Phuket facing worst tourism crisis in three decades - half of hotel rooms empty in 2020

webfact

7 hours ago, InevitableCost said:

This isn't a surprise you visit the rest of Thailand and love it but then probably never want to come back to Phuket after trying it once. Hotels are fairly priced and you can still get a cheap bite to eat if your savvy but its annoying if you have to dodge most places because the average cost for a meal is $10 here the taxi mafia is the number one thing that kills this place tourists dont often get to explore the entire city because transportation costs here are ridiculous so they stay near their hotel and spend less money because of it. If they fixed this one issue alone then all these tourists would suddenly be spending more money on all of the tourists attractions. The same zip lining and elephant experiences are also more expensive here then the rest of thailand.

Taxis have been a rip off since the 90s, so it has to be more than that. If people like the place, they'll put up with a lot, but when there is nothing to love, why go?

I used to go to Phi Phi from there, but when Phi Phi changed to tourist hell, I never went back there either.

Seems the Thais have gotten ruining nice beaches down to a fine art.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 3:21 PM, Olmate said:

Another inspired opinion! Amazes me the amount of comment from TV members re Phuket that have little knowledge, or genuine interest in the future of the place. Seems any post with Phuket in the heading is a red flag for the knockers!

Used to love Phuket in the early 90s, so don't accuse me of having little knowledge of the place. Would never go back to that rat hole again unless the entire holiday was free.

Went to Samui till that got ruined as well, then it was Phangan.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Used to love Phuket in the early 90s, so don't accuse me of having little knowledge of the place. Would never go back to that rat hole again unless the entire holiday was free.

Went to Samui till that got ruined as well, then it was Phangan.

You,be been everywhere man! All so long ago! What rathole are you exploring now? Perhaps time to change your username ! Love your comment about a free holiday....guess that sums up your last few replies on this thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Read it again!

He said he's been gone 9 years. I beat that by another decade as it has been a <deleted><deleted> for far more than 9 years.

Actually no.. Lived there 9 years.. been gone an equal amount I guess.. 

But yeah it took me a few years of indecision about where to end up.. I probably would have done better leaving 07 08 but inertia, mates, and a lot of choice between asia or back to southern europe.. I kind of had all my eggs in one basket back then.. Lucky for me I have re-engaged with working life and its given me both a toe hold in the west again (address, car, the ability to be on a plane in a couple of hours with just a carry on bag, and step off the other with a ready arranged full euro wardrobe, vehicle, banking, etc etc) and a healthy income for a light workload. Options feel good these days. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Taxis have been a rip off since the 90s, so it has to be more than that. If people like the place, they'll put up with a lot, but when there is nothing to love, why go?

I used to go to Phi Phi from there, but when Phi Phi changed to tourist hell, I never went back there either.

Seems the Thais have gotten ruining nice beaches down to a fine art.

Well said.. Though I would say 'ruined' is still debatable if you get away from the worst built up areas.. 

Its not just prices, its respect and value.. I will not be cheated, ripped off, spoken to rudely (merely for not needing the over priced thing they offer) etc etc etc.. Its that expectation and entitlement to your custom, that structure of cartels where free market is removed, that creates lazy, ill tempered, grudging service. Its far less the cost of it for me, than it is the attitude that comes with it. 

6 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Actually no.. Lived there 9 years.. been gone an equal amount I guess.. 

But yeah it took me a few years of indecision about where to end up.. I probably would have done better leaving 07 08 but inertia, mates, and a lot of choice between asia or back to southern europe.. I kind of had all my eggs in one basket back then.. Lucky for me I have re-engaged with working life and its given me both a toe hold in the west again (address, car, the ability to be on a plane in a couple of hours with just a carry on bag, and step off the other with a ready arranged full euro wardrobe, vehicle, banking, etc etc) and a healthy income for a light workload. Options feel good these days. 

That sounds to me like the perfect life . Well done 

Some years ago I went for a night out in Patong I got a local taxi from where I live didnt want to drive, walking down the beach road about 1am I know whats coming been here a long time if it's not the taxi drivers and tuk tuk drivers it's the <deleted> ladyboys it's like running the gauntlet, I asked a taxi how much to Nai Harn..........? 4000 Baht I was quoted I had paid 700 Baht to get there I'll pay a 1000 Baht at that time of the night, They just dont give it a rest

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

That sounds to me like the perfect life . Well done 

My wife would disagree.. ????

