Phuket facing worst tourism crisis in three decades - half of hotel rooms empty in 2020

webfact

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yes, mate of mine had a long black and a frappe juice at Coffee club for 352 baht, I said that's more expensive than in Double Bay Sydney, an affluent suburb in Sydney's eastern suburbs, he said, yep, this place has done it's dash for all the years he had been coming.

He did say that Bangla Road was busy in the evening though, but most people were on the street and not in the bars, hmmmm, could be that the drinks are it's too expensive....lol

I  used to likegoing to Phuket, but last visit, even bought complaints from my Thai friend.. She said the restaurants are very expensive and food not good Thai food. 

I haven't returned for about 4 years. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, ian007 said:

Worst tourism crisis in 3 decades? What about 15 years ago the tsunami... there were almost no tourists in Phuket for a good 2 years. Has this been forgotten?

It affected tourism in the aftermath, but the next low and high season were close to normal again.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, nausea said:

Yeah, karma kicks in, 10 years ago it was still pretty good, then something went wrong, <deleted>ty attitudes from the locals turned me off. The strength of the baht means little, you can always lower your prices, it's an excuse disguising a bigger underlying problem. I did meet my SO there though, so I can't complain too much, like a lot of the "locals" she came from another province, running away from problems at home, like shooting a guy who beat her up. Ha! But there you have it in a nutshell, Phuket is full of guys and gals like her.

Whats a SO? is that supposed to be a H ?

Edited by blackcab
Bold font removed. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording

5 hours ago, madmitch said:

I've been saying for years that hotel nights are a much better indicator of tourism health rather than the arrival figures upon which TAT and the Tourism Ministry are always quoting.

They are not as AIRbnb has become very big now.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

As I said on another thread my brother is a first time visitor to Thailand and Phuket and he is shocked at how expensive the place is .

And the Thai bar/restaurant owners keep jacking up the prices to milk the last tourist.... they just don't know how to be competitive in a free market.

The high baht is the final straw in driving away a tired, worn-out theme.

Punters are finding better deals elsewhere and voting with their feet.

• Like 2

If the baht is too strong then why don’t they lower prices to accommodate for the strength? For the consumers perspective, lower prices is always satisfactory. Besides, is there any other reason why hotels are unoccupied, could it be that consumers for some reason don’t like their services? Or simply oversupply? 

Yes I know the baht has its issues but every downturn means the market needs to phase out the bad and let the good survive. I kept reading the article but couldn’t find any solution they wanted from government intervention, are they hinting a bailout? This ain’t Lehman brothers..

Lastly, Phuket isn’t a popular destination anymore - live with it!

Edited by racket

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

The cure is going to be very painful and largely needs to come at grass roots level. The whole basis of a market economy is about supply and demand. When demand is low you need to reduce prices, especially when the local currency is strong. Of course, lowering prices is anathema to Thais, who normally just keep putting them up, thus further driving away customers. Then of course we get into the realms of the rip offs and treating your customers like dirt, none of which leads to repeat business, but a fast few baht now has always been more appealing here than taking a long term view.

Well said mate!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

I spent an hour today trying to do my 90 day report online. Downloaded and installed various browsers, tried the android app - all to no avail. So frustrating. Now it's a 3 hour round trip to the office.

It’s painful reasons such as your experiences and worse than that, in addition to all the other hell like immigration antics that make water boarding better than immigration...many expats are fed up.  So sorry to hear what you had to endure, I’m seriously looking at a path of less resistance by considering other Asian countries.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

As I said on another thread my brother is a first time visitor to Thailand and Phuket and he is shocked at how expensive the place is .

Already around the year 2000 at the turn of the century, everything in Phuket was already very expensive, especially food at the food stalls. Thais don't know how to adapt. If their income dwindles with fewer and fewer tourist arrivals, they increase their prices. What a logic!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rembody said:

Would help if they could get rid of the taxi mafia, and make it more affordable to get around

Nobody has to use the taxi mafia, you only use them if you are stupid.

