Happy New Year....immigration swoop on 83 year old Brit on 4,929 day overstay

rooster59

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Most of the Kiwis on Christmas Island were sentenced to more than 12 months jail, many for assault, drugs and domestic violence offences. Overstayers generally are held at Villawood and other onshore detention centre

You've missed my entire quote out.

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

What part of illegal do you fail to understand. 

It is not illegal to use agents. many do it for various reasons. 

What he did is illegal, he is now in a situation of being deported, he has chosen this lack of action. There is no justification that you can deflect to.

So using an agent to falsely declare that you have enough funds to meet the criteria, even though you don't, is quite acceptable. Or immigration officials telling you that they can get you your extension, for a price, is perfectly acceptable. Sorry, refuse to continue with somebody who uses that kind of logic. Bye.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Why not? 

Because he's been out of the country at least 13 years, and it's safe to assume he's been out a lot longer than that.  A person's entitlement to the NHS and many benefits is lost after 15 years.  

Of course, he may just squeak in if he came 14 years ago and never bothered extending any initial visa he may have had, but I think that's highly unlikely.  

The only benefit he will still be eligible for is the State Pension and there's no way anyone in the UK can survive on £7000 or so a year.  He'd have to pay an NHS surcharge too, I strongly suspect.  

51 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

"And who exactly is the victim here? Your analogy is rubbish."

The State. 

So what exactly is your overarching position here? Although he broke the law, because he is of a certain age and might have some...what? mitigating circumstances in your eyes? he should be what? Let go? Felt sorry for? Or allowed to go free? Or get a special dispensation because of something...? 

Please clear the air. You don't seem to enjoy reading my sentiments that the law is the law. So enlighten me <snip>

Absolutely clueless ! Go and have a good head shake

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, giddyup said:

So using an agent to falsely declare that you have enough funds to meet the criteria, even though you don't, is quite acceptable. Or immigration officials telling you that they can get you your extension, for a price, is perfectly acceptable. Sorry, refuse to continue with somebody who uses that kind of logic. Bye.

Thank goodness, I said none of those things, but you believe what you want

1 minute ago, Orton Rd said:

It's not a belief but a fact that paying a agent to pass on a bribe is an illegal and corrput action.

That was not the reference.

I was not speaking of bribes to officials. 

Using an agent is not illegal though, and many use them for various reasons, many of whom have the correct documentation and funds

This overstayer has had 13 years to regularise his stay here, he chose not to.  He broke the law.

The current laws have been in 12 months.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, EricTh said:

This goes to show these TM30 and 90day reportings are a waste of time. 

Why do immigration need to take 13 years to nap an overstayer when everything is in the computer system?

This is laughable.

Do you think everything is in databases in Thailand since 13 years back? It's more likely that someone snitched on him. 

1 hour ago, Mister Fixit said:

Because he's been out of the country at least 13 years, and it's safe to assume he's been out a lot longer than that.  A person's entitlement to the NHS and many benefits is lost after 15 years.  

Of course, he may just squeak in if he came 14 years ago and never bothered extending any initial visa he may have had, but I think that's highly unlikely.  

The only benefit he will still be eligible for is the State Pension and there's no way anyone in the UK can survive on £7000 or so a year.  He'd have to pay an NHS surcharge too, I strongly suspect.  

That incorrect you lose access to the NHS if you are out of the country for more than 3 months 

If you're moving abroad on a permanent basis, you'll no longer be entitled to medical treatment in the UK under normal NHS rules. This is because the NHS is a residence-based healthcare system.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/moving-abroad/planning-your-healthcare/

If you are a UK national, you have automatic right of abode in the UK. If you have been living abroad, you pass the ordinarily resident test on resuming settled residence here and are immediately entitled to free NHS non-emergency hospital care

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs25_returning_from_abroad_fcs.pdf.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rgraham said:

Good to see they are on top of serious crime. That pensioner will no longer spend all of his income in LOS, good work boys.

Don't be stupid, he is due for a stroke any minute and who will pay the hospital 3 million baht bill? will you step up? nope didn't think so, 

Edited by madmen

I think the Passport software in almost every country has a program running behind it that can very easily run an overstay report.

If you stamped in on a particular date and there has been zero activity on your passport since.

or

If you are here on a Retirement visa, there should be activity on your passport at least every 90 days.

There is many parameters that can be set up to generate any type of report you want.