I wont deny there is a tug of war between responsibilities, home, dogs, western aging parents, etc etc etc.. But I dont see how any of those are not a compromise somehow, you just make more of a hard choice to renege on some of those being full time in one only. 

I am just finding that I really enjoy Europe in the summer, I dont mind work even if it has its ups and downs and tiring elements, running my own biz, making it multi mil turnover etc having a workforce I am responsible for, has a sense of purpose. I often wonder what europe so many die hard home hating expats see because its not the one I visit. Good wines, cheap quality clothes, cheap sportscars, a huge variety of entertainment options, festivals, music events, etc etc.. But I also love being 'home' with my dogs, chilling in the pool, exploring the mountains, day drinking with mates, etc. Just try to make and take the best of each. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

My wife would disagree.. ????

I wont deny there is a tug of war between responsibilities, home, dogs, western aging parents, etc etc etc.. But I dont see how any of those are not a compromise somehow, you just make more of a hard choice to renege on some of those being full time in one only. 

I am just finding that I really enjoy Europe in the summer, I dont mind work even if it has its ups and downs and tiring elements, running my own biz, making it multi mil turnover etc having a workforce I am responsible for, has a sense of purpose. I often wonder what europe so many die hard home hating expats see because its not the one I visit. Good wines, cheap quality clothes, cheap sportscars, a huge variety of entertainment options, festivals, music events, etc etc.. But I also love being 'home' with my dogs, chilling in the pool, exploring the mountains, day drinking with mates, etc. Just try to make and take the best of each. 

I’m the same I actually love Europe and have a decent work / life balance . I’m not quite at the age to have all my ducks in a row but that will come in time ! I couldn’t give up work or America /Europe completely as I love  the seasons , spending a slice of my life in Thailand is more then enough right now ???? best of luck to you though mate and keep up whatever makes you happy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

Legal and illegal (under 30 day rental) Air BnB probably cutting deeply into hotel profits. 

Not this year, I read airbnb is down to 35% occupancy rates booking.com 30% not breaking any world records this year

• Like 1

On 1/5/2020 at 9:21 AM, Olmate said:

Another inspired opinion! Amazes me the amount of comment from TV members re Phuket that have little knowledge, or genuine interest in the future of the place. Seems any post with Phuket in the heading is a red flag for the knockers!

Lived and owned a business there for ten years so I have a little knowledge. So glad I got out when I did

• Like 1

I think some of the locals wouldn't be too upset if the tourists disappeared.

I turned on the Marina Resort webcam this morning and watched a man on the rock at the south end of Karon Beach casting a net hoping to catch a few pla on the incoming tide.

With about 4 kms of beach to bath in, a tourist family, origin unclear, decided they needed to be in the very area in which the man was fishing:

xx.JPG

That ended his chances of catching breakfast:

bb.JPG

Edited by Old Croc
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I think some of the locals wouldn't be too upset if the tourists disappeared.

I turned on the Marina Resort webcam this morning and watched a man on the rock at the south end of Karon Beach casting a net hoping to catch a few pla on the incoming tide.

With about 4 kms of beach to bath in, a tourist family, origin unclear, decided they needed to be in the very area in which the man was fishing:

xx.JPG

That ended his chances of catching breakfast:

bb.JPG

Did they have a beer in their hand? Russian my guess!

On 1/3/2020 at 11:17 AM, chrisandsu said:

1st world prices for 3 rd world customer service never works ! How can anyone justify a 350 baht coffee when they are probably only paying the staff 3-400 baht a day . 

The outlandish price was for two drinks.  By the way Coffee Club is Australian owned. Good coffee but price over the top. Same Starbucks—American but mediocre coffee also over priced. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 3:21 AM, Olmate said:

Why is he shocked,didn’t,t he check prior?whats he expecting?where is he from? Maybe he is from third world!

Perhaps he was from the third world and didn,t expect to pay 1st world prices in a fellow 3'rd  world dump.

