Darwin award latest! Tax evading Italian with 500 million baht watch planned to fly out same day

webfact

On 1/3/2020 at 8:49 AM, webfact said:

The Darwin award is often mentioned regarding dumb lawbreakers.

No, it's not. It's only supposed to be used for people who kill themselves in stupid ways. The whole point of calling it the Darwin award is that they have removed themselves from the gene pool, which is not the case if all they've done is commit a crime.

9 hours ago, overherebc said:

Why is it if someone is wearing a super expensive super accurate ( to one second in a year ) watch and you ask what time is it? They answer nearly 5 to 3. and not 2 53 and 20 seconds before 3pm.???

Correct answer:  The little hand is on 3 and the big hand is near 11. 

On 1/3/2020 at 7:12 AM, Lacessit said:

My 6000 baht smartphone tells me the time just as well, and does a lot of other things besides. Why would one want to carry something on their wrist that would tempt any thug to cut their arm off?

I have a watch which I wear constantly (in bed as well!). It cost 400 sobs – around 15,000 baht.

It has two dials – one for “My Time” and the other for “Thai Time”, but because I sit in front of computers day and night, the time is always in my face – and instinctively convert it to Thailand time - I very rarely look at it to check the time.

But as a piece of jewellery, I think it is utterly exquisite.

On 1/3/2020 at 8:55 AM, ezzra said:

Bit far fetched and embellished of a story, as someone who knows watches and diamonds, for a watch to e worth that much it had to be one of the very few ultra rare one of encrusted with many one carat and over many D flawless grade diamonds...

Not far-fetched and not embellished, well-documented Jacob & Co watch priced at EUR18m. 

20 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Why was he really stopped and searched? Doesn’t make any sense. 

Way I see it, flight out same day of arrival, suspicions raised, passport control alerts customs, customs stops and searches ????‍♂️

Or we can follow the conspiracy theory and the intended recipient wanted it cheaper.

On 1/3/2020 at 2:12 PM, Lacessit said:

My 6000 baht smartphone tells me the time just as well, and does a lot of other things besides. Why would one want to carry something on their wrist that would tempt any thug to cut their arm off?

Thing is, your cheap phone has no investment value, the watch does.  And, apart from special occasions, no one would normally wear it where there were likely to be thugs, the insurers wouldn't allow it.

On 1/3/2020 at 7:40 PM, jackdd said:
On 1/3/2020 at 8:49 AM, webfact said:

But customs officials became suspicious because they didn't think he was a tourist.

Why?

Because he was in possession of a flight out the same day. They thought: Mmm....what tourist does that.

How would customs know when his flight out is just by seeing him?

This was obviously a tipoff

He was flying in.  They would have found out about his next flight when they questioned him!

On 1/4/2020 at 12:40 PM, overherebc said:

Why is it if someone is wearing a super expensive super accurate ( to one second in a year ) watch and you ask what time is it? They answer nearly 5 to 3. and not 2 53 and 20 seconds before 3pm.???

Why?  So that they don't sound stupid.

On 1/3/2020 at 9:26 AM, RichardColeman said:

Screams bunged 'tip off' to me

Agree.  It's not at all unusual for business people to arrive and depart same day from a place as close as Hong Kong.  Did it myself several times.

21 hours ago, overherebc said:

If a watch never actually works and another watch works but gains 1 minute a day which one is the better watch?

Depends what you want the watch for.  But I suppose you're meaning that the gaining watch never shows the correct time while the the non-working one shows the correct time twice a day, yes?

2 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Depends what you want the watch for.  But I suppose you're meaning that the gaining watch never shows the correct time while the the non-working one shows the correct time twice a day, yes?

Well that depends on whether the stopped watch is digital or analog.

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:
6 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Well that depends on whether the stopped watch is digital or analog.

Yes, the digital one will never show the wrong time!

Archived