Phuket facing worst tourism crisis in three decades - half of hotel rooms empty in 2020

webfact

Taken 10 minutes ago at one end of Karon Beach.

I wonder where all these people are staying, or how they could afford the ride from the airport (perhaps on the Smart Bus for 170 baht?), no sewage in the ocean (canals not flowing?) and many seem to manage actually sitting on the beach without needing beds.

11 Jan 2020.JPG

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Taken 10 minutes ago at one end of Karon Beach.

I wonder where all these people are staying, or how they could afford the ride from the airport (perhaps on the Smart Bus for 170 baht?), no sewage in the ocean (canals not flowing?) and many seem to manage actually sitting on the beach without needing beds.

11 Jan 2020.JPG

Karon Beach has been packed full of Russians since early November. I'm guessing that they are mostly on package tours in the medium level hotels. Its odd that the streets seem much quieter than usual but the beach is the busiest I've ever seen it.

On 1/10/2020 at 2:41 AM, kingdong said:

Why?do you have trouble pulling a bird?

I don't believe I've ever 'pulled a bird' anywhere in the world that wasn't thinking of financial gain.

A couple of free ones when I was about 17, but after that it always cost me.

Back to the GeorgeCross post, AirBnB 26% booked for this week = 74% of rooms vacant.

In peak season an absolute disaster.

On 1/8/2020 at 3:25 PM, stevenl said:

This post makes no sense at all, with all Phuket businesses wanting more Europeans.

They should create something that better than trash Euros want to go to then. They've probably, like Pattaya been doing nothing to make it a more inviting destination. If tourism is down it's their own fault for allowing things like the taxi mafia to exist.

Any downturn in tourism is down to Thais killing the golden goose by being too greedy. Self inflicted injury.

On 1/12/2020 at 4:54 PM, madmitch said:

Karon Beach has been packed full of Russians since early November. I'm guessing that they are mostly on package tours in the medium level hotels. Its odd that the streets seem much quieter than usual but the beach is the busiest I've ever seen it.

Bit different to Karon in the 90s.

Absolutely no way I'd ever go to a beach that packed.

On 1/12/2020 at 8:23 PM, BritManToo said:

I don't believe I've ever 'pulled a bird' anywhere in the world that wasn't thinking of financial gain.

A couple of free ones when I was about 17, but after that it always cost me.

Back to the GeorgeCross post, AirBnB 26% booked for this week = 74% of rooms vacant.

In peak season an absolute disaster.

It's going to take a bigger disaster than this to make the Thais admit they got it wrong and do something about it. Perhaps one is yet to come.

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's going to take a bigger disaster than this to make the Thais admit they got it wrong and do something about it. Perhaps one is yet to come.

It's in the post,you can only blow a balloon up so far before it exploded in your face.

On 1/3/2020 at 1:49 PM, laocowboy2 said:

Same period for me but not just the taxis. Overpriced, inferior hotels. Overpriced restaurants with average food, filthy beaches etc etc. I still holiday in Thailand several times a year but not in Phuket - and regularly tell other not to either. So sad - when I first visited in 1978 I though #t that I had found paradise.

Could you describe what it was like here in 1978 (I wasn't born for another 10 years). How was it different, infrastructure, local attitudes, police, rules etc...?