Edited by kingdong
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 11:07 AM, gaikhao said:

There is nothing wrong with a strong baht. Yes, one sector may suffer, but other sectors will prosper, and in the grand scheme of things it is a wash, usually with an overall benefit to the economy.  Blaming the baht is a means of avoiding responsibility. Why not be honest and recognize the fact that the product offered is  poor and of decreasing quality?

Customers will gladly pay for quality. Look at other locations like Hua Hin which is booming. Intercontinental is putting up its luxurious residence project, and there is growth in premium venues. All this done without an airport, without good transport links and with a high baht. The difference is that one emphasizes quality  and the other does not. We just had annual meetings in Hua Hin and I came away impressed. I left previous annual events in Phuket and Pattaya disgusted. 

The Phuket ripoffs start the minute you walk out the door at the airport with the  inflated taxi fare to Karon/Kata/Rawai/Patong. 1500 baht to get to Karon? Seriously? 1000 baht to patong? That's more than the airfare  from  DMK for some.

Everything in the tourist areas of Phuket says rip off and disrespect. Whether it is the poor quality service or the contempt shown by the locals, it is insulting.  The last time I was in Phuket, raw sewage was still going into Patong beach and karon Beach had black water events. We had a brown out at the hotel, and there was a water shortage. I recall, not being able to walk on Patong beach because much of the space was  taken over by paraglide operators. Jetskis were everywhere. It seemed there were 100+ and of course one could see the usual rip off of jet ski users with alleged damage claims.

My driver could not stop to pick us up from a restaurant because the illegal  bike and car rentals had seized all the legal parking spaces, all done in close proximity to the Patong police box. Meanwhile the  tuk tuks were demanding 400-500 baht to go from Patong to Karon.  I could go on, but what's the point? Until this nonsense changes, no quality visitor will want to go. 

So go ahead and blame the  strong baht, but it didn't cause people to be so dishonest and disrespectful.

Agree totally, it all about greed, greed and more greed, it starts at the airport on arrival and ends at the airport on departure, e.g. son came up from Aus to play golf for a few days with me prior to a company business conference he was attending, meet him at Suvarnabhumi airport, carrying one small pull handle luggage bag and a soft case travel golf club bag containing clubs.  100 Baht for golf clubs and of course the 50 baht airport pickup service charge, so fare to home was 200 Baht meter + 50 Baht airport charge + 100 Baht golf clubs + 60 Baht in tolls.....410 Baht...... same luggage from my home to the airport on his return journey, 20 Baht Grab booking fee + 60 Baht tolls + 190 Baht meter....270 Baht, don't mind taxi drivers making a living but where's the parity in these charges.    PS. My wife (Thai) bitched all the way home to the taxi driver about the 100 Baht for the golf clubs, he politely pulled out the the Transport Ministry's taxi luggage charge sheet and kept pointing to it, saying sorry. 5555555

Transport Ministry succumbs to increase in luggage charges for airport taxis

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, berrec said:

Agree totally, it all about greed, greed and more greed, it starts at the airport on arrival and ends at the airport on departure, e.g. son came up from Aus to play golf for a few days with me prior to a company business conference he was attending, meet him at Suvarnabhumi airport, carrying one small pull handle luggage bag and a soft case travel golf club bag containing clubs.  100 Baht for golf clubs and of course the 50 baht airport pickup service charge, so fare to home was 200 Baht meter + 50 Baht airport charge + 100 Baht golf clubs + 60 Baht in tolls.....410 Baht...... same luggage from my home to the airport on his return journey, 20 Baht Grab booking fee + 60 Baht tolls + 190 Baht meter....270 Baht, don't mind taxi drivers making a living but where's the parity in these charges.    PS. My wife (Thai) bitched all the way home to the taxi driver about the 100 Baht for the golf clubs, he politely pulled out the the Transport Ministry's taxi luggage charge sheet and kept pointing to it, saying sorry. 5555555

Transport Ministry succumbs to increase in luggage charges for airport taxis

Your joking right.?

On 1/3/2020 at 10:16 AM, chrisandsu said:

As I said on another thread my brother is a first time visitor to Thailand and Phuket and he is shocked at how expensive the place is .

Everything is creeping up unnoticed. An item which i normally pay Bht 40 for i notice is now Bht 48 at Big C.