Koh Larn: Mob of drugged southerners attack jet ski operator after "no photos" argument

rooster59

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

When you can do that, I'll back off defending this one man who was beaten to a pulp by 20 innocent, drugged-up tourists. 

Second POST The kids were not on drugs. The police have admitted that. Why they said it in the first place we will never know. Perhaps a misunderstanding :thumbsup:. Secondly it was the guys son and the kids who got in the initial argument. The jet ski guy  came in with two of his friends with clubs, they then got rocks thrown at them and things escalated further. 

Although police initially said 19 of the suspects tested positive for drug use, lab results from a hospital showed traces of narcotics in only two of the men, according to the police.

Not much sympathy for Jet ski operators. Bad People out!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I am not defending jetski criminals, I am defending this one man, against whom no evidence of scamming has been shown, who was assaulted by 20 tourists.  The tourists got a particularly good deal and they did not accuse him of scamming them.

No scam.  Really? 

They asked for their money back before using the jet ski, and after being abused by him, because he didn't allow photos of the jet ski to be taken, and why would that be????

They no longer wanted to give him their customer, and most likely suspected they would be scammed, so asked for their money back. 

No return of money equals theft, so violence started.  Do you think they would have beaten him if he just gave the money back?

It was Thai on Thai, and don't ever get between a Thai and even 1 baht.  They will kill you for it. 

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I am not defending jetski criminals, I am defending this one man, against whom no evidence of scamming has been shown, who was assaulted by 20 tourists.  The tourists got a particularly good deal and they did not accuse him of scamming them.

Read the OP again.

700 baht per jet ski agreed upon.

Money handed over to him.

Photos start to be taken.  The photos could have been a record of the condition of the jet ski, or simply a photo to remember their trip to Koh Larn, and maybe their first time on a jet ski. 

Owner says no photos and starts to abuse them.

Customers aren't happy now and want their money back, perhaps to go with another operator.

He refuses to give the money back.  (such is the power he thinks he has because the police are in on the scam also)

A fight starts, and possibly the money retrieved, but unknown at this stage.

Jet ski owner got what he deserved.  Probably thought they were wealthy Bangkokians and walk away, just like so many tourists pay up in this scam.

Sympathy zero. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

Customers aren't happy now and want their money back, perhaps to go with another operator.

He refuses to give the money back.  (such is the power he thinks he has because the police are in on the scam also)

They'd agreed a price and a rental and had paid.  He's in the business of renting jetskis, not giving money back after a paid-for rental was agreed to so he does have "the power" not to refund! 

• Sad 2

20 hours ago, androokery said:

I don’t condone violence but I can understand the anger of the renters. I also wonder about the presence of any kind of functioning law enforcement on Koh Larn.

No chance of marching into the police station where you can argue your position with less fear of being stomped on. 

17 hours ago, Just Weird said:

They'd agreed a price and a rental and had paid.  He's in the business of renting jetskis, not giving money back after a paid-for rental was agreed to so he does have "the power" not to refund! 

Did they actually use the jet ski, at all?

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Good point. The article says

"They agreed a price of 700 baht for each of four jet-skis and while waiting were taking pictures"

Typical Jet Ski operators, they dont want you taking photos so they can charge you for unknown damage later. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leaver said:
17 hours ago, Just Weird said:

I don't know but judging from the reports probably not,  that is not the point, though.

They changed their minds after negotiating, agreeing, booking and paying for them.  If they decided then that they didn't want to use them, that was their problem, the operator whose business is renting out jetskis, would not be obligated to refund them just because they'd changed their mind after paying!

Edited by Just Weird
  • Confused 1

.......and this why end users not just dealers should be sentenced to the maximum (worldwide as well) until the message gets home...... 1 tab 1 gram 1 whatever bang em up and post on the front pages of every media.  95% in drug use just simply mind boggling it really is

Screenshot_2020-01-06 Koh Larn Mob of drugged southerners attack jet ski operator after no photos argument.png

Edited by Chivas
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Kenchamp said:

But the goal posts were moved once a deal was done. No photography being one unexpected, made up illegal rule that the renters were not happy with.

I'm just dissapointed that the guys from Songkla didn't give the owners workers a good hiding too. It would have been a much more enjoyable story to read with pictures of the whole scamming crew on their way to hospital and even more enjoyable for people that may have previously been scammed by them

In years to come, they will make a movie about them.  It will be called, "The Songkhla 20 - a fight against evil."    ????

5 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Won't happen in Thailand....

That's why he got beaten. 

Old Thai attitude.  The money is not in my pocket, so it's mine.  It doesn't matter if I haven't delivered a satisfactory product or service that was purchased. 

His fellow Thai's gave him a little attitude adjustment.  ????

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 2:57 AM, CGW said:

True! don't mess with the Songkla boys & don't even consider messing with the boys from NST, they don't mess about! :shock1:

Don't mess with the ladies either. I met my ex in Songkhla and she was from Nakhon Si Thammarat. I'm lucky to be alive still

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Leaver said:

There were many.  This guy is just one of them. 

Likely there was but some years ago I actually stood watching as the scam unfolded on the Pattaya beach, quite interesting.  From the little guy ripping his shirt off and acting tough to the policeman arriving and getting involved... better than Eastenders. I saw quite a few pics on forums of the scam unfolding too, and recognised a few faces. Those faces deserved a bashing and I admit glee!

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Likely there was but some years ago I actually stood watching as the scam unfolded on the Pattaya beach, quite interesting.  From the little guy ripping his shirt off and acting tough to the policeman arriving and getting involved... better than Eastenders. I saw quite a few pics on forums of the scam unfolding too, and recognised a few faces. Those faces deserved a bashing and I admit glee!

They are very good actors.  It's all a show. 

They ruined many people's holiday, yet, it's allowed to flourish, despite it "tarnishing Thailand's image."  ????

I see slim picking for them this high season, and I couldn't care one bit.

On 1/6/2020 at 12:13 PM, Just Weird said:

I don't know but judging from the reports probably not,  that is not the point, though.

They changed their minds after negotiating, agreeing, booking and paying for them.  If they decided then that they didn't want to use them, that was their problem, the operator whose business is renting out jetskis, would not be obligated to refund them just because they'd changed their mind after paying!

Dude, they didn't change their minds about renting the jet skis. They changed their minds because they were not allowed to take pictures. It doesn't take a fantastic leap of logic to assume the jet ski operator did not want pictures taken because he was at the very least thinking of scamming them. They figured it out, which is hardly a master stroke of critical thinking, and wanted their money back, and rightfully so. 

The jet ski guy should have let them take pictures or given their money back. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 7:12 PM, Cereal said:

Dude, they didn't change their minds about renting the jet skis. They changed their minds because they were not allowed to take pictures. It doesn't take a fantastic leap of logic to assume the jet ski operator did not want pictures taken because he was at the very least thinking of scamming them. They figured it out, which is hardly a master stroke of critical thinking, and wanted their money back, and rightfully so. 

The jet ski guy should have let them take pictures or given their money back. 

Also, the guy has no right, under Thai Law, to stop photos being taken in a public pace.

Of course, this guy thinks he's above the law, because of the protection of police, who are involved in the scam.