Video: Boy knocked down by car in housing estate - driver hands over 500 baht and leaves

webfact

Video: Boy knocked down by car in housing estate - driver hands over 500 baht and leaves

7pm.jpg

Thai caption: So who's in the wrong?

Sanook said that Thai netizens were commenting in droves after footage of a little boy being knocked down in a housing estate was posted on the internet. 

The poster was a relative of the boy. The boy was left with a cut lip and a leg injury. 

The car was being driven by a woman with a woman passenger. After the boy was knocked down they got out and the boy was given 500 baht. 

They then drove off. 

But after it was caught on CCTV the driver was confronted and agreed to pay compensation and hospital bills. The relative was still unhappy with this, however, posting that the woman should have owned up fully to what she had done in the first place. 

Netizens mostly railed at the driver wondering how she had failed to see the kid. 

But they also pointed the finger of blame at the boy's parents for not looking after him properly. 

The family subsequently came up with some convoluted excuses about a demanding infant needing milk formula thus distracting the person who should have been taking care of the boy. 

In the footage the boy seemed to have been larking about with others on a motorcycle, notes Thaivisa. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-03

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

How in the hell did the woman driving the car NOT see him? 

Ever been a passenger in a car with two, or more women? hahaha

BTW. What's up with the 'hospital bills'? should be 30 baht if they're Thai.

If this was in my soi the driver would expect the boy to move to one side, by the time it became clear he would not as he was too preoccupied it was too late to stop. There is a button in the middle of the steering wheel that usually solves this problem. 

1 hour ago, Just1Voice said:

surfing facebook - putting on makeup - taking a selfie - watching TV, take your pick

notice they don't show her getting out of the car with phone in hand

5 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Surely kids are able to play outside their houses without fear of being mowed down by some  mindless airhead

I ran out in front of a car outside my house back in the late 60's

similar impact and result, except I didn't get any money , but 

I did get a clout from my old man.

a lot of you seemed to miss the point,  the kid was in the road, he wasnt no toddler, how about, *look where you are <deleted> going,* to the kid that is,  cars do not drive on the pavement,(well sometimes), i bet the family are going to pile it on now

38 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

No one died, the kid got a cut lip, bruised leg and 500 baht.

Your right, it’s no biggie....just a kid getting hit by a car and at least he made 500bht...I like the way you think.  I am over reacting.  No one died...happy new year to ya.

Based on shycoconuts evaluation, I’ll just clip a few kids, give’m a wai and 500 bht then keep driving.  See how that works out when I do it to your kid...I’m sure I’ll have no problems renewing my visa here.

4 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

In several of the newer Toyota car models, small people sit so low, that they hardly can see over the dashboard and steering wheel.  We considered to buy a new Toyota, but as my wife is only 150cm we changed our minds after the test drive.

20 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Based on shycoconuts evaluation, I’ll just clip a few kids, give’m a wai and 500 bht then keep driving.  See how that works out when I do it to your kid...I’m sure I’ll have no problems renewing my visa here.

I thought you had flounced away back home.

I was talking about 2 situations, the kid got knocked over and got up straight away.

The post of yours that I quoted suggested that you may die every time you go near a 

road, I responded accurately that no one died in this instance. You just got a little

over excited.

The second post was responding to someone saying it isn't safe to play outside your

house anymore and I was reminiscing about a time I was playing on the road outside

my house and got hit by a car, my fault entirely and I got a whack from my dad for

being a t*t.

The kid got 500 baht, the parents got a whole load more for "medical expenses" so

no one suffered except for the driver who was clearly not paying attention and deserves

to shell out.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Especially when they're both up front!

My missus used to be an awful backseat driver with me, but when her friends were driving us with absolutely no awareness of what was going on around them it was all 'mai pen rai'. It eventually clicked though that her friends are dangerous on the road. Even though they drive more slowly than I do, they have the reaction times of a sloth.

2 hours ago, mercman24 said:

a lot of you seemed to miss the point,  the kid was in the road, he wasnt no toddler, how about, *look where you are <deleted> going,* to the kid that is,  cars do not drive on the pavement,(well sometimes), i bet the family are going to pile it on now

Its a gated estate mate.. not sure if you know about those but kids play on those roads all the time. I got kids on the roads here all the time the idea is to go really slow inside a gated estate and what that woman did was just insane. 

She must have been totally blind and to then just drive off. Kids will be kids and this was not a road somewhere outside this was a road inside a gated village.

Anyway your entitled to your opinion just as I am.  

Archived