Happy New Year....immigration swoop on 83 year old Brit on 4,929 day overstay

rooster59

4 hours ago, maprao said:

I hope that someone that knows him posts his circumstances.  This is all very odd.

Does he have a wife? Kids? Thai family?

House condo? Where was he living?

At his age if he is alone I hope someone gives him a helping hand.

Yeah, me too

• Like 1

4,929 Days overstay,   another career criminal removed from Thailand good job probably spent the whole time poncing of some kind hearted Thai people and they ran out of money so were forced to turn him into the immigration department 

On 1/4/2020 at 8:51 AM, steven100 said:

hmmmm .... 83 and will be going back,  it won't be a very nice home coming.

I expect he has nothing except the OAP

Yes,and will be met by an avalanche people screaming for illegal refugee parents,that dumped their children, to be reunited and settled in a nice free home in the UK and all the freebies that come with it,and loads more discriminating,ageist, Liberal agendas.

Sadly my girlfriend thinks the same way as his wife.  She tells me, if I was to marry her, I could stay in Thailand for ever because of her and never go back to immigration...

She does not get that if Thai Immigration sees one mistake, that we can be deported.  She just doesn't get it. 

I really hope they bring his wife in, and cut him a break!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I am very sad to report, first hand, how this happened. I was literally sitting next to Mr. Cook in the Huahin IO when this happened. It actually happened the morning of Jan. 2, not 1 as was reported. The office was closed on Jan 1 of course. 

Before he actually sat before the agent the staff was kind to him, finding him a comfortable chair near the desk until his ticket was called. 

The young male agent spoke very good English as he gently and compassionately told Cook that he had not reported for 13 years and carefully asked him why he had not. The other agents witnessed the event and seemed stunned as well and appeared horrified, apparently knowing what would surely happen. The agent asked if he had a wife and he replied that he did. He said his wife told him he didn't have to report because he was married to a Thai. The agent asked him to call her and he said she was working. He seemed dazed, probably senile, and did not seem to comprehend what was happening. I cannot fault the staff's behavior in any way, but the commanding officer should have trouble facing himself in the mirror for quite some time to come. 

At that point my 90 day report was done so my Thai GF and I left. We discussed it and fervently hoped the local office supervisor would use his discretionary power to mitigate the penalty. How foolish of us. 

The man was more pale and weak than the pictures show, walking very slowly even with a cane. The man could not be a criminal even if it was his fondest ambition. He would probably fall and break a hip if he tried to kick a cat. 

We will probably never know the whole story but apparently his Thai wife was not really taking care with his immigration status as one would hope she would, for whatever reason. It is  probable that she loved him and was simply ignorant of the immigration law. The fact that she was working implies that  he was not flush with retirement funds. 

I'm guessing he has no future in Britain so this is likely a death sentence. I cannot imagine that this will help Thailand's image in any way. 

If the immigration authorities treat him this way, a word to the wise, they will treat any of us the same way. It gives me pause to re-examine my own future here. 

Very sad indeed. 

Well said....... What a sad situation for the old man........God, where's the humanity ?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gaikhao said:

The man was more pale and weak than the pictures show, walking very slowly even with a cane. The man could not be a criminal even if it was his fondest ambition. He would probably fall and break a hip if he tried to kick a cat. 

Was this after they had him in a headlock and wrestled him to the ground. Was a taser gun ever requested.

• Haha 1

On 1/4/2020 at 8:40 AM, rooster59 said:

rid Thailand of unwanted criminal

The pot calling the kettle black" is a proverbial idiom that may be of Spanish origin, of which English versions began to appear in the first half of the 17th century. The idiom is glossed in the original sources as being used of a person who is guilty of the very thing of which they accuse another and is thus an example of psychological projection,[1] or hypocrisy.[2]

15 hours ago, RocketDog said:

If the immigration authorities treat him this way, a word to the wise, they will treat any of us the same way.

A strange thing to say, how should they treat someone overstaying his visa with more than 13 years?   Just because he's old they should not touch him ? 

Edited by balo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sonyboy said:

Yes,and will be met by an avalanche people screaming for illegal refugee parents,that dumped their children, to be reunited and settled in a nice free home in the UK and all the freebies that come with it,and loads more discriminating,ageist, Liberal agendas.

Another fool.  It doesn't take much guessing to know where you come from ...

1 hour ago, RJRS1301 said:

It seems many are suggesting that because he is of advancing years he should be granted dispensation from the law.

He knew his responsibilties, ignorance of the law "expecting his wife knew better" is not a defence I am afraid. He had a responsibilty to check that what he was told (alledgedly) by his wife was correct. 

I hope he has supports back in the UK, sad case indeed.

Suffering from dementia, likely his Thai wife has taken everything.

6 hours ago, balo said:

A strange thing to say, how should they treat someone overstaying his visa with more than 13 years?   Just because he's old they should not touch him ? 

If he had a Thai wife there should be no need for a visa, why hasn't he been given a Thai passport 

• Confused 6

While I feel for this old-timer, we've got thousands of people of the same age jumping through the hoops each year to stay here legally. Even if his Thai wife told him he didn't need a visa (and I find it hard to believe no one has told him this was wrong in 13 years), he has a responsibility to check what actually goes when moving to a new country.

