AF-0003位于北京环形铁道.jpg

2 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:
Northeastern HSR Phase 1 Bangkok–Ayutthaya–SaraburiNakhon Ratchasima 250 250 China US$821 million 2023[6] Under construction

Thanks. I see the above is from wiki.

The quotes below are also from the same wiki article:

"Once built, China would operate and maintain the system for the first three years of operation. Between the third and the seventh years, both countries would share responsibility. Later Thailand would take on responsibility with China as adviser. China would train Thai personnel to operate and maintain the system.

Dual standard-gauge tracks would be laid throughout the project. In Thailand, two routes would diverge at a junction in Kaeng Khoi District in Saraburi Province."

That's an awful lot of 'would', but no 'will'.

"Construction of Thailand's 873-kilometre-long portion of the railway system started in December 2017"

I know various people have said there's land being built up somewhere near Korat for the railway. Then someone else said that was to do with a light railway/tram system in Korat, not the high speed railway.

The last thing I could find was Kaeng Khoi where the 3.5km test track was "under construction", but less than one kilometre of the track had been laid. AFAIK, that's the only track laid so far.

I'd been keen to hear from someone who knows definitely what's happening.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_rail_in_Thailand#Northeastern_HSR:_Bangkok_-_Nakhon_Ratchasima_-_Nong_Khai_(Sino-Thai_railway_project)

27 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Thanks. I see the above is from wiki.

The quotes below are also from the same wiki article:

"Once built, China would operate and maintain the system for the first three years of operation. Between the third and the seventh years, both countries would share responsibility. Later Thailand would take on responsibility with China as adviser. China would train Thai personnel to operate and maintain the system.

Dual standard-gauge tracks would be laid throughout the project. In Thailand, two routes would diverge at a junction in Kaeng Khoi District in Saraburi Province."

That's an awful lot of 'would', but no 'will'.

"Construction of Thailand's 873-kilometre-long portion of the railway system started in December 2017"

I know various people have said there's land being built up somewhere near Korat for the railway. Then someone else said that was to do with a light railway/tram system in Korat, not the high speed railway.

The last thing I could find was Kaeng Khoi where the 3.5km test track was "under construction", but less than one kilometre of the track had been laid. AFAIK, that's the only track laid so far.

I'd been keen to hear from someone who knows definitely what's happening.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-speed_rail_in_Thailand#Northeastern_HSR:_Bangkok_-_Nakhon_Ratchasima_-_Nong_Khai_(Sino-Thai_railway_project)

No land expropriation but you might get an upright in your garden and free shade for your house....555   

image.thumb.png.655e698991b06e2ef32d319a8ab85056.png

1 minute ago, SunsetT said:

No land expropriation but you might get an upright in your garden and free shade for your house....555   

image.thumb.png.655e698991b06e2ef32d319a8ab85056.png

A very nice photo. Where exactly is the location? Sorry to be pedantic, but this is definitely the China railway?

I'm the first to admit that I'm no engineer. From what I've read on Plan B for this railway, apparently it's likely to be more goods orientated than passengers. Is the above strong enough to support what I assume would be hundreds or perhaps even thousands of tons that would be on a freight train?

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

A very nice photo. Where exactly is the location? Sorry to be pedantic, but this is definitely the China railway?

I'm the first to admit that I'm no engineer. From what I've read on Plan B for this railway, apparently it's likely to be more goods orientated than passengers. Is the above strong enough to support what I assume would be hundreds or perhaps even thousands of tons that would be on a freight train?

No. I am only joking. I just chose the best photo to show the uprights. I think that this is actually in California, but I have seen very similar photos for the high speed passenger trains in China. I think the 'belt and road' goods trains would be on separate lines probably at ground level.

12 hours ago, webfact said:

it was reported that it had run into opposition from the residents.

Well too bad.

EEC was formulated along with dozens of other projects under Article 44 and incorporated into the 20-year national strategy plan that only the NCPO-appointed Senate can amend within the next five years. The junta RULES. The public SERVES.

12 hours ago, webfact said:

residents in Phetchaburi generally view it as benefiting the investors. 

Generally true.

Herein is the problem with using massive infrastructure investments as a stimulus for anti-recessionary fiscal policy.

Can Infrastructure Spending Really Stimulate the Economy? by Sean Ross, Jun 25, 2019:

• There is little evidence that public infrastructure projects are a "net positive" to the economy.
  • Since governments do not produce anything with a calculable market value because their revenues, or taxes, are independent of consumer valuations and therefore blind to any real economic feedback, there is almost no way to know if general infrastructure spending is the best use of resources, let alone any specific project for a road, bridge or highway.
  • It is far more likely that resources are put to more productive use if made through private voluntary transactions because of the effective feedback loop inherent to markets.

Will more infrastructure spending increase US growth? by Vinod Thomas, Tuesday, December 13, 2016

• The additional spending must squarely address growth-stunting gaps rather than just getting money out the door.
  • Growth is also held back by insufficient investment in education systems, health services, and environmental care.

The Prayut regime both before and after Prayut's election didn't seem to bother with any economic and social assessments on the EEC and other Article 44 projects until disruptive public protests began in response to what seems to be the government's haste to spend its infrastructure budget for FY 2020 that lagged for FY 2019 with little regard to those residents/farmers immediately affected. It would seem investors would benefit immediately with the "money rush" for quick economic returns while the public faces long-term recovery.

12 hours ago, bluesofa said:

From the way I'm reading it, I can't see any mention of the high speed railway to China.

Has this died a death now? It's supposed to be up and running between Bangkok and Nakhon Ratchasima by 2021.

Project is work in progress.

Feb. 17, 2019:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1084775-more-auctions-to-be-held-for-high-speed-rail-project/?utm_source=newsletter-20190217-0854&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

• the construction of the Klang Dong-Pang Asoke railtrack which is the first phase of the high-speed rail project is 50% complete while the second phase, the Sikhio-Kut Chik route, will see a contractor appointed some time in March.  
  • more auctions will be held this month and next, with 12 contracts up for grabs, amounting to 235 kilometers of high-speed railway to be constructed.  

Mar. 14, 2019:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1089367-thailands-first-high-speed-train-station-designs-point-to-the-future/?utm_source=newsletter-20190314-1241&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news 

• Station designs for four of the six stations on the proposed Bangkok to Nakorn Ratchasima have now been revealed.   
  • no indication when building work would begin

Nov. 18, 2019:

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/thailand-bullet-trains/index.html

• Thailand hopes to have bullet trains running by 2023.

There seems to have been some debate about whether cargo carriage will be part of the project:

My own guess is that service will initially be passenger only with the expectation that it would be a high speed service to test the technical limits of the system and cargo would follow later as a lower speed service when system proves reliable and safe to operate.  

Archived