Phuket facing worst tourism crisis in three decades - half of hotel rooms empty in 2020

webfact

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

I've been saying for years that hotel nights are a much better indicator of tourism health rather than the arrival figures upon which TAT and the Tourism Ministry are always quoting.

I think you miss out AirBnb nights. maybe people are not keen on hotels anymore.

Greed has so much to do with this. I haven’t been for probably 7 or 8 years and even then for me it was overcrowded and overpriced where even the most “local style” restaurants were stupidly expensive. Thai friends have said similar things after they’ve been.

Add to this the fact that there are newer and considerably cheaper options in other countries I think it’s fair to say that Phuket has had its day.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, madmitch said:

I've been saying for years that hotel nights are a much better indicator of tourism health rather than the arrival figures upon which TAT and the Tourism Ministry are always quoting.

Does that include air bnb? Nope ! Thats where the other 50% are , who in their right mind would stay in 40 year old 15sqm rooms when a modern condo is the same price?. Just one example is the hotels ALL charge 5 k for special new year mandatory asian buffet with lots of rice and really worth 200 baht ..not on air bnb they dont. And the long running scams of substituting stained sheets and then demanding 3k. Hoteliers desrve this..you reap what you sow

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

They said that tourism on the holiday island needed a "big injection" - and the private sector was demanding action from the government in delivering the medicine. 

Minister Pipat has a very effective medicine, dream of new positive numbers and publish them!

• Like 1

(1) Taxi / Tuk Tuk Mafia - Insane pricing
(2) Strong Baht
(3) Hotel over supply
(4) Better options elsewhere
(5) A "been there, done that" tourist mentality
(6) The sense that a "special type of tourist" has taken over the island (Russians)
What could possibly go wrong?

29 minutes ago, StefanBBK said:

44 billion Baht divided by 14 million tourist is how much? Computer insists that is 3,143 Baht.  Did I read the report wrong? 

TAT never shows their formula for visits but I can guess it includes cross border shopping, day trips to the city, special events and more.... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

Precisely what Boracay is doing.  And Vietnam will suck up the midrange market.  Just wait until Myamar delelops more losses for Thailand. Why? Greed, lack of regulation and believing that China and India and mass cheap tourism were the answer but this is what happens when the guys at the top get huge payoffs for the Chinese tour operators.

Myamar = Thailand in 1975 ... If I were younger, i would be up there buying a beach!

By now, most potential tourists from North America and Europe and Australia have heard about the strong Baht.  Why bother with an overpriced Asian destination—when your vacation money can go further elsewhere?  

Expect more of the same numbers onward.

• Like 1

But the Russians are coming then the Chinese are coming then the rich Indians are coming then the Chinese are coming again?

Ruthless, aggressive Immigration for coming too many times, less than perfect Police and a sky high Baht are some of the problems.

A lot of coming but no one arrives.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well if it is not the Baht exchange rate causing this ..... then what other reason could their be? Land of smiles is loosing its smile? Neah it must be the Baht exchange rate. How long will it take for them to do something about it or keep denying it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1