Even if he can't use the internet, it would've taken him a couple of hours to visit an immigration office to clear things up when he moved here.

I'm very sympathetic towards his situation, but the immigration officers can hardly be blamed for doing their job. You might not regard him as a criminal, but the fact of the matter is that he's stayed in the country illegally for over a decade.

Edit: typo

Edited by Myran
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Langkawee said:

If he had a Thai wife there should be no need for a visa, why hasn't he been given a Thai passport 

How do you figure that one out? He is not entitled to a thai passport that I am aware of without citizenship

Are you in a parrell universe, or should all men who are not Thai citizens married to Thai wives, hire you as their immigration agent?

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will certainly sleep better tonight knowing this elderly law breaker is behind bars and is no longer a threat to Thailand.  This is a good example of how effective the yearly visa renewals, 90 day reporting, and TM30's, are in keeping track of less than honest foreigners who fail to abide by the above mentioned requirements.  Great job and please continue to rid Thailand of these dangerous foreign law breakers.

1 hour ago, CMNightRider said:

I will certainly sleep better tonight knowing this elderly law breaker is behind bars and is no longer a threat to Thailand.  This is a good example of how effective the yearly visa renewals, 90 day reporting, and TM30's, are in keeping track of less than honest foreigners who fail to abide by the above mentioned requirements.  Great job and please continue to rid Thailand of these dangerous foreign law breakers.

I hope that post was laced with about 5 tons of irony.  

• Haha 2

On 1/6/2020 at 9:37 AM, RocketDog said:

I am very sad to report, first hand, how this happened. I was literally sitting next to Mr. Cook in the Huahin IO when this happened. It actually happened the morning of Jan. 2, not 1 as was reported. The office was closed on Jan 1 of course. 

Before he actually sat before the agent the staff was kind to him, finding him a comfortable chair near the desk until his ticket was called. 

The young male agent spoke very good English as he gently and compassionately told Cook that he had not reported for 13 years and carefully asked him why he had not. The other agents witnessed the event and seemed stunned as well and appeared horrified, apparently knowing what would surely happen. The agent asked if he had a wife and he replied that he did. He said his wife told him he didn't have to report because he was married to a Thai. The agent asked him to call her and he said she was working. He seemed dazed, probably senile, and did not seem to comprehend what was happening. I cannot fault the staff's behavior in any way, but the commanding officer should have trouble facing himself in the mirror for quite some time to come. 

At that point my 90 day report was done so my Thai GF and I left. We discussed it and fervently hoped the local office supervisor would use his discretionary power to mitigate the penalty. How foolish of us. 

We will probably never know the whole story but apparently his Thai wife was not really taking care with his immigration status as one would hope she would, for whatever reason. It is  probable that she loved him and was simply ignorant of the immigration law. The fact that she was working implies that  he was not flush with retirement funds. 

I'm guessing he has no future in Britain so this is likely a death sentence. I cannot imagine that this will help Thailand's image in any way. 

If the immigration authorities treat him this way, a word to the wise, they will treat any of us the same way. It gives me pause to re-examine my own future here. 

Very sad indeed. 

Do you have any idea what caused him to be at the IO to begin with?

Doesn't sound like anyone "swooped," down on him. Sounds like he either came in on his own or someone dropped him off there?

• Like 2

It would be better if Thai immigration (at discretion) simply ceased the practice of parading elderly men before the camera along with their puerile vinyl boards-which are then accompanied by triumphant cries and ulalations from their less than prepossessing media.

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 8:21 AM, Langkawee said:

I'll read your post this way.

You are saying you think that an expat married to a Thai should be automatically given a visa/Thai passport to remain in Thailand as soon as they get married?

Or, do you actually mean you believe an expat gets a visa to stay as soon as they marry a Thai?

Genuine questions by the way.

Keep in mind that different rules apply to a male expat marrying a Thai female to a female expat marrying a Thai male.

Edited by overherebc

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

I'll read your post this way.

You are saying you think that an expat married to a Thai should be automatically given a visa/Thai passport to remain in Thailand as soon as they get married?

Or, do you actually mean you believe an expat gets a visa to stay as soon as they marry a Thai?

Genuine questions by the way.

Keep in mind that different rules apply to a male expat marrying a Thai female to a female expat marrying a Thai male.

getting a Thai spouse doesn't give you the right to live with him/her.... That's not a human right to live with your wife or husband in Thailand. If the foreign spouse is a woman, there's no need to show money but if he is man , he needs to keep 800k in a bank. Men and women are not equal in Thailand and no one can change that...

4 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

getting a Thai spouse doesn't give you the right to live with him/her.... That's not a human right to live with your wife or husband in Thailand. If the foreign spouse is a woman, there's no need to show money but if he is man , he needs to keep 800k in a bank. Men and women are not equal in Thailand and no one can change that...

Having been here for 30 years and being married I do have a bit of an idea about it. ????

I was actually asking @Langkawee what he meant or understood about being married to a Thai ref' visas.