Happy New Year....immigration swoop on 83 year old Brit on 4,929 day overstay

rooster59

9 hours ago, chocdee120 said:

Another misreported story and made up headline. He handed himself in at the Immigration office as is now sick and doesn’t have the funds to remain in Thailand. 

Do you have evidence of that or can point to somewhere which has?  A newspaper article, perhaps?

I'd really like to know what happened to him because whilst he DID break the law, intentionally or not, this is a real human interest story and he's not going to be able to survive long back in the UK.

Edited by Mister Fixit

On 1/4/2020 at 12:13 PM, Just Weird said:

"How's that?"

My money's on it being total nonsense.

A guy in Victoria (Australia) got fined by the local council for making his firebreaks wider than allowed. His house is still there but his neighbours homes are gone.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bugsy777 said:

A guy in Victoria (Australia) got fined by the local council for making his firebreaks wider than allowed. His house is still there but his neighbours homes are gone.

Good on you Bugsy...

A "guy" in Victoria,eh?

There ain't no money when you take the shilling...

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Bugsy777 said:
On 1/4/2020 at 3:13 PM, Just Weird said:

How's that?"

My money's on it being total nonsense.

his is related to the overstay of 13 years?? Or did I miss the connection??

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 8:50 AM, BestB said:

Oh yeah, no doubt he was A hardcore criminal 

Yes, I'm surprised he didn't get a good flogging, and perhaps a mild draw and quartering, to say the least!

I'm next no doubt

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 6:11 PM, giddyup said:

So using an agent to falsely declare that you have enough funds to meet the criteria, even though you don't, is quite acceptable. Or immigration officials telling you that they can get you your extension, for a price, is perfectly acceptable. Sorry, refuse to continue with somebody who uses that kind of logic. Bye.

Some things may be illegal but at the same time moral. I think the latter is more important. Whst you have to ask yourself is, is this what the Thai people want their officials doing? If that is so then I would think very little of Thai people. However, I believe that most Thai people are moral, intelligent and see a corrupt system that benifits a few in high places while most of the population is opressed and denied moral justice.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

It would be better if Thai immigration (at discretion) simply ceased the practice of parading elderly men before the camera along with their puerile vinyl boards-which are then accompanied by triumphant cries and ulalations from their less than prepossessing media.

..........and celebratory cackles from the "tricoteuses" of Thaivisa.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 2

On 1/4/2020 at 2:11 PM, shy coconut said:

a idiot ????????????

"a ass.....a idiot"

It's a quote from Dickens (Oliver Twist)

002. Charles Dickens (1812-70). Respectfully Quoted: A ...

Mr Bumbles use of "idiosyncratic" grammar "characterises" him.

Frequently seen in Dickens.

While describing the "stupidity" of the law he displays his own "limitation".

Edited by Enoon
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, chocdee120 said:

Another misreported story and made up headline. He handed himself in at the Immigration office as is now sick and doesn’t have the funds to remain in Thailand. 

Im sure no funds had nothing to do with his wife; I'm sure the multitudes suffering from Stockholm syndrome would agree, of course you are in Utopia 666

12 hours ago, overherebc said:

I'll read your post this way.

You are saying you think that an expat married to a Thai should be automatically given a visa/Thai passport to remain in Thailand as soon as they get married?

Or, do you actually mean you believe an expat gets a visa to stay as soon as they marry a Thai?

Genuine questions by the way.

Keep in mind that different rules apply to a male expat marrying a Thai female to a female expat marrying a Thai male.

13 years married to a Thai wife, of course he is entitled to a Thai passport if only he wasn't living in Xenopholand 555. Stockholm syndrome, it's a real mental disorder, incurable it seems 555

Edited by Langkawee
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Langkawee said:

Im sure no funds had nothing to do with his wife; I'm sure the multitudes suffering from Stockholm syndrome would agree, of course you are in Utopia 666

Stockholm syndrome needs hostage.

Hands up all the expats who were kidnapped or abducted and brought here against their will?

Thought so. You cant complain about having to apply to stay here and complain of Stockholm Syndrome.

• Thanks 1

I expect there will be many more stories like this in the future .

