Why can't I find 27.5 mountain bikes at any shops?

kaneda

On 1/4/2020 at 2:07 AM, Inn Between said:

Gee, I saw the topic heading and wondered two things: 1) why does anyone need that many mountain bikes, and 2)How does one specifically buy 1/2 a mountain bike?  ???? 

Fortunate he didn't ask for 650b MTB then.

I guess small frames with big wheels are what sells in Thailand. ??

Other than the OP sourcing himself, 888bike sometimes comes up with some gems: eg https://888bike.net/product/8505/จักรยานเสือภูเขาฟูลซัส-giant-off-road-trail-full-suspension-trance-212sp-slx-27-5-giant-my2020

A bit of a search around might uncover others.

1 hour ago, bobfish said:

Fortunate he didn't ask for 650b MTB then.

I guess small frames with big wheels are what sells in Thailand. ??

Other than the OP sourcing himself, 888bike sometimes comes up with some gems: eg https://888bike.net/product/8505/จักรยานเสือภูเขาฟูลซัส-giant-off-road-trail-full-suspension-trance-212sp-slx-27-5-giant-my2020

A bit of a search around might uncover others.

I should probably apologize to the OP. My type of post comes from a terrible combination of a corny sense of humor and pedantic appreciation for accurate use of language. So, sorry for any insincerity and best wishes for finding something that fits your needs. 

Edited by Inn Between

Don't overlook Facebook Marketplace.  Mostly used bikes (but also some new and closeouts from dealers), and many VERY high-end bikes.  I have a Cannondale mtb but just bought a road bike and found a Bianchi Impulso (high-end Italian brand) in excellent condition in my size, and which meets my needs precisely (had just the groupset and wheels I wanted...even had compact cranks with 165mm crank arms).

Personally I was VERY happy with my purchase since the price of a dealer-new Bianchi model would have been over 65,000 baht; I paid 28,000 for a bike that's only one year old and pristine.

FYI, You can search Marketplace all over Thailand not just Chiang Mai, and if you find a bike you want to buy somewhere like Bangkok (where I bought mine), shipping is dirt cheap, and most sellers seem agreeable to accept a return if the bike is other than described. 

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, JungleBiker said:

I read somewhere not long ago that the global trend is moving away from 27.5ers. 

29ers are preferred. 

You would think that it would depend on the size of the rider and the frame, amongst other things.  I've seen some sizing charts that have 27.5 for the smaller frames - is 27.5 about the same as 650?

Yep. 27.5 = 650B 

27.5 vs 29....  27.5 will be around for a while I think: Smaller sized frames, 'aggressive' gravel, quicker handling/park bikes tend towards the smaller size.

29er gets the marketing promos though and they've certainly proven to be fast in competition and roll well. I just haven't ridden one that feels [as] playful. Yet.

Edited by bobfish
can't spel