Phuket facing worst tourism crisis in three decades - half of hotel rooms empty in 2020

webfact

Haha exactly how western people forecast and we don't listen to fake figures I saw it a year and a half ago getting emptier and emptier. Now I chose to spend my money in other Asian countries where I get welcomed not scowled at on entry and asked what I'm doing here time and time again glad I'm not going there as only the rich benefit in Thailand not the working people. 

35 minutes ago, legendcat said:

The hotel industry is facing a big  Challenge from airb&b and other condos rental. I.am not sure why the hotels do not put up a fight about this.

The Hotel Association is always complaining to the Govt about short term rentals instead of fixing and cleaning up their own backyard

• Like 2

8 hours ago, keith101 said:

And the powers to be decided to leave the rate at 1.25% allowing the strong baht to stay where it is . Thai like to just wait instead of actually doing something positive because its in their nature to be lazy not active and this goes for my wife as well .

and that males 2.... you are not alone with lazy wife, maybe laziness is in their DNA 555

it's not only  Phuket that has an oversupply of hotels, the same problem all over any beach area and this is mainly due to poor local government management, they see the easy money for new construction, red/brown envelopes and have no clue as to supply and demand is. Have been going around Krabi area for suite some time and in the last 3 years hotels supply have double or triplicated, spoke with of my friends who manages an (very) expensive local well know hotel and he said the majority of the hotel have a 30-40% occupancy rate, all offering last minute High Season deals and 3 more under construction.... that's great scheduling from the local wishful thinking government

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Which metered taxies in Phuket are you talking about?

OMG.  Nail ... meet hammer!  PERFECTION!  Thank You!!! 555

That guy has n-e-v-e-r been to Phuket! 

1 hour ago, legendcat said:

The hotel industry is facing a big  Challenge from airb&b and other condos rental. I.am not sure why the hotels do not put up a fight about this.

Great idea remove the cheap option and drive away those tourists as well. Even more room in the already empty bars and restaurants. How attractive an expensive ghost town. That will pull in millions of high rollers. Thainess at its best. 

While their at it, ban Baht buses and  bike rentals, force everyone (thats left) to use taxis.

Edited by chang1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been going twice a year to Patong since 2010 and this decline has been coming since 2017. I last went over in August and I will not be returning. 

I`m going up north next week to Buri Ram and Sukhotai to catching up with my friends, I once caught up with in Phuket. 

Value for money has gone and so has the falangs haha 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThomasThBKK said:

plenty of nice beaches there, vietnam isn't exactly paradise either, starfish beach on phu quoc has no more starfishes as those low lifes killed them all to sell them dried to tourists.. communism at work...

That isn't the reason for phukets "decline", its simply massively overbuilt in terms of hotels and too expensive, doesn't take sherlock holmes to notice.

How on earth does communism fit in with killing star fishes?

Did they send them to the gulag and work them to death in the mines?

7 minutes ago, Traubert said:

How on earth does communism fit in with killing star fishes?

Did they send them to the gulag and work them to death in the mines?

poor <deleted>hole, they do everything to survive, nothing long term.

Every  communist country that ever existed was a <deleted>hole country.

9 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

poor <deleted>hole, they do everything to survive, nothing long term.

Every  communist country that ever existed was a <deleted>hole country.

You've never been in one, obviously.

China had 100m tourists last year. Listen to all the noise about Vietnam, Cuba does ok on tourism too even if the Yanks want to strangle it.

Phuket business people should be just fine. They've been fleecing the public for decades and must surely have oodles of cash stashed away for these inevitable rainy days when they've finally priced themselves beyond what's competitive. They can just enjoy the down time and treat it as that nice long vacation they deserve for all their hard work over many years, digging as deep into tourist's pockets as they can. That's got to be hard work, so let them slack off for a few years to catch up on sleep and soap operas.  It will be very sanook for them!!!  ????

But of course, that could all be foiled next week when TAT announces that tourism numbers are way up over previous years. 

Edited by Inn Between