Older guys who now can no longer get a visa, either due to not having insurance or not having proof of income or any other necessary requirement .

They will have a choice of either leaving Thailand or staying without a visa .

If they have nowhere else to go, so staying in Thailand without a visa would be the only option

7 hours ago, Langkawee said:

13 years married to a Thai wife, of course he is entitled to a Thai passport if only he wasn't living in Xenopholand 555. Stockholm syndrome, it's a real mental disorder, incurable it seems 555

No there is no “entitlement “ for it to be an entitlement there would need to be legislation or regulations to support that said “entitlement “

What you pose is a hypothetical at best

On 1/7/2020 at 5:47 PM, Sheryl said:

Do you have any idea what caused him to be at the IO to begin with?

Doesn't sound like anyone "swooped," down on him. Sounds like he either came in on his own or someone dropped him off there?

No, I wondered the same myself, but I have no idea. 

Perhaps he was 'dumped' there? There are numerous cynical Thai - bashing speculations possible, but I refuse to go down that road. 

Other TVF members have chastised my compassion but I still believe clemency is warranted in particular cases. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

No, I wondered the same myself, but I have no idea. 

Perhaps he was 'dumped' there? There are numerous cynical Thai - bashing speculations possible, but I refuse to go down that road. 

Other TVF members have chastised my compassion but I still believe clemency is warranted in particular cases. 

Possibly wife's husband dumped him at immigration like an unwanted dog after money ran out? Pure speculation of course. Nonetheless let it serve as a warning to others not to run out of money in Utopia. Youre only as good as your last dollar especially at 83. I've seen demented old fools falling into this trap. Instinctively wanting to stop the upcoming mess, but you can't fix it when an older person has lost their marbles.

Edited by Langkawee
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Enoon said:

..........and celebratory cackles from the "tricoteuses" of Thaivisa.

I had to google it and I quite agree, except of course if the tricoteuses were being supported be those unscrupulous farangs.????

20 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Sooner or later one of these old men is going to die in the IDC. If so, hopefully the UK tabloids get hold of it.

While what you say is true I really don't see anyone losing sleep over it.

Sad as it may be, that's the way the world is.

• Like 1

In Thailand, always be worth more alive then dead. And by extension, always have more value when you are around, then when you are not. This means, no buying any property and putting it in anybody else's name, not matter how sugar n' spice it may seem at first.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, observer90210 said:

In Thailand, always be worth more alive then dead. And by extension, always have more value when you are around, then when you are not. This means, no buying any property and putting it in anybody else's name, not matter how sugar n' spice it may seem at first.

This is not going to help if you are a demented old fool or friends and relatives are threatening and overbearing. 

On 1/4/2020 at 9:21 AM, Chazar said:

They  like to  immediately  pin any problem on the local foreigner, had it  here many a time...........local water  supply has had a lot  go  "missing"....... first thing they say.....check baan farang he got many tree, had about 6 people turn up at the gate, told em to sod  off...............later it  turns  out 3  people  in the  village  all illegally  taking water....no  apologies to us + we  have our  own water  supply via  lake and underground wells. Their water  supply is barely  ever  used because 1 its filthy dirty 2  regularly  broken, 3  full of snails worms etc

Just one example  of the "stories" they love to spout.......got  many more if  you have  all day....cutting down trees was another..............more  rubbish never  cut a thing. Then there was the  filling holes in the road  where it "wasnt my  job" but they could  never afford to do it.

Please tell more, I find this interesting, hadn't thought about being a farang in the village before and the kind of things they would like to pin on us

On 1/14/2020 at 1:20 PM, Hansum man said:

Please tell more, I find this interesting, hadn't thought about being a farang in the village before and the kind of things they would like to pin on us

I have a friend who lives in a village up in sticky rice land he get blamed for everything

• Haha 1

On 1/4/2020 at 8:47 AM, Isaanbiker said:

The public were urged to keep calling 1178 to help with this initiative.

I keep calling this number to report my overstaying neighbor but nobody picks up.

Ditch the snitch! 

hop you use a public phone and NOT ur MOBILE !!!!