ALWAYS ask for taxi meter and if they will not use it, go to the next one.

I have never had to ask more than 3 drivers no matter where I am.

If you ask for a taxi at your hotel tell them you want taxi meter not taxi mafia, they all know what you mean.

If you get a taxi at the airport go up to the departure level and get a meter cab across the road, that way you avoid the rip off mafia quoted price and additional charge heaped on you downstairs. ( talking about swampy )

And before the idiot brigade jump in and say I am a cheap Charlie, I am not, I simply do not take kindly to being ripped off so I take as much action as possible against it.

Example > taxi meter,swampy to Soi 11 Sukhumvit 253 baht plus 75baht highway.

same journey quoted by the mafia 600 Baht minimum plus what ever they can get away with for the highway.

Downstairs 450baht plus 50 baht loading plus highway. And they try to charge more for extra suitcases.

These prices were quoted to me as of October 2019

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Observed since last year in my neighborhood ... 

One <deleted>/Rusky/Quality-Tourist get the room in condo opposite hotel. Five others follow after dark.

So condo is much cheaper than hotel ... isn't it ????

That is the problem of/for the hotels now. 

For residents in condo too ☹️

Edited by CH1961
censored, had to change name of quality tourist
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, racket said:

If the baht is too strong then why don’t they lower prices to accolade for the strength? For the consumers perspective, lower prices is always satisfactory. Besides, is there any other reason why hotels are unoccupied, could it be that consumers for some reason don’t like their services? Or simply oversupply? 

Yes I know the baht has its issues but every downturn means the market needs to phase out the bad and let the good survive. I kept reading the article but couldn’t find any solution they wanted from government intervention, are they hinting a bailout? This ain’t Lehman brothers..

They should devalue the baht by say 10--15% Vietnam did it it worked well China has done it, Even England did it under Harold wilson, is not an Einstein thing

We were just in Phuket at the nosebleed time period between Xmas and New Years for a dive trip (when kids out of Int'l school).  About 3 weeks before leaving CM there was hardly a room for rent for Phuket on Agoda and those that were at crazy prices.  We snagged a place in Kata (never stayed in Kata before) about 1.5 weeks before our trip for a very reasonable price (and was not full the whole time we were there).  As it got about 1 week before leaving, we were seeing a sudden explosion of places available all over Phuket on Agoda, many at under 1/2 price from what they were just a week or so earlier.  Some restaurants in Kata were VERY dead and some very busy but not completely packed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, peter14 said:

Visa is a big issue.. more thai embassy make it difficult  less people.  Am happy I  malysia amd feel welcome

No its not. They nearly all visa exempt however your an expat in the land of the muzzies. Try to keep up !

• Confused 2

Reasons it's down. 1. Thai baht too high. 2. Jumping through visa hoops especially for longer term tourists 3. Filthy streets and strewn stinking garbage. 4. Dangerous ankle breaking sidewalks. 4. The open sewer they call the Ocean. 5. The bent coppers. 6 The rip off vendors. 7. The racist Thai population they're so superior to every other race on the planet, in their eyes anyway. The list is endless but don't worry the tourists numbers are up. And if need be we will double our prices. The place is washed up what goes around comes around hooray.

• Like 2

I get very confused on minute record highs next world coming too an end 

Next 39 million visitors world record

Next doom gloom blame is on high bht

Nothing to do with the rules that must be followed

People not coming because of rules and regulations too

• Like 1

So ... where do those 39 million visitors go disappear ? Shouldn’t Pattaya and Phuket hotels be chock’o’block full of Indians, Ruskies, Chinese, and whoever else comes in LOSex.. ? I know ..Indians sleep 6 in a room, Russians don’t sleep anywhere else than on the beaches and in the bars. Chinese .. not sure where they stay. 

Oh well, like my Thai gf likes to say « nevermind » !