Happy New Year....immigration swoop on 83 year old Brit on 4,929 day overstay

rooster59

3 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Why are you directing that remark at me while quoting a post by Captain 776.

I never mentioned jail in my post.

It was not direct to you, it was directed to the quoted post only

• Thanks 1

How pathetic...  The two guys posing should be ashamed of themselves.  And they wonder why their reputation has been so damaged.  Thailands reputation and strong baht is going to only get worse for them.  Foreigners bad, Thais never do anything criminal...

Yes, I'm for punishing "real" criminals of any nationality!

Something tells me that a local wanted money from him and he did not give them any.  So the local snitched on him for not being an ATM, in hopes of something like this would happen...

Edited by JMSIII
add
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/4/2020 at 9:33 AM, Old Croc said:

As usual the article leaves out the reasons for this character overstaying for so many years.  Everyone assumes the scant, published details are the full story. 

Of course the Thaivisa social workers all presume he is an exemplary character Just because he's achieved great age.

Unless you know him intimately how do you know he's led a good life? His decision to ignore the immigration laws of his adopted country suggest to me otherwise.

Remember the old adage, only the good die young. Some of the most infamous people on the planet reach high age.

Don't you think that if this overstayer had been involved in any other criminal activity there would have been a big vinyl board 'crim map' with about 20 IO's posing for their regular back slapping, smiling photo?

• Like 2

On 1/4/2020 at 9:03 AM, sammieuk1 said:

I knew his brother Thomas also sadly gone now your NHS Bill is waiting Mr Cook????

He won’t have an NHS bill as once he lands back in the U.K. he informs the authority he is back permanently. He will then be entitled to a bus pass , free TV licences and the current Old age pension . As I stated you have to inform the local authorities that you have returned permanently to live .you need to get your facts right. The 3 month non NHS treatment is only if you are not going to reside in the U.K. on a permanent basis  and in case you are not aware even when receiving your OAP if you return for a holiday even if it’s only two weeks you ring the pension people and you will get the updated pension for that period your in the U.K. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chazar said:

Nah.....you can come back in 10  years  if  accompanied by   both parents!

Do the parents have to be alive, or can we bring them in their coffins?  

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

He won’t have an NHS bill as once he lands back in the U.K. he informs the authority he is back permanently. He will then be entitled to a bus pass , free TV licences and the current Old age pension . As I stated you have to inform the local authorities that you have returned permanently to live .you need to get your facts right. The 3 month non NHS treatment is only if you are not going to reside in the U.K. on a permanent basis  and in case you are not aware even when receiving your OAP if you return for a holiday even if it’s only two weeks you ring the pension people and you will get the updated pension for that period your in the U.K. 

He won't be entitled to NHS treatment if he has been out of the country and not contributed any 'points' to it, same for the UK pension.  If he never told them he no longer residing in the UK he will also be in trouble, unless he still had an address there all these years.  

• Like 1

I love all those gloaters informing us he will not be entitled to NHS. Theoretically  yes, but there is a way around that. But let's not put it on here to have that loophole closed. If he survives IDC and gets back to the UK he will receive some care. I wonder why Immigration came knocking after all this time. Thai family fed up caring for him? Maybe he called the help  line himself.

Just as all the keyboard warriors have kept Thai Immigration fully informed of ways around rules. Most of Somchai's policies come from knee jerk reactions to research done online......

On a more serious note always have plan A alternate plan B and an escape plan C when it all goes tits up here. We are all guests. They are also fed up with clearing up after old farang after death who have no relatives; especially in highly farang  populated areas like Pattaya.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, maprao said:

I love all those gloaters informing us he will not be entitled to NHS. Theoretically  yes, but there is a way around that. But let's not put it on here to have that loophole closed. If he survives IDC and gets back to the UK he will receive some care. I wonder why Immigration came knocking after all this time. Thai family fed up caring for him? Maybe he called the help  line himself.

Just as all the keyboard warriors have kept Thai Immigration fully informed of ways around rules. Most of Somchai's policies come from knee jerk reactions to research done online......

On a more serious note always have plan A alternate plan B and an escape plan C when it all goes tits up here. We are all guests. They are also fed up with clearing up after old farang after death who have no relatives; especially in highly farang  populated areas like Pattaya.

As I was told many years ago by a wise old expat: Never invest any more in Thailand than you cant walk away from. I personally felt I was not secure enough with almost daily changes to immigration so we left while I was still young enough to start again in the UK. The 9 year holiday was fine but I will never leave the UK again. 

• Like 2

On 1/4/2020 at 2:51 PM, steven100 said:

hmmmm .... 83 and will be going back,  it won't be a very nice home coming.

I expect he has nothing except the OAP

But at least he will get an unfrozen pension. But maybe freeze himself. Good luck to him. He will need it.